3.4 cGPA 3.1 sGPA, 26 MCAT, lots of ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonloblaw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I am graduating for a prestigious public school with a degree in Political Science and a whole hell of a lot of science classes along the way.

First year: 3.5 gpa took the gen chem and bio
Second year: messed around too much and screwed up so 3.0 along with a C in Intro ochem, bacteriology, and parasitology and a D in second semester ochem
Last two years: got my act together, retook ochem 2 and got an AB, did well in physics. GPA for the last two years is 3.83 (with a lot of adnvaced level poli sci in there). I did take a two credit virology course and got a C because I really put minimal effort into it.
Lap semester: last semester of college. taking statistics and neurobio.

Been doing research since 2007. First just statistical analysis at a medical school and now on a variety of studies at a hospital. Looks like I can get some good letters from the doctors I've worked with.

Lots of shadowing for the past two years with all the doctors I have worked with as well as a lot of clinical experience working.

Vice President of my fraternity.
4 years of consistent volunteering. (will get a letter from there too)

Only one letter from a hard science (immunology) but others from doctors, research coordinators, volunteer leaders, global health professors, and political science professors.

SO, I have been seriously considering doing an SMP to get that science gpa up. I am not sure if it is even worth it for me to apply this cycle because of my poor performance that second year.

Got a 26 on the June 20th MCAT and signed up to retake but no lie, its really difficult to devote more of my time to this f**king test. Complete lack of motivation at this point.

ANYWAY, advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

So I am graduating for a prestigious public school with a degree in Political Science and a whole hell of a lot of science classes along the way.

First year: 3.5 gpa took the gen chem and bio
Second year: messed around too much and screwed up so 3.0 along with a C in Intro ochem, bacteriology, and parasitology and a D in second semester ochem
Last two years: got my act together, retook ochem 2 and got an AB, did well in physics. GPA for the last two years is 3.83 (with a lot of adnvaced level poli sci in there). I did take a two credit virology course and got a C because I really put minimal effort into it.
Lap semester: last semester of college. taking statistics and neurobio.

Been doing research since 2007. First just statistical analysis at a medical school and now on a variety of studies at a hospital. Looks like I can get some good letters from the doctors I've worked with.

Lots of shadowing for the past two years with all the doctors I have worked with as well as a lot of clinical experience working.

Vice President of my fraternity.
4 years of consistent volunteering. (will get a letter from there too)

Only one letter from a hard science (immunology) but others from doctors, research coordinators, volunteer leaders, global health professors, and political science professors.

SO, I have been seriously considering doing an SMP to get that science gpa up. I am not sure if it is even worth it for me to apply this cycle because of my poor performance that second year.

Got a 26 on the June 20th MCAT and signed up to retake but no lie, its really difficult to devote more of my time to this f**king test. Complete lack of motivation at this point.

ANYWAY, advice?
http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/careers.html :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
bambam92, I really think that was an inconsiderate post. Please show a little more maturity. Anyways, I think with those scores, you can get into some schools. Just apply and if that doesn't work out, study for the mcats again or work on a post back.

thanks for the response! I actually totally blanked on the grade replacement for DO schools. In that case my cGPA is 3.47 and sGPA is 3.217.

thanks for the response! I actually totally blanked on the grade replacement for DO schools. In that case my cGPA is 3.47 and sGPA is 3.217.

I think you should be fine as long as you apply early, broadly, and realistically