3.4 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, MCAT pending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

white plum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys; this is a slight rehashing of a post I wrote a few days ago in pre-allo, but I wanted some DO-centric opinions. :)

AACOMAS:
cGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.0
(Low, I know; I also had to finish UG in 5 years)

MCAT: N/A, shooting for a 30+

Academic stuff that doesn't make me totally worthless
- Deans List mentions
- award on behalf of bio department

Clinical Volunteering:
- Hospital
- EMT for a local roller derby team, local runs

Physician Shadowing: (include specialties and total hours)
- Ambulance time with local FD (30 hours)
- ER shifts as a student EMT (25 hours)
- Pediatric neurology (90 hours)
- Pediatrics (12 hours)
- Family care (MD: 10, DO: 10)

Nonclinical volunteer activities
- miscellaneous campus events
- nearby pantries
- volunteer teacher

Employment
- Pediatric neurology? Can it count as both?
- currently working with people with autism (autism is a pretty big thing for me; I'm considering specializing in treating PDD kids)

I've been told I have a decent shot at applying this cycle despite the sad sGPA, pending I take the MCAT in July/August and get 30+. I know I want to apply to CCOM for sure. Should I try applying this cycle? If it falls through I'd do retakes in the spring and reapply next year. Or should I just wait, do the retakes, and apply next year anyway?

THANK YOU for reading, and thank you for any and all helpful responses. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys; this is a slight rehashing of a post I wrote a few days ago in pre-allo, but I wanted some DO-centric opinions. :)

AACOMAS:

- Deans List mentions

Clinical Volunteering:
- Hospital

- Pediatrics (12 hours)

- nearby pantries
- volunteer teacher

Employment
- currently working with people with autism (autism is a pretty big thing for me; I'm considering specializing in treating PDD kids)

I've been told I have a decent shot at applying this cycle despite the sad sGPA, pending I take the MCAT in July/August and get 30+. I know I want to apply to CCOM for sure. Should I try applying this cycle? If it falls through I'd do retakes in the spring and reapply next year. Or should I just wait, do the retakes, and apply next year anyway?

26+ should get you in somewhere... Low sGPA, but everything else looks good. You might need a 30+ MCAT for CCOM...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, apply now and see how the cycle shakes out. The sGPA is worrisome, but I think this year take it on the chin. I think you will get plenty of interviews.

AACOMAS:

- Deans List mentions

Clinical Volunteering:
- Hospital

- Pediatrics (12 hours)

- nearby pantries
- volunteer teacher

Employment

Your stats are in a way similar to mine. My sGpa is a bit higher and my EC variety is fewer than yours but mine was more long term so we have similar hours. I am in the same boat as you, because according the forum my sgpa is on the low end of acceptable/competitive.

It's nerve wrecking I know. I also have been told (on this forum) that with a high 20's MCAT I have somewhat of a shot. So if I gather the information that was told to me, yes you have a shot. I don't know if it's a solid or good shot, but you do have one and that's better than no shot at all.

Yes, apply now and see how the cycle shakes out. The sGPA is worrisome, but I think this year take it on the chin. I think you will get plenty of interviews.

Thanks Goro! I'm conflicted because I've been getting some "squeeze in an MCAT and apply this cycle"s and I've got some "wait until your app is together and then apply"s; I'm completely on the fence right now.

Foreveryours91 said:
Your stats are in a way similar to mine. My sGpa is a bit higher and my EC variety is fewer than yours but mine was more long term so we have similar hours. I am in the same boat as you, because according the forum my sgpa is on the low end of acceptable/competitive.

It's nerve wrecking I know. I also have been told (on this forum) that with a high 20's MCAT I have somewhat of a shot. So if I gather the information that was told to me, yes you have a shot. I don't know if it's a solid or good shot, but you do have one and that's better than no shot at all.

Hey! Always good to know you're not alone. Thanks for the input. We can do it!! :D