MD & DO WAMC Florida Resident 508 MCAT/Undergrad cGPA 3.149/ Masters cGPA 3.83

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Banana364

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I generated a school list and wanted to get any feedback I could on it. I'm a Florida resident and luckily qualified for the fee assistance program so I can apply to all the Florida schools and then 12 more schools that I match up with. I also plan to apply to DO also. I outlined my stats below and the titles of my extracurricular activities to give an overview of my application.

My overall undergraduate GPA is a 3.149 with my sGPA trend being Freshman: 3.238 Sophomore: 2.611 Junior: 2.5 Senior: 3.417 with no extra activities. When I decided to go to medical school after a burn accident involving a close family member, I went to do a Biomedical Sciences Masters degree GPA: 3.889 only getting 1 B and all A's with only one class left till I finish.

My MCAT score is a 508 C/P:127 CARS: 126 B/B:127 P/S: 128

Extracurricular activities:
Clinical Technician - 2000 Hours (Clinical Employment & Meaningful Experience)
NASA Fellowship - 780 Hours + projected until matriculation (Research & Meaningful Experience)
Intercollegiate Football Athlete - 520 hours because athletic career cut short in first years of undergrad (Meaningful Experience)
Physician Shadowing - 14 hours + More this month after background check
The most prestigious and significant university award inductee (Award) - 0 hours
Biolabs Laboratory Assistant - 410 hours (Clinical Employment)
2022 Global Sustainability Space Challenge Finalist - 150 hours (Leadership)
Poster Presentations with 2 awards for 1 local and 1 state level conference - 10 hours
Publications (4 with more pending) - 0 hours
2x NASA USRA Internship - 800 hours
Fire Fighter Academy - 450 hours
Undergraduate Research Assistant - 1000 hours
Biology Department Graduate Teaching Assistant - 320 hours
Boxing (Hobby) - 900 hours

Background: I am from a medically underserved population/area according to the U.S. Health Resources and Services Administration, a high school with a 22/100 college readiness index according to US News and World Reports, socioeconomically disadvantaged based on my parents, and first-generation. My seed I talk about in my personal statement for wanting to be a physician is the death of my father who sacrificed his life to save my little brother when I was 13 and my little brother suffered a burn accident a few years ago when I was a young man which caused me to start the master's degree and started in 2020 to do all my extracurricular activities to go to medical school.

In-state School List:
Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at Florida Atlantic University
Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine*
Florida State University College of Medicine*

Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine
University of Central Florida College of Medicine
University of Florida College of Medicine
University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
USF Health Morsani College of Medicine

Out-of-state school list:

University of Louisville School of Medicine - Louisville, KY

Albany Medical College - Albany, NY

Anne Burnett Marion School of Medicine at TCU - Fort Worth, TX

Tulane University School of Medicine - New Orleans, LA

East Tennessee State University James H. Quillen College of Medicine - Johnson City, TN

Howard University College of Medicine - Washington, DC

Loma Linda University School of Medicine - Loma Linda, CA

Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine - Roanoke, VA

Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center - Chicago, IL

University of South Carolina School of Medicine Columbia - Columbia, SC

Robert Larner, M.D., College of Medicine at the University of Vermont - Burlington, VT

Meharry Medical College - Nashville, TN

TMDAS:

University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine - Edinburg, TX

University of Texas Medical Branch John Sealy School of Medicine - Galveston, TX

My MCAT score according to MSAR is the exact median in overall score and section score for FSU and is within the range that FIU takes. All the out-of-state schools I am within range for my MCAT score and they are all out-of-state-friendly schools. Thank you to anyone who gives feedback I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My MCAT score according to MSAR is the exact median in overall score and section score for FSU and is within the range that FIU takes. All the out-of-state schools I am within range for my MCAT score and they are all out-of-state-friendly schools. Thank you to anyone who gives feedback I really appreciate it!
Not all of them. The TMDSAS schools would be donations as they are 90% IS and want high stat OOS students. You may have some luck at UTMB due to the NASA experience, but it is a lot of work doing 3 application systems. Meharry and Howard are HBCUs. If you do not fit that background, do not apply there. If you do, then you should add Morehouse to the list as well.

ETSU takes veterans and residents from bordering counties for their OOS. Louisville is very in-state heavy, the OOS students likely came from people who attended a Kentucky undergrad. Loma Linda is for 7-day Adventists and those with similar religious beliefs. Rush expects nearly 1000 hours or more of non-clinical volunteering. The South Carolina schools tend to go for people who attended undergrad in the state, have close relatives there or are from neighboring counties if they are OOS.

You could add these instead:
Belmont (when it opens)
Drexel
Temple
Albany
NYMC
Quinnipiac

For DO, I suggest:
LECOM (all campuses)
VCOM
ACOM
Campbell
Marian
PCOM (all campuses)
DMU
KCU

Not all of them. The TMDSAS schools would be donations as they are 90% IS and want high stat OOS students. You may have some luck at UTMB due to the NASA experience, but it is a lot of work doing 3 application systems. Meharry and Howard are HBCUs. If you do not fit that background, do not apply there. If you do, then you should add Morehouse to the list as well.
ETSU takes veterans and residents from bordering counties for their OOS. Louisville is very in-state heavy, the OOS students likely came from people who attended a Kentucky undergrad. Loma Linda is for 7-day Adventists and those with similar religious beliefs. Rush expects nearly 1000 hours or more of non-clinical volunteering. The South Carolina schools tend to go for people who attended undergrad in the state, have close relatives there or are from neighboring counties if they are OOS.

You could add these instead:
Belmont (when it opens)
Drexel
Temple
Albany
NYMC
Quinnipiac

For DO, I suggest:
LECOM (all campuses)
VCOM
ACOM
Campbell
Marian
PCOM (all campuses)
DMU
KCU
I didn’t know about a lot of those schools and will adjust my list now. Would New York Medical College be a realistic option as there accepted MCAT range for out of state is 510-520?

I also would wanted to know what your thoughts are on these schools as I had them as backups of the schools I picked out weren't going to be good opinions?
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine - Hershey, PA
West Virginia University School of Medicine - Morgantown, WV
Wake Forest University School of Medicine - Winston Salem, NC

Thank you for your advice 🙏

Last edited:
I didn’t know about a lot of those schools and will adjust my list now. Would New York Medical College be a realistic option as there accepted MCAT range for out of state is 510-520? Thank you for your advice 🙏
508 is close enough. You did well in your SMP and hopefully they see that.