MD & DO 3.31 cGPA, 3.13 sGPA, 512 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

statlin98

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

I know I will have a better odds applying DO (though still would like feedback on my DO chances), but do I have any chance with lower tier MD? I waited to get my MCAT score to apply, but could submit primaries within the next week.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What state
What's your recent grade trend the past 3-4 semesters or so

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your gpa decreased a lot that last semester, which is not a good sign. It is also very low..even for DO. The problem with this is that most schools will automatically filter out your app because it doesn't meet their minimum GPA requirements. I think you definitely have a better shot with DO than MD though, especially since you haven't even turned in your primaries yet. The MD app cycle is earlier and closes sooner than the DO one. If you apply next week, the app won't be processed until beginning of september-mid sept. Then the schools have to go through your primary and then send you a secondary. By the time you send in your secondary, it'll be the end of Sept already. Since most schools have rolling admissions, you really don't have a good shot, especially since your stats are not competitive.

Apply broadly to at least 12 DO schools and you should receive several interviews. Some schools require a DO LOR.

Thanks for the response.

State of Residence: Maryland
Trend: I had a moderate upward trend going that was really hurt by my last semester. My last 4 semesters broken down:

Fall 2013- cGPA: 3.585, sGPA: 3.5
Spring 2014- cGPA: 3.35, sGPA for MD: 3.35, sGPA for DO: 3.45
Fall 2014- cGPA: 3.55, sGPA: 3.33
Spring 2015- cGPA: 3.06, sGPA: 2.92

Any thought to considering waiting a year and giving a chance for good senior grades before applying?
People with 3.9+'s with your MCAT are routinely shut out from MD admission who are Maryland residents. It's just very very competitive for people from MD.
U of Maryland's rejection pile consists of a number of 3.8+/35+ IS apps every single year.
Whatever you can do to boost your application, you should definitely consider(and fortunately for you there is a clear option to do so by improving your GPA).
You should get DO interest. If you apply this cycle GW Georgetown Marshall and WVU should be at the top of your OOS list.

Any thought to considering waiting a year and giving a chance for good senior grades before applying?
People with 3.9+'s with your MCAT are routinely shut out from MD admission who are Maryland residents. It's just very very competitive for people from MD.
U of Maryland's rejection pile consists of a number of 3.8+/35+ IS apps every single year.
Whatever you can do to boost your application, you should definitely consider(and fortunately for you there is a clear option to do so by improving your GPA).
You should get DO interest. If you apply this cycle GW Georgetown Marshall and WVU should be at the top of your OOS list.

Forgot to mention that I graduated spring 2015 and have been doing a gap year since. I was originally planning on retaking C's for DO grade replacement/improved coursework, but now with my MCAT (for financial reasons) I am waffling on whether to retake any classes, as I feel I have a chance to get in without retakes.

And yeah I know I have essentially no chance for in state. I'm sure there's a million places I could find this, but where's the best place for GPA/MCAT breakdowns for DO/MD schools? Is MSAR the best resource? If you don't mind, besides the ones you mentioned what are some of the "low tier" MD schools that I should potentially look at?

Forgot to mention that I graduated spring 2015 and have been doing a gap year since. I was originally planning on retaking C's for DO grade replacement/improved coursework, but now with my MCAT (for financial reasons) I am waffling on whether to retake any classes, as I feel I have a chance to get in without retakes.

And yeah I know I have essentially no chance for in state. I'm sure there's a million places I could find this, but where's the best place for GPA/MCAT breakdowns for DO/MD schools? Is MSAR the best resource? If you don't mind, besides the ones you mentioned what are some of the "low tier" MD schools that I should potentially look at?
The MSAR is the only reliable source for MD info.
DO's have a resource. I believe it's called a College Information Book...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that your stats and performance history will be lethal for any MD school. The sGPA will autoreject you at my school, CCOM, the coastal Touros, BCOM, CUSOM and KCU. Apply broadly to Do schools, especially the newest ones. I can't recommend LUCOM.

128 (CP), 127 (VR), 129 (Bio), 129 (Psych)

EC/other:
  • 2.5+ years scribing in ER (3000+ hours). Leadership position as a trainer.
  • Volunteer in ortho rehab center (patient transport, 50+ hours)
  • 30+ hours English tutoring to 2nd graders in underserved community
  • 2.5 years as a research assistant in molecular genetics lab with good LOR (not published)
  • Hopefully 2 DO LOR's and 1 MD LOR

I know I will have a better odds applying DO (though still would like feedback on my DO chances), but do I have any chance with lower tier MD? I waited to get my MCAT score to apply, but could submit primaries within the next week.

Delete MSUCOM, Rowan, UNECOM and CCOM; Add CUSOM and all three VCOMs.
@Goro and others,

My app was just verified with sGPA of 3.23 and cGPA of 3.30, I suppose because a couple of my borderline science classes were determined admissible as sciences. Obviously that helps me some. I've submitted apps to:

ATSU - Arizona
ACOM
AZCOM
CCOM
EVCOM - both campuses
LECOM - Erie and Bradenton
LMUCOM
Marian
MSUCOM
NYIT
NOVA
PCOM - both
Rowan
Touro - Cali
UNECOM
WVSOM

Any suggestions to add or remove schools?

128 (CP), 127 (VR), 129 (Bio), 129 (Psych)

EC/other:
  • 2.5+ years scribing in ER (3000+ hours). Leadership position as a trainer.
  • Volunteer in ortho rehab center (patient transport, 50+ hours)
  • 30+ hours English tutoring to 2nd graders in underserved community
  • 2.5 years as a research assistant in molecular genetics lab with good LOR (not published)
  • Hopefully 2 DO LOR's and 1 MD LOR

You would be rejected from all schools for not knowing that 128 + 127 + 129 + 129 adds up to 513 and not 512