3.2 GPA and 510 MCAT, can I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent5678

Reaction score
I have a 3.2 GPA and got a 510 on my MCAT. Any recommendations on what MD postbacc I can apply to that have good linkage? Or any MD schools I could try to apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 3.2 GPA and got a 510 on my MCAT. Any recommendations on what MD postbacc I can apply to that have good linkage? Or any MD schools I could try to apply to?
Unless you had a massive rising GPA trend, that GPA is letha for MD and some DO schools (including mine).

SMPs are a dime a dozen. Look for one given at amed school, with some form of linkage.

Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hate the terms lethal and deadly here. Granted a 510 will not completely wash away your GPA as a 520 would, and so you are a strong underdog at MD, yes. If you must, look for schools that are more fit based then numbers based. Tulane comes to mind. I was an unorganized student early in my career, but I turned my 3.2 into 3 MD acceptances based on ECs, EMT work, and my research experiences. One thing to note, make sure the rest of your resume is rock solid. Our 4-year class President was open that he didn't have the scores of most others, but had a great resume, got into the school he went to as an undergrad (where he was the school mascot!) and was a great person.

Just one thought among many, I suppose.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 9 users
I hate the terms lethal and deadly here. Granted a 510 will not completely wash away your GPA as a 520 would, and so you are a strong underdog at MD, yes. If you must, look for schools that are more fit based then numbers based. Tulane comes to mind. I was an unorganized student early in my career, but I turned my 3.2 into 3 MD acceptances based on ECs, EMT work, and my research experiences. One thing to note, make sure the rest of your resume is rock solid. Our 4-year class President was open that he didn't have the scores of most others, but had a great resume, got into the school he went to as an undergrad (where he was the school mascot!) and was a great person.

Just one thought among many, I suppose.

Med School Tutors
You're an outlier. SDNers come here realistic advice, not "rah rah you can do!" Pollyannaisms.

Reactions: 5 users
You're an outlier. SDNers come here realistic advice, not "rah rah you can do!" Pollyannaisms.
Actually not an outlier, according to AAMC people with 3.2-3.39 GPA and 510-513 MCAT have 40% acceptance rate. This doesn't tell the whole story (URMs, veterans, reinventors, etc) but still a large portion.

Reactions: 1 users
Actually not an outlier, according to AAMC people with 3.2-3.39 GPA and 510-513 MCAT have 40% acceptance rate. This doesn't tell the whole story (URMs, veterans, reinventors, etc) but still a large portion.
This demographic will URMs, residents if lucky states, veterans, people who have killer ECs, or have very compelling life stories. Not a large group here.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Not to belabor the point or cause a big hullabaloo (which turns out is a real word) but that's the point I was trying to make. There are a couple caveats of course, but the numbers are nothing to sneeze at. Strong underdog fits the reality better than more agressive language.

Perhaps I'm just being a language hair splitter, but I thought it a hair worth splitting.

Med School Tutors

Reactions: 2 users