3.2 GPA, Georgetown SMP a good possibility?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ja32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
So I am new on here and I am not sure if I am posting this in the correct section or if there is already somewhere where I can look this up, so I am sorry if there is repetition.

So I plan to have a 3.2 GPA by graduation and I am taking my MCAT this upcoming November. I have lots of ECs; having been working in a medical office for 3 years, have volunteered in the Oncology department of a hospital with child life for over 2 years, and am part of a church organization that performs medical mission trips to 3rd world countries.

However, I know that my GPA is not up to par to apply this year, and therefore I am taking GT SMP into consideration, as well as John Hopkins Health Science Intensive.

I do not plan on applying to an Ivy league school, as I will want to attend one of state home schools for med school.

Does anyone know if the GT SMP program is worth the time/money?

I appreciate all the advice you guys can give me. And would also love input from current SMP students as well as alumni.

-JA

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
On that note, I am a current SMP at GT and I think the program is definitely worth the time and money! It is very hard and you will be working a lot, but there are a lot of interaction with M1s and this program has a great reputation within other medical schools. I was between this program and a program from my home state, and I never regretted my decision to come here.

george w town's facility is stone age old and an education there is super expensive. plus students have a total cutthroat attitude. don't go there.

Last edited:
You definitely have a chance if you apply early. Just make sure you get 30+ on the MCAT. The program can stand to accept low GPA's, but not so much low MCATs. The program is difficult, but seems worth it if you know you'll do the work and get a decent GPA. Everyone I've talked to who had a high GPA from the program got in somewhere. I myself got into the SMP with a 3.1 GPA/34 MCAT, but I barely got off the waitlist since I literally applied 2 weeks before the deadline. I know people with low GPA's and lower MCATs (some sub-30) who got in without a problem because they applied much earlier. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed with ssj4vinh - though there are people in our program that have lower MCATs, but most have to retake by strong suggestion of the administrators, and they have other great EC's and qualities that help them as well.

Applicants here tend to do very well with their home schools. There's a good mix of students getting interviews now too! It's a hard, hard year, but I love the people and program and I think it's given many SMP's and M1's a new perspective on how much people's paths can vary. It also gives you great fodder for med school interviews since you're already experiencing med school classes and activities.