3.1 Gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikejames

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some DO schools that would really accept a student with a 3.17 GPA. I know Michigan State wont but I know Pikeville college will. Is there anymore DO schools that people have in mind? What do you guys think that will and not accept a student with a 3.1 GPA

Members don't see this ad.

What are some DO schools that would really accept a student with a 3.17 GPA. I know Michigan State wont but I know Pikeville college will. Is there anymore DO schools that people have in mind? What do you guys think that will and not accept a student with a 3.1 GPA

I have had a lot of interview invites with a 3.2.

if you offset it w/ a solid MCAT for a DO school (ie 28-30ish) then your options will go up...its impossible to say where you could be accepted and denied based upon GPA alone

Members don't see this ad :)
if you offset it w/ a solid MCAT for a DO school (ie 28-30ish) then your options will go up...its impossible to say where you could be accepted and denied based upon GPA alone

This is true. It's also dependant on when you apply and what your EC's are and LOR's. It's a lot more than just GPA. I think most schools that I've looked in to require something above a 2.7 or 3.0.

i had a 3.0 and a 30 (12P,11B,7V).. i applied to western and got in. it was my second year in a row applying there though so that might have helped

The way to get in with a lower gpa or stats is to apply EARLY ( early = June )

I have a 3.2 - 3.3 overall gpa, and I've had interviews and acceptances. What hurt me at some schools I think was that I applied in the last week of August which I personally feel is too late.

I have a 3.2 - 3.3 overall with a 27 and I go to MSU, GREAT LOR's according to the admissions people at MSU and I got waitlisted at MSU b/c by the time they got my file for review, they filled up 90 percent of the class already.

And on the other hand I know someone with a 21 who is in my year who got into MSU .... I'm really kicking myself right now for not applying earlier

gluck !!

I understand you don't want to waste money but you should apply to all of your top choices. This is the same for applying to residencies, etc. The only places I would not apply would be schools that state their cutoff is above your GPA. Even if admissions material shows that your stats are below the incoming class average I'd apply if it was a top choice. LORs from Attending Associate professors, applying early, DO letter, school visits, etc. are things you can do to help your chances. I think doing whatever you can to apply with the highest MCAT possible goes a long way.

you can find GPA requirements of most schools in the school descriptions here:
http://www.aacom.org/colleges/index.asp