3.0 ... I messed up.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imdiene22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just needed some advice and would really appreciate any sort of help.

I graduated a few years ago with a 3.0 oGPA and a 2.8 sGPA. I have no real excuse for my sub-optimal performance in undergrad. I just lacked motivation as I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life at the time. During undergrad, I did not have any real upper trend. Unfortunately, during my senior year I failed my Pharmacology class.

Fast forward to a few years later, I have been enrolled in a post-baccaleurate program for the past year and a half and have maintained a 3.9 GPA in 60 units of upper div science courses. My GPA has been raised to a 3.25 overall and around a 3.0 science.

I took the DAT last month and scored a 24AA.

I was really depressed after undergrad because I felt like I had destroyed my future. However, I started to believe in myself and felt that there was hope so I worked harder than I ever have before during the past year and a half.

Sometimes I still have doubts and so I came here today to ask for advice. I was wondering if I still have a chance at dental school?

Should I retake Pharmacology? Unfortunately, I am unable to take it at my undergrad so I would have to take it at a different 4 year institution. Would this be okay?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read all of this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Wowza! A 3.9 in a postbac of upper div science and a 24AA will raise eyebrows of any admissions committee. Sounds like Pharmacology is your last demon to beat! It would be fine to retake it at another 4 year school. I would argue you have a good shot at DDS school considering how well you're doing now.

Stay strong! I'm rooting for your success!

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn't even worry about that class. It's not a prerequisite. Your postbacc GPA is high and your DAT is as well. I would save the money and use that for applications. If you have that 3.9 GPA in upper level science courses, then the last thing you need to worry about is retaking that class you had before you graduated. AADSAS will not do grade replacement either so take that into account when making your decision.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your situation was very similar to mine. I left undergrad with a 3.014 sGPA. My DAT was only around 20AA. I received only 1 interview and was waitlisted. I did a post-bacc for a year and maintained a 3.89 GPA over 50 units (I only got 1 B-, the rest were A's) in all of my upper division sciences in post-bacc. Last cycle when I applied, I received 8 post-December interviews. And now I am almost done finishing up my first semester of dental school.

You have a very real chance, your DAT was much higher than mine. Schools look holistically and the ones that would reject you by just looking at your overall without looking at your recent performance are schools you may not have wanted to go to anyway. Schools definitely notice if you have been doing well recently and have been putting in the effort to be a strong applicant. Admissions at the schools I interviewed at definitely emphasized this. Keep your head high, call schools and ask if you should retake (they know best and they know what they want), and you'll definitely get to where you want to go. Good luck man.

Reactions: 2 users
Wowza! A 3.9 in a postbac of upper div science and a 24AA will raise eyebrows of any admissions committee. Sounds like Pharmacology is your last demon to beat! It would be fine to retake it at another 4 year school. I would argue you have a good shot at DDS school considering how well you're doing now.

Stay strong! I'm rooting for your success!

Thank you! I know without a doubt I will be able to get an A in Pharmacology this time around.

I wouldn't even worry about that class. It's not a prerequisite. Your postbacc GPA is high and your DAT is as well. I would save the money and use that for applications. If you have that 3.9 GPA in upper level science courses, then the last thing you need to worry about is retaking that class you had before you graduated. AADSAS will not do grade replacement either so take that into account when making your decision.

Thank you for your advice. My GPA is closer to 3.98 as I received one A- in the past 50 units I have taken.

Your situation was very similar to mine. I left undergrad with a 3.014 sGPA. My DAT was only around 20AA. I received only 1 interview and was waitlisted. I did a post-bacc for a year and maintained a 3.89 GPA over 50 units (I only got 1 B-, the rest were A's) in all of my upper division sciences in post-bacc. Last cycle when I applied, I received 8 post-December interviews. And now I am almost done finishing up my first semester of dental school.

You have a very real chance, your DAT was much higher than mine. Schools look holistically and the ones that would reject you by just looking at your overall without looking at your recent performance are schools you may not have wanted to go to anyway. Schools definitely notice if you have been doing well recently and have been putting in the effort to be a strong applicant. Admissions at the schools I interviewed at definitely emphasized this. Keep your head high, call schools and ask if you should retake (they know best and they know what they want), and you'll definitely get to where you want to go. Good luck man.

Thank you for your kind words. I'll contact schools and see what they say. Congrats your acceptance and I hope dental school is treating you well.

I got in with your scores and GPA, as well as the same upward trend. If I can do it, so can you. Make sure you shine in other areas too. Don't bother retaking the class, just move on

Reactions: 1 user
Your undergrad gpa and post bacc gpa are higher than mine were; you'll be fine. Apply early.

Your undergrad gpa and post bacc gpa are higher than mine were; you'll be fine. Apply early.

You got into NYU dental with less than a 3.0? Did you do any extracurriculars?

Apply now!
I think you are good to go. Just make sure you have good Personal Statement and apply to around 12-15 schools.

What did your profile look like? Dat scores, GPA etc? If you don't mind me asking?

undergrad sgpa: 2.9
undergrad ogpa: 3.1???
post bacc gpa: 3.7

DATs: 20->22->24

extracurricular: nothing special; adviser, tutor, 200-300hr shadowing?, club activities/positions

undergrad sgpa: 2.9
undergrad ogpa: 3.1???
post bacc gpa: 3.7

DATs: 20->22->24

extracurricular: nothing special; adviser, tutor, 200-300hr shadowing?, club activities/positions

Okay, you did a post bacc. That changes everything. Did you get a scholarship or anything from overpriced NYU? Are their clinics any good? I heard they don't specialize, is that true?

Okay, you did a post bacc. That changes everything. Did you get a scholarship or anything from overpriced NYU? Are their clinics any good? I heard they don't specialize, is that true?

Yes, as previously mentioned, I did a post bacc. Scholarships are usually reserved for the more impressive applicants. The clinics don't fall behind those of other schools; to be honest i feel like clinics are about the same at any school for the most part. Students who do well tend to specialize and students who don't tend not to. In a class of ~380 you'll get a lot of people who will specialize and a lot of people who won't.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, as previously mentioned, I did a post bacc. Scholarships are usually reserved for the more impressive applicants. The clinics don't fall behind those of other schools; to be honest i feel like clinics are about the same at any school for the most part. Students who do well tend to specialize and students who don't tend not to. In a class of ~380 you'll get a lot of people who will specialize and a lot of people who won't.

So NYU does have specializations? Or are you saying that people with good grades can specialize somewhere else?

Both, NYU has specialty residencies but NYU dental students can apply for residency position elsewhere too.

Thanks, been using your bio notes. They're pretty helpful. I know you said that you would post your notes for other courses. Did you put them up anywhere, or are you giving them out through PM? If so would you be able to give me a copy, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Just an update for those who care, I ended up not retaking Pharmacology and so far have 5 pre-Dec interviews. :)

Reactions: 12 users
Just an update for those who care, I ended up not retaking Pharmacology and so far have 5 pre-Dec interviews. :)
GREAT story! You will be an inspiration to many on here and outside about never giving up!!

GREAT story! You will be an inspiration to many on here and outside about never giving up!!

Thank you sir. Hopefully I have the privilege of updating here in December about acceptances.

If I can inspire even one person to not give up, then I'm super content. 4 years ago after graduating my undergrad with a super low GPA, I remember spending hours on SDN and searching through the <3.0 club thread and being inspired by everyone who had once been in the same position as myself.

Last edited:
I think you have a good shot even without pharm re-take. Not necessary since you've shown that you can perform in upper level courses by getting 3.9 and also crushing that DAT!

I think you have a good shot even without pharm re-take. Not necessary since you've shown that you can perform in upper level courses by getting 3.9 and also crushing that DAT!

Haha, good encouragement but he already mentioned he didn't have to and he has 5 pre december interviews!

Update #2: Got accepted to dental school! I’m also on the waitlist for a couple other schools and have 2 more interviews coming up.

Don’t give up low GPA people!