3.2 sGPA 3.5 cGPA 31M MCAT - Is my gpa going to hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mootacoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm bioengineering, so some often say that I may have a slight gpa "boost" in some cases, but I'm not sure it gives me an excuse for the science gpa.

3.2 sGPA
3.5 cGPA
31M MCAT

PA resident

~100 hours volunteering in hospital
~2 yrs undergrad research
Have shadowed 5 doctors for a day each
Undergrad TA for one year
Camp counselor

I also attended a governors school for health care at the end of high school but I'm not sure they would "count" that.

I'm hoping to get into Temple or Drexel, but honestly anywhere would be fine with me, including DO schools. Do you think I'd have a shot?

Members don't see this ad.

I got 4 DO interviews and 2 MD interviews with a 3.6ish cum gpa and a 3.2 sgpa (I think for the DO schools it was a 3.3 because of a retake but close enough) and a 26 MCAT, so I would say you probably have a shot. You MCAT is much better than mine, but I have some pretty good extracurriculars. I think if you can explain why your sgpa is low you have a shot because your good MCAT score may make up for it a little bit. Obviously you should apply early and very very broadly. It is great to want to get into certain schools, but you have to be ready to go anywhere. Apply to all schools you would be happy going to. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply :)

How broad would you recommend? I was thinking maybe 10 MD schools (lower end of the spectrum) and 10 DO schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm personally applying to around 30 MD schools and I have a GPA of 3.5c and a 3.37s with a 31 MCAT. Its always better to be safe than sorry. However, it depends on how much money you want to spend and how much of a risk you are willing to take. Also you are applying to DO schools whereas I am not. You do have a much better shot at DO though.

Would you say this is enough clinical exposure?

My advisor seemed to be slamming home on having enough so I've shadowed a few more doctors. (and I'm currently volunteering in the hospital) Anything else I could do to get more clinical exposure?

I'm bioengineering, so some often say that I may have a slight gpa "boost" in some cases, but I'm not sure it gives me an excuse for the science gpa.

3.2 sGPA
3.5 cGPA
31M MCAT

PA resident

~100 hours volunteering in hospital
~2 yrs undergrad research
Have shadowed 5 doctors for a day each
Undergrad TA for one year
Camp counselor

I also attended a governors school for health care at the end of high school but I'm not sure they would "count" that.

I'm hoping to get into Temple or Drexel, but honestly anywhere would be fine with me, including DO schools. Do you think I'd have a shot?

I think you do have a chance at both those schools. Also, you are a very good candidate for a structured/formal post-baccalaureate program/SMP, so I would recommend you apply to those as well in the event that you don't get any acceptances. That way in the subsequent application cycle you'll have some good course work under your belt and assuming you do well it will show adcom's that you are a capable applicant that is worth heavy consideration.

Good luck to you.

Would you say this is enough clinical exposure?

My advisor seemed to be slamming home on having enough so I've shadowed a few more doctors. (and I'm currently volunteering in the hospital) Anything else I could do to get more clinical exposure?
The average applicant has about 150 hours of clinical experience gained over 1.5 years. You should be able to get in more hours before you apply, but will the date spans show that you've had involvement over an extended period of time so as to demonstrate thoughtful consideration of medicine as a career?

About 50 hours of shadowing is average.

Your research is above the average of ~ a year. Teaching and camp counselor is good. Will you have some peer leadership, too?

I agree that you have a very good chance of a DO acceptance as you are. For a better shot at MD schools, another year of GPA repair, getting a lot of As in upper-level sciences would help a lot, considering your relatively weak BCPM. Your cGPA is good enough that I don't think an expensive SMP would be necessary, provided you can demonstrate consistent excellent performance in med school-like classwork, whether completed before or after graduation.

Your BCPM currently is below the bottom 10th percentile for Temple acceptees (3.3) but above that for Drexel (3.1). Jeff and Penn State are at 3.3 as well, BTW.