MD & DO 3.4 cGPA/3.3 sGPA Will lack of volunteering hurt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuantumBroccoli

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please give me advice on how to increase my chances (mostly applying DO)!
Graduated in 2015 with Biology major (3.4 cGPA/3.3 sGPA).
Plan on taking MCAT in Spring 2016.

-Research: 2 years with abstracts and presentations
-1 year as member in foreign aid student organization (freshman year)
-Plan on shadowing a DO this year

-From a poor family, so I've worked since I was 16 and all throughout college (food, retail, and healthcare). Working while being in school made it very difficult for me to volunteer a lot.
Currently the head medical assistant at a private practice owned by two MDs. By the time I apply I will have around 5,000 hours of paid clinical experience.
Unfortunately I have no volunteering now. I'm starting to volunteer in a nursing home, but I'm not sure if I'll get enough hours by application time. Will this ruin my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

If you score at least 505 on the MCAT you would be competitive for the majority of DO schools. At least 500 is competitive for the newer schools. Your clinical medical experience is more than adequate.

If you score at least 505 on the MCAT you would be competitive for the majority of DO schools. At least 500 is competitive for the newer schools. Your clinical medical experience is more than adequate.
Are you saying that my clinical experience makes volunteering less necessary? Do I even have a shot if I don't volunteer >50hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you saying that my clinical experience makes volunteering less necessary? Do I even have a shot if I don't volunteer >50hours?
5000 hours of paid clinical work is similar to the same number of hours volunteering . The volunteering hours in the nursing home will help.

Please give me advice on how to increase my chances (mostly applying DO)!
Graduated in 2015 with Biology major (3.4 cGPA/3.3 sGPA).
Plan on taking MCAT in Spring 2016.

-Research: 2 years with abstracts and presentations
-1 year as member in foreign aid student organization (freshman year)
-Plan on shadowing a DO this year

-From a poor family, so I've worked since I was 16 and all throughout college (food, retail, and healthcare). Working while being in school made it very difficult for me to volunteer a lot.
Currently the head medical assistant at a private practice owned by two MDs. By the time I apply I will have around 5,000 hours of paid clinical experience.
Unfortunately I have no volunteering now. I'm starting to volunteer in a nursing home, but I'm not sure if I'll get enough hours by application time. Will this ruin my chances?
I wouldn't do the volunteer job, honestly. Your experience is enough, and medical assisting in a medical clinic is more impressive than wiping butts at a nursing home - in other words your former experience would overshadow your latter. DO is the route for you, as those schools are more likely to take your back story into account in a "whole picture of the applicant" approach. Your GPA is sufficient, and as long as your score average or above on your Mcat you should be good to go. The more "rural" or less mainstream DO schools are your best bet with your whole picture. I don't see how any DO school could turn your story down, or wouldn't at least give you an interview to come and tell your story in person. Good luck!
(source: 3rd year DO med student; extensive experience as a student liason/mentor to interviewing students who were all in the same boat as you - I've seen your story a hundred times ;))

BTW, nice username

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Your experience is enough, and medical assisting in a medical clinic is more impressive than wiping butts at a nursing home

This isn't true. Volunteering in a nursing home providing a service these individuals can't do for themselves is invaluable. It shows altruism and adds something to his app that his clinical job, while excellent, does not.

OP do the volunteering and don't worry about the number of hours. What can it hurt? Nothing. What can you gain? Potentially a lot in the eyes of adcoms. Your app is good and you will be competative everywhere with a decent MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 user
This isn't true. Volunteering in a nursing home providing a service these individuals can't do for themselves is invaluable. It shows altruism and adds something to his app that his clinical job, while excellent, does not.

OP do the volunteering and don't worry about the number of hours. What can it hurt? Nothing. What can you gain? Potentially a lot in the eyes of adcoms. Your app is good and you will be competative everywhere with a decent MCAT score.

I am definitely worried that my small amount of volunteering will be perceived as a lack of altruism. I'll continue volunteering for now. Thanks for the input!

Reactions: 1 user