MD & DO 3.14 cgpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gevalent9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, i am a 3rd year sophmore at Northern Michigan University. Last semester i had to withdraw from some classes due to medical purposes so i had to take a semesters worth of Ws. I still haven't taken any of my major premed coursework classes(General Chemistry, Organic chemistry, physics etc.) i only completed biology 1 and i received a C+ in that. What are my chances of getting into medical school if i ace my upcoming premed courses and do really well on the mcat. Is my overall gpa to low right now? Am i screwed? Please give some advice if possible.

Members don't see this ad.

You have taken 1 pre-requisite class; The sample size is far too small to make any gross assumptions.

Having said that, the cumulative GPA is rather low.

Reactions: 1 user
Take more prereqs and get As in all of them. Do what you have to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently, i am a 3rd year sophmore at Northern Michigan University. Last semester i had to withdraw from some classes due to medical purposes so i had to take a semesters worth of Ws. I still haven't taken any of my major premed coursework classes(General Chemistry, Organic chemistry, physics etc.) i only completed biology 1 and i received a C+ in that. What are my chances of getting into medical school if i ace my upcoming premed courses and do really well on the mcat. Is my overall gpa to low right now? Am i screwed? Please give some advice if possible.
Yes, your GPA is too low right now, but you have time to turn things around. The Ws aren't going to hurt you. Getting a C+ in Bio I does not inspire confidence that you will be able to "ace" the rest of the prerequisites, but we do see miracles happen here on SDN, so I know it can be done.

You should be aware that (AACOMAS) DO med schools have a grade forgiveness policy if you retake any classes that are dragging your GPA down. Retakes must be for the same credits or greater, but they don't have to take place at the same school. Only the most recent grade is included in AACOMAS application GPA calculations. With a complete turn-around in grades from this point forward and a strong MCAT score, MD schools could eventually be within your reach as well, but they don't forgive any grades, so the path to this goal might take longer and cost more.

Your best bet is to evaluate whither medicine Is for you... there are many health care professions that are respectable and don't require as much above average academic performance... if you cant get atleast an A- or B+ in Bio 1 then do you think you could handle medical school curriculum? as stated above the sample size is too small to tell, but ONE C+ wont kill you. More than 1 on the other hand, repeated W's will stand out in a negative way on an application. (take what I say with a grain of salt, and use as motivation. I do mean what I said though)

Yes, your GPA is too low right now, but you have time to turn things around. The Ws aren't going to hurt you. Getting a C+ in Bio I does not inspire confidence that you will be able to "ace" the rest of the prerequisites, but we do see miracles happen here on SDN, so I know it can be done.

You should be aware that (AACOMAS) DO med schools have a grade forgiveness policy if you retake any classes that are dragging your GPA down. Retakes must be for the same credits or greater, but they don't have to take place at the same school. Only the most recent grade is included in AACOMAS application GPA calculations. With a complete turn-around in grades from this point forward and a strong MCAT score, MD schools could eventually be within your reach as well, but they don't forgive any grades, so the path to this goal might take longer and cost more.

Hey, i understand what your saying but the C+ i received in bio 1 was not because i had a difficult time grapsing the material, it was simply because i was a dumb freshman that hated going to class. So i missed a few quizzes and assignments. I have taken upper level bio courses already. My major is Microbiology i have already taken Anatomy, Diseases in a society(a special topics course at my school), Medical microbiology and parasitology and i have received Grades B+ and higher in each of these courses. I have also taken Psychopharmacology in the psychology department. That has a lot of biology to it along with neuroscience. So me handling coursework is not difficult at all.

Your best bet is to evaluate whither medicine Is for you... there are many health care professions that are respectable and don't require as much above average academic performance... if you cant get atleast an A- or B+ in Bio 1 then do you think you could handle medical school curriculum? as stated above the sample size is too small to tell, but ONE C+ wont kill you. More than 1 on the other hand, repeated W's will stand out in a negative way on an application. (take what I say with a grain of salt, and use as motivation. I do mean what I said though)

Thank you for your comment and concern but i can assure you medicine is definitely for me. I have wanted to be a doctor since i was 4 years old. As stated above my low grade in biology 1 was not due to me not being able to grasp the material but simply because i never went to class. It was my freshman year and i made a lot of dumb mistakes. I have taken other upper level bio courses and a few biological aspect psychology courses and i have excelled in all of them. Not to mention i do have a lot of shadowing and volunteer hours so far so i am sure medicine is for me. Also as far as the W's are concerned i have a written excuse in why i had to withdraw that term. As stated before it was due to medical purposes. The dean of students at the school can verify this and i was also grated a 50% refund because of the medical issues i was having.

Hey, i understand what your saying but the C+ i received in bio 1 was not because i had a difficult time grapsing the material, it was simply because i was a dumb freshman that hated going to class. So i missed a few quizzes and assignments. I have taken upper level bio courses already. My major is Microbiology i have already taken Anatomy, Diseases in a society(a special topics course at my school), Medical microbiology and parasitology and i have received Grades B+ and higher in each of these courses. I have also taken Psychopharmacology in the psychology department. That has a lot of biology to it along with neuroscience. So me handling coursework is not difficult at all.
Sounds promising. :thumbup: