3.07sgpa 3.16cgpa URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thatguy687

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did horribly my Freshman year (2.6gpa), and I have been working my whole college career (not an excuse). I am going to be a junior in the fall. If I do amazingly this year (about a 3.7), I will have a 3.33cgpa. Now if I also get a 34 on the MCAT, do you think I have a chance at Allo med schools? Im a NY resident.

Finally, I am also thinking that if everthing goes as planned (see above) I will join the americorps for a year (NCCC) then come back and start my senior year and apply to med schools

Oh and If this helps here are my ECs; Asst. Manager at a Subway, some volunteering, Tutor, a member of a couple of clubs (running, martial arts and 2 other academic clubs), and in a scholarship program

These are a few of the schools im thinking about so far (any other suggestions would be appreciated):

NYMC, HOWARD, MEHARRY, MOREHOUSE, SUNY BUFFALO, ALBANY,and George Washington University
Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

What state are you from? What URM are you?

And pre-dental? I'm confused.

Oh wow Ive got to change that:laugh:. I am Pre Med, and my home state is new york. Im first generation american my parents are from Nigeria so I am Nigerian- American.

Members don't see this ad :)
Disregard that state question....must be sleep deprivation :laugh:. I think you definitely need to bring up the GPA, as it seems that schools are more forgiving of a lower MCAT than a lower GPA. Have you done any shadowing?

Its okay thanks for the quick reply, I recently changed my mind from predent to premed and I shadowed a lot of dentist but all of that is invalid so I plan on shadowing starting this year. BTW what do you think about the americorps thing or the school selections?

get in some more volunteering and clinical experiences.

obviously dont aim for a 3.7. aim for a 4.0

you need a good mcat.. 34 is nice in theory, but honestly get as high as you can.

it seems that schools are more forgiving of a lower MCAT than a lower GPA.

I've actually heard (and witnessed) the opposite. The MCAT is the "great equalizer". Not all schools teach at the same level. I'm in a public college and they teach science courses at the graduate level, exams are about as difficult as MIT's (albeit slightly less tougher). But no one outside NYC knows that or can account for it.

I guess you should just be prepared to explain that in an interview, and account for your past academic sins. :xf:

Its hard to advice on specific schools without actual stats: MCAT, new GPA etc. It's all hypothetical at this point. You have 2 yrs to graduate (presumably), so can turn things around. FOCUS on acing all your classes from now on, get tutoring on any weak areas, cut down work hours if need be, in short do whatever it take to get 4.0 (or close) going forward. Try to get the best score you can on the MCAT, and get clinical exposure. I'll prioritize shadowing (if you don't have any) over americorps.

Gameplan:
1. Ace ur remaining courses
2. Ace the MCAT
3. Shadow & volunteering
4. Maintain some of ur other ECs if possible.

I think you'll be fine if you work on these things.