WAMC: 3.93 cGPA, 3.90 sGPA, 519 MCAT, ORM (24'-25' applicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalpursuit99

Reaction score
  • cGPA: 3.93, sGPA: 3.90
  • 519 MCAT (131 C/P, 127 CARS, 131 B/BC, 130 P/S)
  • Colorado resident with strong ties to New York and California.
  • T50 undergrad
  • ORM male
  • Clinical Experience 260 hours (200 hours Hospice volunteer + 60 scribing in the DR for an orthopedic surgeon) (both volunteer).
  • Research 700 hours. Minimal wet lab, primarily social science research. 2 poster presentations + two 2nd author publications, one of which is in a high-impact journal (World Psychiatry). The research focused on social isolation/connection and non-pharmaceutical therapeutic techniques.
  • Shadowing 60 hours (ortho, OB, urogyne, plastic, and family).
  • Non-clinical volunteering: 1,000+ hours. Led multiple youth groups (15-18 y/o) through different African countries to build schools and public restrooms for a total of 2 months ~ 700 hours. Chem, physics, and bio tutoring ~ 120 hours. Lived in Canada for a year serving immigrants that came from China/Taiwan ~ 700 hours.
  • Other: President of a premed program at my university. Founded a fundraiser for mental health awareness and raised over $15,000 (participants in the fundraiser would run for donations).
  • Awards: Presidential Service Award from my state (which honors citizens who have had an impact on their community through volunteer work), 2 semesters on the dean’s list.
  • Hobbies: I ran an IRONMAN triathlon in 2022 (running and swimming are a big part of my life and I spend a lot of time doing races).
My application has a strong emphasis on mental health and social connection. I’m interested in psychiatry.

Do I stand a shot at T20 or is that a donation to the school? My current school list is below, please comment critiques. Open to all advice and thoughts.

Current school list:
Target&Safety Combined: Colorado, Utah, Tufts, Georgetown, Penn State, SUNY, Tulane, Minnesota, Drexel, Hackensack, Florida
Reach: Mount Sinai, Baylor, Boston, UCSD, Brown, Southwestern, UCI, UCF
Huge Reach: Stanford, UCSF, Duke, Michigan, Cornell

Members don't see this ad.

Are you currently applying? From what you disclose, it seems like a solid profile. I would presume the home team (Colorado) will go for you, and it's probably realistic to go for some of the other schools like Michigan, Stanford, or Duke. Your mission to do mental health/psych doesn't help me see what schools fit you best, but that's your homework.

Where I'm not so sure is the consistency of community service. You describe activities that are unique but involve living outside the US for a significant period of time. I don't see specific non-clinical community service related to mental health (though it's not absolutely necessary until later in your training/career). Would what you do be enough for service-oriented schools like Drexel, Georgetown, or Tufts? I guess we'll see. I'd certainly say based on what you describe, your application looks good. I hope the rest of your application (Casper/PREview, LORs) are also solid.

• Research 700 hours. Minimal wet lab, primarily social science research. 2 poster presentations + two 2nd author publications, one of which is in a high-impact journal (World Psychiatry). The research focused on social isolation/connection and non-pharmaceutical therapeutic techniques.
Significant research ☑️ Great if you can connect it back to the 'real world'
  • Non-clinical volunteering: 1,000+ hours. Led multiple youth groups (15-18 y/o) through different African countries to build schools and public restrooms for a total of 2 months ~ 700 hours
  • Lived in Canada for a year serving immigrants that came from China/Taiwan ~ 700 hours.
Any interest in global health? Definitely see if you can connect it issues back here at home.
  • Other: President of a premed program at my university. Founded a fundraiser for mental health awareness and raised over $15,000 (participants in the fundraiser would run for donations)
  • Hobbies: I ran an IRONMAN triathlon in 2022 (running and swimming are a big part of my life and I spend a lot of time doing races).
Definitely mention the Ironman and there could be space to connect your interest with the fundraiser and creating impact through your passions.
My application has a strong emphasis on mental health and social connection. I’m interested in psychiatry.

Do I stand a shot at T20 or is that a donation to the school? My current school list is below, please comment critiques. Open to all advice and thoughts.
Absolutely apply to T20s. I think you have an incredibly strong narrative and unique experiences. What I have learned this interview cycle so far is that everyone wants to talk about the interesting unique aspects of my experience and my niche hobbies and less so about my standard premed activities. You have a plethora of things that could pique interest.

Reactions: 1 user
You definitely stand a shot at top-20 schools and they should be half your list! 700 hours' worth of service isn't voluntourism, it's solid, and you've got great ECs and a compelling narrative. You're towards the stronger end of pack fodder at top 20 schools; good luck. Apply smartly, don't blow the interview, and you should have an acceptance.

No top-20 school in the country is a donation for you.

Reactions: 1 user