3.21BCMP, 3.52overall, 33MCAT chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xiaoyi666

The General
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a reapplicant and my stats are -

MCAT - 33Q
overall GPA - 3.52

BCMP - 3.21 (my biggest concern)
HS - 2.5(6 crdts never thought it'd count for anything C in differential eq)
FR - 2.52(9 crdts - C in orgo I and C+ in orgo I lab)
SO - 3.66 (19 crdts)
Jr - 3.22 (9 crdts)
Sr - 3.5 (6 crdts)

Majored in biology (3.56GPA), history (~3.8+ gpa), economics (~3.9+ gpa)
Dean's List
Provost's Honor Roll

Research -
Vascular biology
Geriatrics
Neurobiology 1 summer
Tissue Engineering - 9 months with accepted poster presentation
Health Economics research - 1 summer

Clinical -
80 hours volunteer at hospital
40 hours physician shadowing

Related non-research employment -
Middle school summer ecology camp facilitator - 1 summer
Student health center and pharmacy clerk - 1 summer + 1 semester
Academic Resource Center Tutor - 1 year

Clubs -
Tri-Beta biology honor society secretary and vice president
Badminton Club
Rugby club
other multi-cultural clubs

Rec letters - should be strong letters

My application is pretty much done, AMCAS waiting for June 4th to submit. Plan this time is to submit 2ndary WAY earlier than last cycle (before end of august). Last cycle, I submitted pretty late (AMCAS july, 2ndary ranged from late august to late november), got only 1 interview. For the off year I plan to pursue MS in Biomedical engineering or if that doesn't work then return to school to take post-bacc classes (no formal program). What do you think are my chances? and/or about my off year plans? Also, should I wait another year to re-apply or just apply this cycle? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a fair shot. GPA is a bit low but I think you'll get interviews as long as you apply to a broad range of schools. How many/where are you thinking of applying?

Reapplicants are supposed to have a substantial change in their application...I don't know if the MS counts as an SMP, and it will be in progress, not done, so I don't know if that counts as a substantial change...I think postbac classes to boost your undergrad BCMP would be a better use of your time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reapplicants are supposed to have a substantial change in their application...I don't know if the MS counts as an SMP, and it will be in progress, not done, so I don't know if that counts as a substantial change...I think postbac classes to boost your undergrad BCMP would be a better use of your time.

Thank you, I was actually considering between Masters, SMP, and post bacc. Most of the advice I've received from adcoms is to do a masters. SMP is to be a "last resort" and post-bacc isnt regarded as highly. But I'm aware of the perceived grade inflations in masters programs and its inability to erase undergrad gpa. I havent been accepted into a MS program yet and if im not, I will just have to do an informal post bacc.

I really don't know what qualifies as a "significant" or "substantial" change for the reapplicants in my situation. I was told everything else is fine just my science gpa is low, it takes much more time to bring gpa up compared to improving other things such as mcat.

Thank you, I was actually considering between Masters, SMP, and post bacc. Most of the advice I've received from adcoms is to do a masters. SMP is to be a "last resort" and post-bacc isnt regarded as highly. But I'm aware of the perceived grade inflations in masters programs and its inability to erase undergrad gpa. I havent been accepted into a MS program yet and if im not, I will just have to do an informal post bacc.

I really don't know what qualifies as a "significant" or "substantial" change for the reapplicants in my situation. I was told everything else is fine just my science gpa is low, it takes much more time to bring gpa up compared to improving other things such as mcat.

See, but that's exactly why it might be better to wait till next cycle. By the time you apply, your GPA will have changed by .05, and that's not reason enough to not reject you...applying earlier and not withdrawing presecondary might be enough, but who knows? And since you can only apply to a lot of schools twice, you don't want to mess up this time.

Keep writing letters of interest to U of Miami like crazy and maybe they'll let you in now.

any recommendations on how many schools I should apply to this time around?

Looks like you got your stuff in late last time. I think you have fair shot of getting into an allo school somewhere if you apply early and get those secondaries in ASAP.

Looks like you got your stuff in late last time. I think you have fair shot of getting into an allo school somewhere if you apply early and get those secondaries in ASAP.

Thanks. definitely cheers the mood up a bit =)

apply to schools where the average matriculant GPA is as close as possible to your GPA. No school will have an avg BCPM of 3.2, but there are some that are closer than 3.2 than others. Look for these schools, because your MCAT will probably be higher than a lot of applicants with a similar GPA. I don't know the situation of your state school/schools because some states are a lot harder than others, so most the schools you apply to will probably be OOS private.

I'm a reapplicant and my stats are -

MCAT - 33Q
overall GPA - 3.52

BCMP - 3.21 (my biggest concern)
HS - 2.5(6 crdts never thought it'd count for anything C in differential eq)
FR - 2.52(9 crdts - C in orgo I and C+ in orgo I lab)
SO - 3.66 (19 crdts)
Jr - 3.22 (9 crdts)
Sr - 3.5 (6 crdts)

Majored in biology (3.56GPA), history (~3.8+ gpa), economics (~3.9+ gpa)
Dean's List
Provost's Honor Roll

Research -
Vascular biology
Geriatrics
Neurobiology 1 summer
Tissue Engineering - 9 months with accepted poster presentation
Health Economics research - 1 summer

Clinical -
80 hours volunteer at hospital
40 hours physician shadowing

Related non-research employment -
Middle school summer ecology camp facilitator - 1 summer
Student health center and pharmacy clerk - 1 summer + 1 semester
Academic Resource Center Tutor - 1 year

Clubs -
Tri-Beta biology honor society secretary and vice president
Badminton Club
Rugby club
other multi-cultural clubs

Rec letters - should be strong letters

My application is pretty much done, AMCAS waiting for June 4th to submit. Plan this time is to submit 2ndary WAY earlier than last cycle (before end of august). Last cycle, I submitted pretty late (AMCAS july, 2ndary ranged from late august to late november), got only 1 interview. For the off year I plan to pursue MS in Biomedical engineering or if that doesn't work then return to school to take post-bacc classes (no formal program). What do you think are my chances? and/or about my off year plans? Also, should I wait another year to re-apply or just apply this cycle? Thanks.

Make sure you apply broadly. Applying to top ten schools will only give you rejections from top ten school- I think your stats are great, its only the science GPA that can mess you up a bit. But like I always say, the med school process is as random as it gets, so yo never know!

You're young, so I would recommend waiting. Previous posters are correct in that reapplicants will need substantial improvements in their apps to be accepted after having been denied. I'm not sure you have that.

My advice: take undergrad Science courses at any four year College (the easier the College, the better!), get As and boost your BCMP. Please do NOT got for a Master's in BME or Post-Bacc. If you can get mainly A's this year in Science courses, that will help a lot. Take some courses this Summer, in the Fall and in the Spring. They'll all be on your record by the time your app goes out in 2009.

A 3.21 BCMP is very low; I doubt there are any Alllopathic schools where this is the median BCMP. My advice is wait it out!