3.2 GPA, What are my chances? MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mafalda89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, like many here I'm freaking out about what to do after I graduate. I am working towards a BS in Biochemistry. I had a couple of horrible semester, with a strong upwards trend of 3.5-3.9 GPA. My GPA is 3.2 (and it will stay that way), and I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I have 5 semesters (3 credits each) of research in Inorganic Chemistry/Biochemistry (all semesters under the same professor), and I was awarded a Grant to do research. I also have 3 semester (3 credits each) of research in biology/cancer oriented. I don't have too much experience volunteering/shadowing, but it is something I plan to pursue after I graduate. Basically my question is, what is the best route for me to get into an MD program? I know about SMPs, but honestly I don't have the money for tuition, let alone living expenses since the university I am currently graduating from does not offer one and I would have to move. I have also read many negative comments here regarding the MS track. My school does offer a thesis or non-thesis MS in Biomedical Sciences, and it is something I am considering because I would also get a TA position which I would love to do!. Obviously, if this does not help me get into medical school then there is no point lol... What do you guys recommend?

Thank you so much for reading!!! =)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, like many here I'm freaking out about what to do after I graduate. I am working towards a BS in Biochemistry. I had a couple of horrible semester, with a strong upwards trend of 3.5-3.9 GPA. My GPA is 3.2 (and it will stay that way), and I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I have 5 semesters (3 credits each) of research in Inorganic Chemistry/Biochemistry (all semesters under the same professor), and I was awarded a Grant to do research. I also have 3 semester (3 credits each) of research in biology/cancer oriented. I don't have too much experience volunteering/shadowing, but it is something I plan to pursue after I graduate. Basically my question is, what is the best route for me to get into an MD program? I know about SMPs, but honestly I don't have the money for tuition, let alone living expenses since the university I am currently graduating from does not offer one and I would have to move. I have also read many negative comments here regarding the MS track. My school does offer a thesis or non-thesis MS in Biomedical Sciences, and it is something I am considering because I would also get a TA position which I would love to do!. Obviously, if this does not help me get into medical school then there is no point lol... What do you guys recommend?

Thank you so much for reading!!! =)

You can either waste money on a possibly unfruitful application cycle or do an SMP to solidify your chances. Either way you need an MCAT before your competitiveness can be more accurately judged.

If you don't have money to do an SMP how do you expect to pay for medical school, not to mention the application and travel fees?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Thanks for your answer, to pay for medical school I would obviously take out a loan. I just don't want to accumulate extra debt if I can help it. The masters program would be paid for (since I would be working as a TA), plus I would be able to continue with research which I love. I was just wondering which path (post-bac, SMP, MS) would be better for my situation, and make me a competitive candidate for medical school.