3.25 sGPA, 3.5 cGPA, 31 MCAT... is MD still an option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiwi9195

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice would be great! Thoughts on applying to DO schools? Any other MD programs that may be with in reach? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Even with the MCAT and GPA? My advisors would agree with you but my parents think I'm crazy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the GPA is too low for MD, unless the MCAT was stellar (35+). If your heart is set on MD, I would do a post-bac, however if you are eager to apply this cycle then definitely add DO schools.

I think the GPA is too low for MD, unless the MCAT was stellar (35+). If your heart is set on MD, I would do a post-bac, however if you are eager to apply this cycle then definitely add DO schools.

Any suggestions for DO schools? I'm fairly set on MD but am not against applying to DO schools, though I would have to complete additional shadowing.

I'm an expert (and you're from ND!).

It's rumored that UND is not a fan of students who go out of state for undergrad :( not sure how that will turn out. I really appreciate your insight and if you have any other MD programs in mind, please let me know!

Any suggestions for DO schools? I'm fairly set on MD but am not against applying to DO schools, though I would have to complete additional shadowing.

I actually have to apologize for misreading. I thought 3.25 was your cGPA.

On that note, definitely keep some of the newer MD schools. I definitely do not have proper knowledge of DO Schools to offer sound advice.

alot of what people are saying is right, but don't count yourself out for some lower tier MD schools.

It's rumored that UND is not a fan of students who go out of state for undergrad :( not sure how that will turn out. I really appreciate your insight and if you have any other MD programs in mind, please let me know!
It's Wash U! Not some sunny party school.

Haha are we the same applicant? Hi from another former WashU RA :)
Med schools are fully aware of how difficult WashU premed is- I would send you to the old PIR GPA/MCAT comparison page if it were still up as proof! If I remember correctly, MedPrep I stats indicate that 76% of WashU applicants applying with a 3.0 sGPA and a 33 MCAT are accepted.

Best of luck!

Are you also applying this cycle?! Any advice from another former WashU RA would be fantastic. Thank you :)

As long as you lived in ND for at least 5 years and graduated from high school in ND you'll receive all 100 points for residency. If that's your case your pre-interview score would be 236 (out of 300), which is well above where the cutoff for automatic interviews generally falls. They'll definitely ask about your GPA in your interview (even though I've been told by faculty who used to be involved in admissions that if you're granted an interview GPA/MCAT aren't supposed to be a factor anymore :rolleyes: ...) so have a good (BS free) explanation.

Also, something else to keep in mind regarding UND is that generally only 10-20% of matriculants are first time applicants. I don't have hard data on this its just something I've gathered from talking with current students and graduates from numerous classes and it seems to be a pretty consistant trend.

You're fine for any DO program. My list of sugegsted MD schools:

Albany Medical College
Cooper Medical School - Rowan University
Creighton
Drexel
Florida International University
George Washington
Georgetown
Thomas Jefferson
Loyola
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College
Oakland University
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Rush Medical College
SLU
Temple
The Commonwealth Medical College
Tulane
University of North Dakota

As long as you lived in ND for at least 5 years and graduated from high school in ND you'll receive all 100 points for residency. If that's your case your pre-interview score would be 236 (out of 300), which is well above where the cutoff for automatic interviews generally falls. They'll definitely ask about your GPA in your interview (even though I've been told by faculty who used to be involved in admissions that if you're granted an interview GPA/MCAT aren't supposed to be a factor anymore :rolleyes: ...) so have a good (BS free) explanation.

Also, something else to keep in mind regarding UND is that generally only 10-20% of matriculants are first time applicants. I don't have hard data on this its just something I've gathered from talking with current students and graduates from numerous classes and it seems to be a pretty consistant trend.

Thanks for the info!

You're fine for any DO program. My list of sugegsted MD schools:

Albany Medical College
Cooper Medical School - Rowan University
Creighton
Drexel
Florida International University
George Washington
Georgetown
Thomas Jefferson
Loyola
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College
Oakland University
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Rush Medical College
SLU
Temple
The Commonwealth Medical College
Tulane
University of North Dakota

Thanks for the insight! Much appreciated!