3.0 science 3.2 overall, Master Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

543vegas10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some feedback. I am currently a Masters student in Kinesiology at UNLV. Haven't taken the MCAT yet will this coming summer. Science gpa 3.0 overall 3.2. Getting my EMT cert, lots of volunteer hours in undergrad, currently volunteering at a free clinic. Involved with research currently in the masters program, going the non-thesis route. I will apply mostly to DO schools but my #1 is University Nevada SOM. I am working for at least a 30 on MCAT. Any advice about other things I need to be doing to be competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you be a bit more specific with the 3.2 GPA ? Is that your undergraduate GPA? What's your master's GPA?

I think that you're ECs are good, but you can definitely pick up some other activities that can diversify your application. See if you can get a leadership position, tutor, or volunteer in a non-clinical community activity. Start shadowing a DO physician and get a letter of rec from them so that you're prepared for applying to the DO schools. Also, you should really aim for 32+ on the MCAT since your GPA is lower than the average.

Also, with your GPA as it is, you need to apply early even with a good MCAT score.

Good luck!

I am looking for some feedback. I am currently a Masters student in Kinesiology at UNLV. Haven't taken the MCAT yet will this coming summer. Science gpa 3.0 overall 3.2. Getting my EMT cert, lots of volunteer hours in undergrad, currently volunteering at a free clinic. Involved with research currently in the masters program, going the non-thesis route. I will apply mostly to DO schools but my #1 is University Nevada SOM. I am working for at least a 30 on MCAT. Any advice about other things I need to be doing to be competitive?
What brought your GPAs down? Did you retake any classes so as to invoke the AACOMAS grade forgiveness policy?

Nonmedical community service that helps the poor benefits an application, as do teaching and peer leadership. Be sure to shadow a DO physician and get an LOR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you be a bit more specific with the 3.2 GPA ? Is that your undergraduate GPA? What's your master's GPA?

I think that you're ECs are good, but you can definitely pick up some other activities that can diversify your application. See if you can get a leadership position, tutor, or volunteer in a non-clinical community activity. Start shadowing a DO physician and get a letter of rec from them so that you're prepared for applying to the DO schools. Also, you should really aim for 32+ on the MCAT since your GPA is lower than the average.

Also, with your GPA as it is, you need to apply early even with a good MCAT score.

Good luck!

3.2 GPA is only undergrad overall GPA. Im in my first semester of the masters program so I dont have a GPA there yet. I tutor algebra on the side for extra income, i work at a non emergency medical transport company, I am also in the medical reserve corp which provides various volunteer events throughout the year. I am the vice pres of a grad student club on campus, we coordinate the viewing of various documentaries throughout the year. The only real thing i am lacking is shadowing, as you mentioned. Anything else to beef up the resume? I am hoping for a graduate assistantship next year in my program.

Great job with the EC's and I definitely recommend that you continue them. Also, look into retaking pre-req classes as Catalystik said. You can use the GPA bump and definitely do well on the MCAT. Otherwise, get the shadowing and you're the right track!

What brought your GPAs down? Did you retake any classes so as to invoke the AACOMAS grade forgiveness policy?

Nonmedical community service that helps the poor benefits an application, as do teaching and peer leadership. Be sure to shadow a DO physician and get an LOR.

My GPA was due to low grades in gen chem and 1 bad semester in ochem, C's in all these. I struggled with chemistry. I would retake but taking undergrad courses as a graduate student for some reason doesn't get graded, not really sure how that would factor in to AACOMAS GPA. I am registered for biochem this upcoming semester but still am not sure how those grades will factor in to my overall and science undergrad GPAs.

Nonmedical community service- circle K, two year church mission, various service clubs in undergrad
teaching- private algebra tutor
peer leadership- vice pres of grad student club

I definitely will shadow a DO

I would retake but taking undergrad courses as a graduate student for some reason doesn't get graded, not really sure how that would factor in to AACOMAS GPA.
A pass/fail-type grade won't help you. DO schools tend to be tolerant of CC coursework for retakes. Perhaps there is a program in your current city that would mesh with your schedule?

I am registered for biochem this upcoming semester but still am not sure how those grades will factor in to my overall and science undergrad GPAs.
If it isn't required for your masters, you can mark it as a postbac class and it will be factored into your undergrad GPA, from my understanding.

I don't think you're going to have much luck with U NV SOM. Stick with the DO schools, especially TUCOM-NV