3.35 cGPA, 3.41 sGPA, 24 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LehighValleyMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to SDN so I apologize if I'm not doing this correct. I would just like to hear some input from some other minds.

Recently graduated from a small liberal arts college in PA with a 3.35 cGPA, 3.41 sGPA, 24 MCAT.

Obviously I wish I could have done better in all aspects as I hope to pursue a career in medicine at an allopathic medical school. However, after my MCAT score came back I really did not know what to do. However, my good friend from school informed me about Postbaccalaureate and SMP programs and I think they are a good option now. What are are my chances of getting in?
I am currently applying/finishing applications to Temple ACMS, Drexel IHS, USF MBS, TCMC MBS, and Tufts MBS programs to name a few. I just would like to get some input before I send my money off.

What do you guys think? Are these programs a good idea? Will they help my candidacy for medical school (MD)? Or should I take a year-off and apply DO and retake the MCAT?

*Note - My low GPA does have an explanation/story- I had cancer my freshman year of college that ultimately metastasized to my brain. Thankfully, I am all better now! However, it was quite difficult to study for my Bio 101 and other exam days after getting a craniotomy and chemotherapy which hurt my GPA early on (first two semesters). My grades definitely have an upward trend - had over 3.6 the last 3 semesters (including a 3.94 my last semester). Unfortunately, there is no "excuse" for my poor MCAT. I didn't take MCAT prep course for my first exam, rather I studied by myself. Highly considering taking a Kaplan or TPR class and retake the exam this spring.

Sorry if this is long-winded I am just uncertain of what the future holds

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, I want to say I'm sorry for the difficulties you faced your freshman year. I really can't imagine, but I am glad that you're all better now.

Your upward trend in GPA is definitely a good thing, so congrats on your resilience and determination in class. The overall GPAs are, as we know, still quite low unfortunately. I don't know much about actually getting into a post bacc or SMP, but I think doing well in one and improving your GPA would be very beneficial. Keep in mind that the GPA for accepted MD is about 3.65. Also keep in mind that if you do DO, they will do grade replacement for classes you retake (MD will not do this) and use these classes in the GPA calculation.

You will definitely need to retake the MCAT if aiming for MD, especially since you have a lower GPA. Take a professional prep course or self study and use the Sn2ed plan (search for it here on SDN). Just study hard and do well, definitely aim for 30+. Don't take the test until you're fully prepared because you really don't want to take it a third time. I know it's much easier said than done.

Besides GPA and MCAT, how are your extracurriculars? I know you probably couldn't do much your freshman year, but what about afterwards? Clinical experience and volunteering? Shadowing? Research? Hobbies? These will be an important part of your application, so if these are weak, then you will need to take the time to build them up. Also, do you have letter of recs?

For now, I think you should definitely look into a post bacc/ SMP and into retaking your MCAT. I also encourage you to consider DO schools, especially if your MCAT ends up being under 30. You could always apply to a mix of MD and DO schools. Feel free to ask more questions. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Recently graduated from a small liberal arts college in PA with a 3.35 cGPA, 3.41 sGPA, 24 MCAT.

Obviously I wish I could have done better in all aspects as I hope to pursue a career in medicine at an allopathic medical school. However, after my MCAT score came back I really did not know what to do. However, my good friend from school informed me about Postbaccalaureate and SMP programs and I think they are a good option now. What are are my chances of getting in?
I am currently applying/finishing applications to Temple ACMS, Drexel IHS, USF MBS, TCMC MBS, and Tufts MBS programs to name a few. I just would like to get some input before I send my money off.

What do you guys think? Are these programs a good idea? Will they help my candidacy for medical school (MD)? Or should I take a year-off and apply DO and retake the MCAT?

*Note - My low GPA does have an explanation/story- I had cancer my freshman year of college that ultimately metastasized to my brain. Thankfully, I am all better now! However, it was quite difficult to study for my Bio 101 and other exam days after getting a craniotomy and chemotherapy which hurt my GPA early on (first two semesters). My grades definitely have an upward trend - had over 3.6 the last 3 semesters (including a 3.94 my last semester). Unfortunately, there is no "excuse" for my poor MCAT. I didn't take MCAT prep course for my first exam, rather I studied by myself. Highly considering taking a Kaplan or TPR class and retake the exam this spring.
For MD schools, with your excellent steep upward grade trend of long duration, you might have been fine with a particularly strong MCAT score (say, 34+) if you have good ECs and LORs. Even if your MCAT performance rises into the average range for matriculants (31ish), you will still need something more to make adcomms sit up and take notice, and an SMP with excellent performance would be a good trigger.

If money and time are not something you want to invest, then you could probably get an acceptance as you are into one of the new, less-selective DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, I want to say I'm sorry for the difficulties you faced your freshman year. I really can't imagine, but I am glad that you're all better now.

Your upward trend in GPA is definitely a good thing, so congrats on your resilience and determination in class. The overall GPAs are, as we know, still quite low unfortunately. I don't know much about actually getting into a post bacc or SMP, but I think doing well in one and improving your GPA would be very beneficial. Keep in mind that the GPA for accepted MD is about 3.65. Also keep in mind that if you do DO, they will do grade replacement for classes you retake (MD will not do this) and use these classes in the GPA calculation.

You will definitely need to retake the MCAT if aiming for MD, especially since you have a lower GPA. Take a professional prep course or self study and use the Sn2ed plan (search for it here on SDN). Just study hard and do well, definitely aim for 30+. Don't take the test until you're fully prepared because you really don't want to take it a third time. I know it's much easier said than done.

Besides GPA and MCAT, how are your extracurriculars? I know you probably couldn't do much your freshman year, but what about afterwards? Clinical experience and volunteering? Shadowing? Research? Hobbies? These will be an important part of your application, so if these are weak, then you will need to take the time to build them up. Also, do you have letter of recs?

For now, I think you should definitely look into a post bacc/ SMP and into retaking your MCAT. I also encourage you to consider DO schools, especially if your MCAT ends up being under 30. You could always apply to a mix of MD and DO schools. Feel free to ask more questions. Good luck.

Thank you for replying! My extracurriculars are somewhat strong - lots of volunteer experiences (Relay for Life committee, Camp for pediatric tumor research, youth empowerment days, volunteer at the inner-city hospital ect...), lots of shadowing experience (every school break I have had since being sick with cancer had at least one shadowing experience if not more), also I was a member of the varsity football team (Division-I) which was no easy task to handle. But I was unable to get any valuable research opportunities as it was extremely competitive (as is everywhere :/). I was hoping on-top of strengthening my GPA, I could possibly also be involved in some type of research experience while doing a Post-bac or SMP. I feel this can only strengthen my candidacy to a school. Also considering working at a nursing home now as I am part-time in school. Do you think this would be a good idea?

*Note - I took the majority of the AAMC practice tests and scored fairly well (29-32) on all but one of them (I think #7 - 26). Should I continue to use these?

For MD schools, with your excellent steep upward grade trend of long duration, you might have been fine with a particularly strong MCAT score (say, 34+) if you have good ECs and LORs. Even if your MCAT performance rises into the average range for matriculants (31ish), you will still need something more to make adcomms sit up and take notice, and an SMP with excellent performance would be a good trigger.

If money and time are not something you want to invest, then you could probably get an acceptance as you are into one of the new, less-selective DO schools.

Thanks for replying! Studying for the MCAT is obviously brutal mental force. However, do you have any tips or suggestions for getting a higher score?

Also, I am definitely looking into DO schools as an option - spoke with an admissions officer from PCOM who came to our school and he told me that there were several students with similar GPA, MCAT, and EC's as myself - this gave me some hope.

Thank you for replying! My extracurriculars are somewhat strong - lots of volunteer experiences (Relay for Life committee, Camp for pediatric tumor research, youth empowerment days, volunteer at the inner-city hospital ect...), lots of shadowing experience (every school break I have had since being sick with cancer had at least one shadowing experience if not more), also I was a member of the varsity football team (Division-I) which was no easy task to handle. But I was unable to get any valuable research opportunities as it was extremely competitive (as is everywhere :/). I was hoping on-top of strengthening my GPA, I could possibly also be involved in some type of research experience while doing a Post-bac or SMP. I feel this can only strengthen my candidacy to a school. Also considering working at a nursing home now as I am part-time in school. Do you think this would be a good idea?

*Note - I took the majority of the AAMC practice tests and scored fairly well (29-32) on all but one of them (I think #7 - 26). Should I continue to use these?

I think @Catalystik has given you some encouraging links. Definitely spend some time in the MCAT forums, you'll find many different strategies/study plans/ study material recommendations there. You'll probably see me answering questions there as well (strategy and content).

Your EC's look pretty good! Keep up the volunteering if you can. In terms of research, yes one year of research would be better than none, but your main priority should be MCAT and GPA. So if you have time to do research, then go for it, but don't sacrifice the academic areas that need improvement for it. Working at the nursing home seems good, but depending on how many hours of volunteering at the hospital you have, it may be more strategic to try to fill that time with research. Again, main focus = MCAT and GPA.

So thanks for posting, work hard and try to stay motivated, and apply broadly to both MD and DO. Good luck!

Fastest path is to retake MCAT and apply DO. If you're boing for the mD degree, then yes, retake MCAT (and do really well) + doing well in a SMP will net you MD because there are schools that favor reinvention (NYMC, Tulane, Drexel, BU, Albany, to name a few.) Plus everyone loves an underdog. With the schools you've applied to, you've got the back door in, if you do well. Good luck!

Sorry if this is long-winded I am just uncertain of what the future holds[/quote]

you are fine to get into DO as is. But for MD, MCAT retake + possible SMP is essential.