3.02 c GPA 3.02 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ximmanis219

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm completely new to this forum as I have decided last minute to go into medicine. First I need to say that my undergraduate career has not in any way been easy. I went through the roughest times of my life throughout college but have changed completely. My last semesters have been my strongest yet with nothing below a 3.00 for each class. However one main reason why my GPA is so low is because I received a 0.0 in a class I worked really hard in and wasn't the only student that had failed. The course is no longer offered because the professor retired. Students at my school have told me to fight the zero. My advisor "couldn't do anything about it" and I have yet to receive a reply from the chairman of the department. Do I take this matter to the dean, or explain this problem on my application somewhere when I apply to schools? (The course was an animal behavior course)

I also worked throughout my undergraduate career at the same place, shadowed veterinarians here and there when I thought about going into vet medicine. I have done other sorts of volunteer work as well, none of which pertain to medicine because I decided recently to pursue it.

Currently I have applied and gotten a patient contact volunteer job at my local hospital doing the infant hearing screenings. I start training this weekend.

I am also enrolled in a medical scribing class at my university. This leads to working as a medical scribe in the ED at the same hospital my volunteer job is at.

As for the MCAT, no I have not taken it yet but plan to in 2014. Am I relying on an amazing MCAT score, great letters of recommendation, and tons of volunteer/scribing hours to be considered? Replies are much appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I'm completely new to this forum as I have decided last minute to go into medicine. First I need to say that my undergraduate career has not in any way been easy. I went through the roughest times of my life throughout college but have changed completely. My last semesters have been my strongest yet with nothing below a 3.00 for each class. However one main reason why my GPA is so low is because I received a 0.0 in a class I worked really hard in and wasn't the only student that had failed. The course is no longer offered because the professor retired. Students at my school have told me to fight the zero. My advisor "couldn't do anything about it" and I have yet to receive a reply from the chairman of the department. Do I take this matter to the dean, or explain this problem on my application somewhere when I apply to schools? (The course was an animal behavior course)

I also worked throughout my undergraduate career at the same place, shadowed veterinarians here and there when I thought about going into vet medicine. I have done other sorts of volunteer work as well, none of which pertain to medicine because I decided recently to pursue it.

Currently I have applied and gotten a patient contact volunteer job at my local hospital doing the infant hearing screenings. I start training this weekend.

I am also enrolled in a medical scribing class at my university. This leads to working as a medical scribe in the ED at the same hospital my volunteer job is at.

As for the MCAT, no I have not taken it yet but plan to in 2014. Am I relying on an amazing MCAT score, great letters of recommendation, and tons of volunteer/scribing hours to be considered? Replies are much appreciated. :)
As for scribing, you could technically just search and apply to a scribe program near you (coming from a scribe who did). It is no doubt a great experience.

If that class if not offered and you really can't fight for it, use the benefit of grade replacement. See if you can take the class at some other university and have it transferred (others could answer that better for you than I can).

Plan on doing well on MCAT (I didn't do so well, my threat is just a few above yours at this minute) but DO NOT simply rely on it. You better study. Take it once early and see what you get. Plan on a retake just in case. Unless you score amazing at once off course.

You and I have similar stats and I wish you the best of luck. Maybe we'll be classmates one day =].

You're at a severe disadvantage and close to the end of likely applicants to be admitted. This is a combination of low GPA and no relevant EC. You'll also have to explain the jump from vet to medicine, which I believe is doable but necessary. If you can get the science GPA to at least a 3.3 and a 26 on the MCAT, DO school will be open to you. As it stands, I don't think >30 would help; it might have if your only shortcoming had been GPA and you applied early and broadly.