3.25 cGPA 3.23 sGPA, 30 MCAT, Any advice??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nottoolate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi thanks for all the information here on SDN. I'm still new and would like some advice.

I'm a 4th year in Cali and hope to bring my GPA to 3.30 cGPA and 3.30 sGPA, bringing it up from a 2.9 at the beginning of junior year. I know both are not that great but I still plan to apply this summer. What are some things I can do to increase my chances of getting in?

Or what are some programs I can apply to help my chances in the future.

Some EC's I have are:
- 2 years of research (no publication)
- 2 years of working in a clinic part time

Some things I know I need to get done:
- hospital volunteering
- DO shadowing
- non medical volunteering

Is it too late for me? Thanks for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Had you considered retakes of any particularly low grades (if applicable) to take advantage of the AACOMAS grade replacement policy? After submission, had you considered engaging in additional coursework in the summer and fall terms to further boost your science GPA (can be updated through AACOMAS, I understand)?

If you interacted with sick people in the clinic, perhaps you don't need to start hospital volunteering. This would give you more time for the nonmedical community service and shadowing, both of which you would ideally start as soon as possible so as to include on the application. Any leadership, teaching, hobbies, sports, or artistic pursuits to mention when you apply?

Hi thanks for all the information here on SDN. I'm still new and would like some advice.

I'm a 4th year in Cali and hope to bring my GPA to 3.30 cGPA and 3.30 sGPA, bringing it up from a 2.9 at the beginning of junior year. I know both are not that great but I still plan to apply this summer. What are some things I can do to increase my chances of getting in?

Or what are some programs I can apply to help my chances in the future.

Some EC's I have are:
- 2 years of research (no publication)
- 2 years of working in a clinic part time

Some things I know I need to get done:
- hospital volunteering
- DO shadowing
- non medical volunteering

Is it too late for me? Thanks for all your help.
Get these things done asap, and you will be a shoe in for DO if you apply early (Jun-August). Though your GPAs are below average for DO, your mcat is well above average for matriculated DO students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get these things done asap, and you will be a shoe in for DO if you apply early (Jun-August). Though your GPAs are below average for DO, your mcat is well above average for matriculated DO students.

Ditto. I was a low GPA, 30 MCAT DO applicant and it worked out well for me. I even applied way late in the process.

Get in some shadowing and additional volunteering and get your app in, you'll probably be just fine.

Unfortunately, my clinical work doesn't involve that much interaction with sick people. So I think I will benefit from hospital volunteering.
Any leadership, teaching, hobbies, sports, or artistic pursuits to mention when you apply?
I have tutored children in math and science for extra cash but I'm not sure if that's too outstanding.

Thank you very much for the encouragements and advice. I will be retaking some classes in addition to finding the EC mentioned in the thread.

Also, I was under the impression that I will be able to update my application throughout the process. What information will I be able to update (if any), is it just grades? Also when is the last time my changes will be considered for my application this cycle?

Thanks again!

Last edited: