3.29 cGPA|3.23 sGPA | 505 MCAT (125|125|126|129)|

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brain-Dude

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
2 degrees Neuroscience BS and Physical Anthropology BA
Research Experience (Published 3 times as a coauthor)
Tutor at college
Volunteer High School Tutor

What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Clinical exposure? Upward trend? URM? Non-trad? How many hours volunteering?

You're a little low gpa wise but definitely not too the point you are done for by any means. With some shadowing, get some volunteering, an extra EC or two to make you look more appealing and apply broadly, I really feel like you'll get some love.

They are pretty good. Cast a broad net. You might have a chance at the older schools but you should net a few of the newer school acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical exposure? Upward trend? URM? Non-trad? How many hours volunteering?

You're a little low gpa wise but definitely not too the point you are done for by any means. With some shadowing, get some volunteering, an extra EC or two to make you look more appealing and apply broadly, I really feel like you'll get some love.

Have about 60 hrs clinical exposure shadowing a neurosurgeon and as an ER volunteer
Have about 40 hrs of shadowing in the OR
Upward Trend in my GPA (2.4 to 3.6)
I'm pacific islander, started school when I was 21.
I have over 1200 hours of research and almost 100 hrs of volunteering.

Have about 60 hrs clinical exposure shadowing a neurosurgeon and as an ER volunteer
Better bump those volunteer hours. 100 is very meh

Reactions: 1 user
OK awesome good to know about the shadowing for sure, and that upward trend definitely helps a lot.
Better bump those volunteer hours. 100 is very meh
I 100% agree. More volunteering for sure, that with good letters, a good personal statement and broad application, obviously there are no sure applicants but I think you'll do just fine.

I agree with a few of the above: I think you have a very solid chance. Apply somewhat broadly, but I think you should have your pick at interviews memos to places this coming application cycle!

100 non-clinical volunteer hours is “okay”, but it won’t be doing you any favors. Bump it to the high 100s or 200s and I think you’ll be in much better shape.

shadowing doesn't count as clinical exposure. ER volunteer does.

and almost 100 hrs of volunteering.

You need to really bump this up. With the right ECs even the better DO schools will give you a look with your stats but your ECs right now are very very 'meh'. You will still probably get in somewhere but with the current climate around the merger I would avoid the new schools like the plague. Get more volunteering.

Reactions: 1 users
Take it from someone who went through three cycles- they are NOT “pretty good.” Almost no one cares about your research (I had almost 2,000 hours).
Not saying impossible but very very very unlikely.
A lot of people on SDN spread false hope, sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 degrees Neuroscience BS and Physical Anthropology BA
Research Experience (Published 3 times as a coauthor)
Tutor at college
Volunteer High School Tutor

What are my chances?

MCAT is solid. I recommend taking Biochem, Immunology, and Genetics and acing these classes w/ A’s. That should boost your GPAs over 3.3 for sure. Other than that, you just need to bump up the volunteer hrs and make sure to get LORs from DOs.

You should also try to shadow a few primary care physicians. The truth is, surgery is not really a good representation of what doctoring typically is like. And if you're applying to DO, they will definitely wonder why you only shadowed doctors from competitive specialties. Keep in mind that DO schools focus on primary and preventative care

Take it from someone who went through three cycles- they are NOT “pretty good.” Almost no one cares about your research (I had almost 2,000 hours).
Not saying impossible but very very very unlikely.
A lot of people on SDN spread false hope, sorry.

I had 1400 research coupled with 200 clinical and 150 nonclinical volunteering. No shadowing.

Received 4 interviews this cycle - 3 MD 1 DO - in Texas. Research definitely has its place. Just not at every school.

EDIT: I wanted to clarify that TMDSAS schools generally have high regard for research compared to most AMCAS schools, but that’s sort of my point - there’s a time and a place for a heavy hand in research; it’s not useless as some will lead you to believe.

I had 1400 research coupled with 200 clinical and 150 nonclinical volunteering. No shadowing.

Received 4 interviews this cycle - 3 MD 1 DO - in Texas. Research definitely has its place. Just not at every school.

EDIT: I wanted to clarify that TMDSAS schools generally have high regard for research compared to most AMCAS schools, but that’s sort of my point - there’s a time and a place for a heavy hand in research; it’s not useless as some will lead you to believe.

Your sample is
A) entirely in Texas
B) 75% MD
Not even remotely applicable to OP’s situation.

Your sample is
A) entirely in Texas
B) 75% MD
Not even remotely applicable to OP’s situation.

Still very much applicable, regardless of how anecdotal.

Research can be very important depending on the school. There are indeed several DO schools that also highly value research.

We have almost identical stats. It can be done but your ECs are weak. Get involved in more volunteer work especially for causes that you’re passionate about. Find opportunities where you can take a leadership role.

You should try and get some more clinical exposure/experience to show that you are truly serious about medicine. Other than that, your app looks pretty decent for DO and your MCAT is carrying you heavily rn. You should net several interviews if you apply broadly, up the clinical exposure, and apply to newer schools. I would be pretty surprised if you didn't get an acceptance to at least 1 DO school IMO if you make those tiny improvements. Even as is you may get an acceptance but it would be more risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.