MD & DO 3.4 cGPA (veteran) Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TravDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, now that I have all of my stats I guess it's time to get this post started! I appreciate any advice, thanks in advance :)

1. 3.4 cGPA and 3.3 sGPA
  2. 502
  3. Home state - Colorado (born in CA, still have family but am not a resident)
  4. White
  5. Public school in CO
  6. 4,000+ paid hours clinical work, 500+ volunteer
  7. 400+ hours as a postgraduate research assistant (unpaid)
  8. 300+ Hours shadowing GS, EM, FM Physicians, both MD and DO
  9. 500+ hours non-profit volunteering (Sexual Assault Prevention, Treatment/Response)
  10. 1 year Collegiate Athletics, 5 years US Navy, 2 Tours, 1 Combat Deployment (healthcare job in military, responsibly for treatment of Navy and Marines in Combat environments (E5)
  11. Several Military related awards, great LOR's from US Navy Physicians (2) and Science Faculty (3)
  12. Significant Upward Trend (3.87 over last 60 credits, all; UD Bio/Chem)
Is this list (below) too narrow, too broad? I appreciate absolutely any input, please and thank you!

Note: My goal is to stay in Colorado, but the only allopathic school out here is the University of Colorado, and I'm not sure I'll be super competitive, so I will also be applying to Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine, along with a handful of other DO schools.

I have not ruled out retaking the MCAT, and will be applying next cycle.

These are the schools I have narrowed down my MSAR favorites to (based on 30%+ out of state acceptance):
Albany Medical College
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel UCOM
Eastern Virginia University
Quinnipiac University
Georgetown
George Washington
Oakload Beaumont
St Louis
Creighton
Loyola (IL)
Jefferson
NY Medical College
Temple
Tulane
USUHS
University of Arizona COM (tucson, pheonix)
University of Colorado (home state)
VCU
Wake Forest
Western Michigan

DMU
AZCOM
TUNCOM
BCOM
UIW
RVU-CO
RVU-UT
Touro-CA
Both Westerns

Would love to add Cal State Schools on here as that's where I was born/have family, I'm thinking I need a 510+ in order to do that though.

Thank you for your input!

Travis

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm by no means an expert, but you might want to look at schools that not only take oos, but also where you are at least a little closer to the 10th percentile or higher. Being military will help a bit but with a 3.4/502 I'd look a lot more at DO schools, and fewer schools like Dartmouth. Are you URM?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
U Washington accepts less than 1% of applicants who are not from the Northwest states. You have other state public schools on your list-Wright State, Virginia Tech, South Carolina, Cooper, Marshall, Toledo, Louisville that accept very few non residents with your stats. I suggest adding these schools:
Vermont
Penn State
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Oakland Beaumont
St. Louis
Creighton

Members don't see this ad :)
You're right, a few of these I had as reaches hoping for a higher MCAT and I should remove now. I am not an URM either.

Okay, now that I have all of my stats I guess it's time to get this post started! I appreciate any advice, thanks in advance :)

1. 3.4 cGPA and 3.3 sGPA
  2. 502
  3. Home state - Colorado (born in CA, still have family but am not a resident)
  4. White
  5. Public school in CO
  6. 4,000+ paid hours clinical work, 500+ volunteer
  7. 400+ hours as a postgraduate research assistant (unpaid)
  8. 300+ Hours shadowing GS, EM, FM Physicians, both MD and DO
  9. 500+ hours non-profit volunteering (Sexual Assault Prevention, Treatment/Response)
  10. 1 year Collegiate Athletics, 5 years US Navy, 2 Tours, 1 Combat Deployment (healthcare job in military, responsibly for treatment of Navy and Marines in Combat environments (E5)
  11. Several Military related awards, great LOR's from US Navy Physicians (2) and Science Faculty (3)
  12. Significant Upward Trend (3.87 over last 60 credits, all; UD Bio/Chem)
Is this list (below) too narrow, too broad? I appreciate absolutely any input, please and thank you!

Note: My goal is to stay in Colorado, but the only allopathic school out here is the University of Colorado, and I'm not sure I'll be super competitive, so I will also be applying to Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine, along with a handful of other DO schools.

I have not ruled out retaking the MCAT, and will be applying next cycle.

These are the schools I have narrowed down my MSAR favorites to (based on 30%+ out of state acceptance):
Albany Medical College
Rosalind Franklin
Cooper of Rowan University
Drexel UCOM
Quinnipiac University
Dartmouth
Geisinger SOM
Georgetown
USC (Keck)
Loyola (IL)
Marshall (WV)
Medical College of Wisconsin
NY Medical College
University of Toledo
Brown
Tulane
USF Morsani
USUHS
Illinois
Louisville
South Caroline - Greenville
University of Washington
VCU
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Western Michigan
Wright State
Would love to add Cal State Schools on here as that's where I was born/have family, I'm thinking I need a 510+ in order to do that though.

Thank you for your input!

Travis

U Washington accepts less than 1% of applicants who are not from the Northwest states. You have other state public schools on your list-Wright State, Virginia Tech, South Carolina, Cooper, Marshall, Toledo, Louisville that accept very few non residents with your stats. I suggest adding these schools:
Vermont
Penn State
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Oakland Beaumont
St. Louis
Creighton

Awesome, I will remove Washington and the others and add those that you recommended! Thanks!

Many thanks for your service to our country!
Of your list, I suggest:

Albany Medical College
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel UCOM
Quinnipiac University
Georgetown
George Washington
Oakload Beaumont
St Louis
Creighton
Loyola (IL)
Jefferson
NY Medical College
Temple
Tulane
USUHS
VCU
Wake Forest
Western Michigan

ADD:
DMU
AZCOM
TUNCOM
BCOM
UIW
RVU-UT
Touro-CA
Both Westerns

Many thanks for your service to our country!
Of your list, I suggest:

Albany Medical College
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel UCOM
Quinnipiac University
Georgetown
George Washington
Oakload Beaumont
St Louis
Creighton
Loyola (IL)
Jefferson
NY Medical College
Temple
Tulane
USUHS
VCU
Wake Forest
Western Michigan

ADD:
DMU
AZCOM
TUNCOM
BCOM
UIW
RVU-UT
Touro-CA
Both Westerns

Thank you! Changes made to my list, although I left RVU-CO on there since it's down the street and worth a shot :)

Any chance in Texas public schools? I've heard they can be very veteran friendly but also are obviously very strict about in state preference.. Worth going through another application system for?

ETSU gives special consideration to vets.

Update: I took my last practice test from the AAMC bundle yesterday, and I got a 510. I really think I can do much better than the 502, so I registered to retake the exam on September 2. Thank you all for your advice!

How did your test go today? I just wanted to say thanks for your service. Apply to the veteran friendly schools in Texas and I think you have a pretty solid chance.