3.3 gpa, 26 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicaldreams13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to a large state school, and my cgpa is 3.3. According to AACOMAS my sgpa is 3.14. For AMCAS it should be like 3.08.

I took the mcat in june and received a 26N (8V, 9P, 9B). I'm retaking it on september 2nd and aiming for a 31+.

I have average EC's, but no research experience.
-Volunteering at hospital setting for about 150+hours
-shadowing MD and DO Orthopedic Surgeon for 30 hrs
-minimal hospice experience
-community service with tutoring/teaching students(in local community and in my hometown in India)
-participated in alternative spring break 2 times
-eboard member for cultural group/student assembly 1 year
-fraternity member for over 2 years

I've already submitted my primaries for AMCAS and AACOMAS and they are being processed.

For MD I applied to:
Drexel
Howard
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Toledo
Meharry

In-State:
Michigan State
Wayne State
OUWB

For DO:
MSUCOM
DMU
LECOM-Erie
KCOM
NSU-COM

If anyone could possibly let me know of my chances at any of these schools, I'd appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you will have any luck at any of the MD schools. Possibly at some of the DO's.

If your MCAT goes up by 4 or more points you may get in an MD somewhere in state but I wouldn't count on any out of state. September is pretty late and some schools cut off tests

Your GPA is pretty low for MD and even for DO so I think MD school may be out. You can always go get your masters and get a better GPA

I don't think you will have any luck at any of the MD schools. Possibly at some of the DO's.
It's actually pretty low for D.O. too. Wouldn't say no chance, but it's not looking pretty at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty much a "NO" for MD. For DO, you might get lucky, but you're not looking great; however it might be possible with an amazing PS, LORs, and ECs. (Unfortunately, your ECs as listed look average to mediocre, IMHO, although I may be missing something unique there.) I'd really suggest waiting a year and applying DO. Otherwise, Carib or Podiatry looks likely with a possibility of low to mid-tier DO this year with some luck.

You may want to ask yourself if you have the ability to make it through medical school.

You have a much lower cGPA, sGPA, and MCAT score than most American medical students.

State schools are seen as easy A's relative to private colleges, so the low GPA looks pretty bad especially combined with the poor MCAT.

Did you have a horrible freshman year and then ace the rest of college?

I definitely had a slow start in college, with my freshman first semester gpa being 2.8. I also had very bad second semester sophomore year gpa with it being like 2.5. I took two upper level science classes that semester and barely passed them; I know that's a bad sign considering med school is mainly advanced science courses, but I believe my study habits have improved to where I can manage a heavier and challenging courseload.
My GPA trend has been upward besides the second semester soph year.

When taking the AAMC practice tests, I was averaging in the low 30s, so my actual score of 26 was surprising to me. Especially because I was fairly confident after taking the test.
Right now, my goal is to do as well as I can on my retake MCAT so I can improve whatever chances I have at my state MD schools and the osteopathic schools I chose to apply to.