3.29 w/ 33Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnmc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a tricky spot with a large disparity between my gpa and MCAT. I was a Bio major with a chem minor.

Science gpa is something like a 3.3 and Bio gpa is a 3.5. All over the place, I know. I had a slow start to undergrad and got my act together towards the end. I volunteered a little bit at a hospital during undergrad and I did some shadowing. I now work at a hospital as a clinical research assistant and might have some opportunities to get included as a coauthor on some papers. Do I have a shot? If so where should I apply and what should I do to improve my chances?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

In a tricky spot with a large disparity between my gpa and MCAT. I was a Bio major with a chem minor.

Science gpa is something like a 3.3 and Bio gpa is a 3.5. All over the place, I know. I had a slow start to undergrad and got my act together towards the end. I volunteered a little bit at a hospital during undergrad and I did some shadowing. I now work at a hospital as a clinical research assistant and might have some opportunities to get included as a coauthor on some papers. Do I have a shot? If so where should I apply and what should I do to improve my chances?

Thanks in advance.

Your stats are almost identical to mine. However, I was a bit more nontrad and had more EC's and a story for my application. I think you'll have a shot as long as you apply early and broadly. Doesn't hurt if you take some time off to strengthen your GPA (assuming you're still in school or doing a masters) and working on your EC's.

I'm just out of school working full time at a hospital. I'm really considering going back and doing a SMP or something like that. Hard to tell if those really help though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply btw. Any ideas on what schools to consider?

Thanks for your reply btw. Any ideas on what schools to consider?

What's your state of residence? I'd get a copy of the 2013 edition of MSAR (its $15 or something) and go through the list of schools and pick out the schools that are within your range for GPA/MCAT and OOS interview rate (if that school is an OOS school for you).

To be safe, 20-30 schools (not including reaches) would put you in the most optimal situation.

An SMP or masters would definitely be beneficial for you if you do well (i.e. 3.8+) b/c it's really your GPA that's bringing you down the most, but I can see a lot of room for improvement in terms of your EC's as well.

OP if you want to be a DO you will be.
Probably have a shot at low-tier MD if you apply smartly and broadly.
SMP would make you even more competitive for MD but idk if it's worth it.. tough one.

Look at DO. GPA is too low for MD if you aren't a urm.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Thanks for the replies guys. I am starting to look into DO schools a lot. I am an ORM, but are there any MD schools that would take a lower GPA? Especially considering I have and upward trend. I only ask to increase the pool of schools I would likely apply to.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am starting to look into DO schools a lot. I am an ORM, but are there any MD schools that would take a lower GPA? Especially considering I have and upward trend. I only ask to increase the pool of schools I would likely apply to.

For that, we need to know your state of residence. If you do choose to do an SMP and you do well, it will open a lot of doors for you, but you gotta weigh the price and the effort required.

I'm from Connecticut, but I live in Rhode Island and only recently moved here. I did my undergrad at UMiami if that's relevant.

I would apply to the obvious schools like UConn, Brown (although it's a reach, they love RI residents), UMiami (not sure how much being an alum helps), as well as other OOS friendly FL schools (not an expert so you'd have to check MSAR). As for other schools along the east coast, I can think of PSU, EVMS, VCU, Wayne, GWU, GTown, Drexel, Jefferson, Temple, Boston, Tufts, UVM, Hofstra, maybe some SUNY's... Anyways, there's a lot to pick from and although your GPA isn't "competitive" for these schools, applying to a crap ton of them adds on more chances, which is basically the strategy you're going for. I don't know anything about DO schools.

It probably doesn't need to be stated again, but doing well on a SMP or bio-heavy masters would bring about some forgiveness on your low UG GPA and open a lot more interviews.

If I started a SMP in the fall would that have any effect on this cycle?

If I started a SMP in the fall would that have any effect on this cycle?

Much more effect if you apply after your SMP is over. It would benefit you a little if you applied this cycle as well but not as much. You'd probably have to send schools updates with grades consistently for it to really matter much.

I recommend against the MPH or SMP route for the additional time and expense of it unless an adcom can make a very solid promise to you that doing well there will absolutely insure that you matriculate into their program if you do well in it (not likely as ironclad as many make it out to be.) You're OK for DO, I would retake some C's at your current college, if you have any, and send grade updates for those instead. List the research, your role in it, the proposed title of the work to be submitted and a strong LOR from the PI and that experience will count.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement guys. It seems like DO is the route I should be pursuing most actively. Is shadowing a DO highly necessary? Does anyone have any opinions about the best DO schools to apply to or ones I should read up on?

Your grades are in range of DO schools and lower tier MD schools. I believe it is required to shadow a DO physician so I recommend you start with that. As for schools it really depends on where you want to go regionally. If you took some time to raise your GPA I'm sure you could apply to a good mix of both MD and DO schools. Best of luck!

Low tiers schools like Rosy Franklin and NYMC. Definitely try your state MD school, unless you're in CA or NY.

Contact some Admissions Deans to find out if you're competitive. Some schools do showsome love for great upward trends.

You're fine for any DO program too.

Thanks in advance.