3.37 cgpa 3.84 sgpa 501 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JimBone905

OMS4
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I posted before but now that I have my app verified and some secondaries out, I wanted to get some further insight.
cgpa: 3.37
sgpa: 3.84
non-sci gpa: 2.9
3.9 gpa over last 90 credits with mostly science classes
MCAT : 128,121,128,124

lot's of EC's, research, volunteering, shadowing, and leadership.

No MD or DO letters in yet, but i have the requests submitted and they should be in in like a week or two. So far i just submitted secondaries to LECOM and am planning to submit to NYCOM, VCOM, OSUCOM and AT-Still. Haven't gotten a secondary back from WVCOM, Pikeville, ACOM yet.

Are my chances okay still for this cycle? Will they get my physician LOR's in time prior to the interview? Does it make a difference if they are a little late?

Dream school is NYCOM (either LI or Arkansas campus). Think I still have a good chance this late in the cycle (NY resident) ?

Members don't see this ad.

Apply broadly to DO and you'll be fine.

You know which schools I don't like.
is it fine if i submit my physician letters after my secondaries, like maybe a few days after?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to update, finished the fall 2018 semester with all A's (22 credits, 3 upper level bio courses, a comp sci course and a few sociology courses)
cGPA is at a 3.43 and sGPA is now >3.9.

I updated AACOMAS with the new grades but it has not been verified. I'll try to submit the official transcript in a few days. Will they see the unofficial grades sooner than that? I am currently planning for my MCAT retake but still hoping i have a shot at this cycle even though its almost over. With this updated GPA, would it still be possible?

JimBone: if you retook and got a 514 MCAT or better you'd be a competitive MD student. A 3.9 GPA in 90 credits of science classes goes a long way to show reinvention.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't want to rush my MCAT retake. I might not be ready with a 510+ by the start of the upcoming cycle so I am planning on applying only to DO again with my 3.43/3.9 501 in June 2019 and see how my chances work out during the cycle (my gpa should also go up by the end of the spring 2019 semester, but not to a 3.5). After I finish all of my secondaries for the cycle (sometime in july/august i assume), I will try to score 510+ since i will be out of college and have much more time to study for the mcat. Unless I score 510+ on my practice tests around May, I will stick with my 501 and see how the upcoming cycle works out. I feel like the major reason I didnt hear back yet this cycle was because i was complete in mid november and my app was a bit rushed. An early (june) application might give me a better chance. is there any other advice anyone could give me? any would be appreciated.