WAMC 3.29 gpa, 509 MCAT, strong clinical background

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eib275

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. AACOMAS: overall non science 3.6, overall science 3.14, cumulative 3.29
  2. 509 (127/128/125/129)
  3. Virginia
  4. Hispanic/white
  5. Undergraduate Bachelors in science of Nursing
  6. 6000 hours as a critical care nurse. ~ 3 years full time (including while studding) (1500 high acuity ICU, currently full time employed)
  7. Research mentorship, assistance writing and researching for unpublished papers (wrote letter of rec)
  8. Cardiology shadowing (30 hours), hospitalist DO (50 hours shadowing)
  9. Hospice caregiver for grandfather sick with covid (>100 hours). Habitat for humanity (10 hours, limited)
  10. Extra curriculars: musician, dance, performance experience. Played piano ~16 years
  11. Daisy award nominee (3 times) for excellence in nursing
  12. Diagnosed (but fully recovered) from illness early in college. Low SES from rural medically underserved area.
TOP SCHOOLS:: EVMS, VCU (secondary received), UVA (secondary received), HawaiI burns (secondary received)

Tulane (secondary received)

Tennessee health science center (secondary received)

Colorado university

Georgetown (secondary received)

Howard (secondary received)

South Carolina (secondary received)

University of Kentucky (secondary received)

Derexel (secondary received)

George Washington (secondary received)

Liberty DO (interviewing)

VCOM DO

Campbell DO

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You have several state public schools on your list that admit very few non residents with your GPA and no connection to the state.
I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
EVMS
Virginia Commonwealth
West Virginia
George Washington
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
You are competitive for many DO schools but CUSOM and VCOM may screen out your application with your GPAs.
I suggest these DO schools:
LUCOM
WVSOM
PCOM (all schools)
ACOM
WCU-COM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
LECOM (all schools)
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
MU-COM
TUNCOM
DMU-COM

Reactions: 1 users
Your nursing experience may serve you well on the service orientation expectations. I would reach out to schools on your wishlist. Note any students from med schools who rotated through your hospital or clinics where you work. They will be most familiar with your working environment when reviewing your application.

You already have at least one II, so hood luck!

Your nursing experience may serve you well on the service orientation expectations. I would reach out to schools on your wishlist. Note any students from med schools who rotated through your hospital or clinics where you work. They will be most familiar with your working environment when reviewing your application.

You already have at least one II, so hood luck!
Thank you! Would you suggest sending a “letter of intent” I’ve heard of others doing so.

Thank you! Would you suggest sending a “letter of intent” I’ve heard of others doing so.
It's really early to do that, and I also consider receiving an LOI as just as worthy as a "pickup line" at a bar. I'd see what recruitment events are coming up and reach out to AMSA or SNMA chapters. But as a licensed practitioner, you should be able to find a lot of insight from the physicians you work with already.

Reactions: 1 user