3.35 UGrad GPA, 3.9 Grad GPA, 30 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatsu801

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So, my undergrad GPA is about 3.35 cumulative and 3.4 science. My Master's grad GPA is 3.9, but I actually only took two classes and the rest were credits from research work that gets letter grades. I went to UC San Diego for undergrad and grad. There's a chance I'll be published as 2nd author by the time secondaries would roll around. I have over 400 hrs of clinical volunteering experience, and got a couple awards for my service. My MCAT was a 30O (I only had 7 weeks to prepare and studied on my own, so I could possibly take it again and apply later. I think I can get up to a 34 with more preparation - on the one practice I took I got a 33 =/ ). I'm a California resident, which apparently is worthless lol. I'm planning on submitting my primary by July 3rd. The schools I'm thinking of applying to are:

Albany
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Florida State Univ
George Washintgon
Howard
USC
NY Medical College
Rosalind Franklin
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Upstate
UC San Diego
UC Los Angeles
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Univ of Central Florida
Univ of Chicago
Univ of Cincinnati
Univ of Nebraska
Univ of Rochester
Univ of Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth Univ
Wake Forest
Brown

Now, without the Master's degree I wouldn't bother with the better schools on this list, but I'm hoping that with it I'll get bumped into consideration. I don't know if that's realistic or not, but... what do you guys think? I've got 24 schools on here and wouldn't mind whittling it down a bit. Please let me know if there's OOS-friendly schools I should add, though. Regarding the North Carolina/Virginia schools, I have relatives there so I'd like to keep those schools, even if I don't have a great chance as OOS, .

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you scheduled to take the MCAT again?

I'd eliminate: FSU, UCF, Pritzker and SUNY (2x) and Nebraska.

Your list is OK. If you don't mind NOLA, you can add Tulane. Consider Saint Louis, MC Wisconsin and Loyola as well.

There's really no such thing as 'OOS friendly.' Some public schools do take a good number of OOS, but these are almost always people with exceptional credentials and or strong connections to the state. I think UMich might be one of them, but obviously you need a very strong application to get in.

Thanks for the response. I actually had Wisconsin on the list and then later took it off. I'll give it another consideration. I was also looking at St. Louis as well, now I feel more positively about it. I hadn't considered Tulane but I'll look into it. Not sure about Loyola though b/c of the Jesuit aspect.

BTW, what's wrong with UCF? It's a new school so I thought I'd give it a shot. Is it really bad for OOS?

As far as the MCAT, I haven't rescheduled because it seems too late now (by "apply later" I meant next year, sorry), but if I don't get in this year that's the first thing I'll be looking at.