3.1 cum and sci, 25 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jockdoc97

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I am about to submit my application. I know I am late in the game for this cycle. I have a 3.1 cum and about the same for science. I have done a post bac program and finished with a 3.19 in the program. I have taken the MCAT twice and bumped up to a 25 from a 24. Illinois resident. Stellar extra curricular activities and letters of rec.

Top choices:

CCOM
KCUMB
AZCOM
DMU

Also applying to: ACOM, Marian, LECOM.

Does anyone have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see any top choice accepting you. The GPA is simply too low and the MCAT below their average.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just apply, and play the game. If you read school specfiic thread threads you'll find that people get into all types of schools with lower end stats. People will say that is the exception to the rule, but it really is not. Besides what is the worst that can happen.... you get rejected and have to reapply. So what? What is one more year before the rest of your life? What's the rush?

I say apply and see what happens. You never know...

Also TriagePreMed is a negative nancy.

i think its going to be tough because

A. You didnt do amazing in your post-bar
B. You didnt improve that much on your MCAT, and its still below avg.

C. APPLY! you still have a shot. What are you stellar EC's?

Hey everyone.

I am about to submit my application. I know I am late in the game for this cycle. I have a 3.1 cum and about the same for science. I have done a post bac program and finished with a 3.19 in the program. I have taken the MCAT twice and bumped up to a 25 from a 24. Illinois resident. Stellar extra curricular activities and letters of rec.

Top choices:

CCOM
KCUMB
AZCOM
DMU

Also applying to: ACOM, Marian, LECOM.

Does anyone have any advice?

I don't see how you will get accepted anywhere with those stats. You did a post-bac and still did subpar--and your MCAT is low. If you are serious about getting an MD or DO you need to raise your stats! I don't know if you could get into PT, optometry, or podiatry schools with these stats...never mind med school!

I don't see how you will get accepted anywhere with those stats. You did a post-bac and still did subpar--and your MCAT is low. If you are serious about getting an MD or DO you need to raise your stats! I don't know if you could get into PT, optometry, or podiatry schools with these stats...never mind med school!

Pod average mcat is 22 for your info...

Strongly concur, especially with C. You'll get in somewhere (but not my program).

i think its going to be tough because

A. You didnt do amazing in your post-bar
B. You didnt improve that much on your MCAT, and its still below avg.

C. APPLY! you still have a shot. What are you stellar EC's?

Apply and broaden the list of schools. If your EC's are as good as you say, hopefully that gives you the necessary leg up to get in. Goodluck!

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the honest advice-even those of you who were a tad harsh. I will be adding some schools to my list and giving it my best shot. That's all any of us are doing, right? give it everything i've got and see what happens.

My only advice would be to really try and get your MCAT bumped up closer to a 28-32 and you would probably be in a much better spot. If you're flexible, it doesn't hurt to try applying this year and, if that doesn't work out, really buckle down on the MCAT for next year while taking a few supplementary classes. My GPA is in a similar spot, so I'm also crossing my fingers and applying broadly.

Good luck!!

Secondaries are trickling in. No rejections thus far. Fingers crossed! Any advice would be helpful!!! Thanks all!

Just apply, and play the game. If you read school specfiic thread threads you'll find that people get into all types of schools with lower end stats. People will say that is the exception to the rule, but it really is not. Besides what is the worst that can happen.... you get rejected and have to reapply. So what? What is one more year before the rest of your life? What's the rush?

I say apply and see what happens. You never know...

Also TriagePreMed is a negative nancy.
It's not about being a negative nancy. Both GPA are lower than a standard deviation and the MCAT is significantly below the average. If you have 2 out of 3 variables in the average, I'm usually supportive, but not 0 of 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not about being a negative nancy. Both GPA are lower than a standard deviation and the MCAT is significantly below the average. If you have 2 out of 3 variables in the average, I'm usually supportive, but not 0 of 3.

So what do you suggest....?

I am in a similar situation to yourself. I think the best bet at this point is to apply mainly mid tier and low tier DO schools.

If you can wait a year or two (better option), then do grade replacement and get the MCAT score up.

First off, sorry I didn't see that you had an "extra" list with ACOM and Marian on it. Those are realistic. Apply to newer schools such as PCOM-GA, Touro-Middletown, LECOM-Seaton Hill, Marian U, Alabama COM, etc. You CAN get into medical school. You just happen to have very low chances at the specific ones you listed.

first off, sorry i didn't see that you had an "extra" list with acom and marian on it. Those are realistic. Apply to newer schools such as pcom-ga, touro-middletown, lecom-seaton hill, marian u, alabama com, etc. You can get into medical school. You just happen to have very low chances at the specific ones you listed.

+1

Save you money, don't apply to Marian. They screen out less than 3.2 sGPA

Thanks all. I appreciate the feedback. I know that I am an underdog so as Goro said, no need to sugar coat anything. I am going to give it my all and see what happens. I would rather not have to apply again but a dream is a dream! I have a lot of ECs and Letters so hopefully those will sway in my favor. And if I get an II maybe my good looks and suave nature will win some of the admissions boards (joking!)

Western Michigan
3.2 gpa, 24 mcat
However, the school has a bad reputation

Hey guys, Im at a 3.23 cgpa, and a 3.0 sgpa. and I just took the MCAT on August 22. Although you never know untill you see the actual score, I have a good feeling about it. I am willing to go to any low tier and new DO schools. Do you guys think it is too late to send in my apps right now??? I have good EC's including College of Medicine Research, 200+ hours shadowing, and a strong LOR from a DO doctor. (Chairman of the hospital I work at).. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank You in advance.

Give it your all and see what happens. That's what I'm doing. What's the worst that can happen? You apply again.

I thought only Cambell screened that high?

I was screened out pre-secondary from both; it might have been my application itself and I'll never know but Marian, as Campbell, didn't wait for my summer transcript update. That puts my sGPA at >3.22. I have been getting love from the other schools that do prescreen though.

Secondaries in. Complete at all schools officially. Now just waiting. I think this is the hardest part :(

mu-com, lecom, ccom, azcom, western-pomona, touro-nv, campbell, acom, lmu, and william carey.

I would throw in WVSOM, PCOM Ga if from the Southeast, and also PNWU if you're from the pacific NW...it isn't that late even now.

I would throw in WVSOM, PCOM Ga if from the Southeast, and also PNWU if you're from the pacific NW...it isn't that late even now.

Thanks, I will do that! Appreciated man.

Had a few interviews. Waitlisted. Still waiting on a few schools. Any suggestions?

Had a few interviews. Waitlisted. Still waiting on a few schools. Any suggestions?
Congratulations on the interviews -- sorry they all ended up as waitlists. Wait it out and see what happens! Also, think about sending updates if you have not had contact since the interview.

I'll echo my advice from back in August (only useful if you're going to re-apply). Here are the problems with your application as conveyed:
1) Poor MCAT with a re-take that barely increased. Try and get that MCAT improved at least 3 more points.
2) Poor uGPA with a poor post-bacc GPA as well. See if you can re-take a few classes to bump up your GPA. It shouldn't take all that much to get you up significantly.
3) You didn't apply to all that many schools (10?) Maybe you should add a few more next season.

Do your best to keep send them occasional update letters, utilize additional letters of rec from your activities during this application year if it fits your situation. Maybe start prepping an LOI for your top school. I know the feeling, but unfortunately at the post-interview point, you have done pretty much everything you can and besides what I listed before, it is really out of your hands now.

Other than that, start prepping either for a reapplication, or activities to improve the weak points in your application. Depending on the number of interviews you received, it may be that your stats were alright but your interviewing skills really hurt you. You probably want to practice those if you end up reapplying.

you need to give more details. How many is a few? 3? 5? any of them ranked? and where? more waitlists = higher likelihood you are still going to get in.

Last edited: