3.41 GPA 22 MCAT. Chances at SGU, ROSS, AUC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sairam84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you in advance for all your help.
My Stats:
GPA 3.41, Science 3.3
MCAT 22: V8, PS 7, BS 7
Extensive research and over 200+ hours volunteering.
Do you guys think i have a shot at the big 4 carrib schools?

Thank you once again.

Members don't see this ad.

My Stats:
GPA 3.41, Science 3.3

Thank you once again.

i was accepted to both SGU & ROSS w/ higher stats. however, you are the statistical twin of one of my good friends who applied to the big 4. my friend does not have research experience and has fewer volunteer hours. that being said, she was accepted to all 4 caribbean schools.

im almost positive that you will get accepted to AT LEAST 1 of the big 4 and i wont be surprised if u get into 3 or 4. you may have trouble w/ St Georges but i think the rest shouldnt be difficult for you!

good chances! Have you thought about applying DO? You would probably want to retake the mcat but I know people with those stats who get into DO schools, rare though.

Members don't see this ad :)
you have a great shot at some DO schools as well.

you have a great shot at some DO schools as well.
with 22, 28 being the average, I do not believe they have a great shot, just a SHot. But if they want to go Sept 2008 then the Caribbean is the only place for now.

one of my friends is at Ross now and had lower stats than that and got in..

with 22, 28 being the average, I do not believe they have a great shot, just a SHot. But if they want to go Sept 2008 then the Caribbean is the only place for now.

28 is the average for DO schools? i thought it was closer to 24?

28 is the average for DO schools? i thought it was closer to 24?
24 if you believe the premeds on SDN and the anecdotal stuff on the net.

Real numbers are around 28 and 3.3 or better for DO schools, lower then that is a maybe not a yes.................26 and 3.2 maybe if the app is good, You see Premeds like to make this pure numbers but it is not it is a lot more, a lot more then I can post but an application should reflect

GPA and MCAT within a decent range and balanced

9-9-9 (27) beats a 11-5-11 (27) every day and Sunday!

Its not just numbers

A 3.3 can be helped by a MCAT of 32 sure but you can be turned down by the rest of the app stinks

Like "I had not time for Volunteering" The Admission commitee will think " You had time to go out, Date and have fun, but no time to help others, something most premeds say."

"I could not get a shadowing experience." " I know what a Doctor is like from reading and TV shows like Grey's anatomy and House." The Admission Committee: "But so far just about all the other applicants have had the Shadowing experience, watching a TV show is not experience in real life."

"I had to work during school so I had no time for patient experience" Admission commitee " We have had hundreds of applicants who have found jobs getting paid with patient experience." ( Nursing aid, EMT, ER Tech, plus a few others)

My point here is that there is so much more then numbers with getting accepted, getting to study medicine is one of the greatest things to do in life,

It's an exclusive club, if you do not understand this or think this is BS, then maybe you are in the wrong course of study.

I have said it over and over .....................................

US Medical Schools are looking for the BEST of the BEST, no matter how you want to deny this it is the bottom line and explains why some people with decent stats still do not get accepted, the Admission committees felt they did not measure up.............................................................:eek:

you really need to retake the MCAT for DO schools. You will be waitlisted and probably won't get a spot. I'm not sure about Caribbean. Probably a pretty good shot.

you have a good shot at ross... during my interview, the staff member told me that the averages for ross is a 3.3 gpa, 24 MCAT and that they will accept candidates with lower scores depending on their ECs and passion to pursue medicine... i say apply to all 4 and maybe only St. G will give you a hard time...

You have a fair shot

You have a good chance at all 4 schools. For SGU, you likely will have a better shot at the Jan class rather than august so I would keep that in mind. Anyway, I would not retake anything without applying to the carib schools and seeing what happens.

With all due respect to everyone's opinion. I think you can boost up your chances for US medical school. Just have to retake the MCAT and also try to get your science GPA to 3.4-3.5 range. As far as Caribbean goes apply and see what happens.

Thanks.

My Stats:
GPA 3.41, Science 3.3

Thank you once again.

With all due respect to everyone's opinion. I think you can boost up your chances for US medical school. Just have to retake the MCAT and also try to get your science GPA to 3.4-3.5 range. As far as Caribbean goes apply and see what happens.

Thanks.
I think you are right too, but the MCAT needs to be around 28 to 30 for a DO school even, 3.4 is just at the low end but its very doable from what I have seen these last 2 years.

I was wondering if someone can give me advice on what my chances are. I don't know where to ask this, so you may have read this already.
grad in '02, B S in psychobiology, gpa 2.3. post-bacc (9 courses), gpa 3.56. MCAT 24 (twice). 5 years 4 mo clinical research experience in hematology/oncology at medical center. I know my undergard gpa is very low but i was hoping that my working experience and LOR's will help me. My LOR's are from Chief of Hem/Onc, director of research, physics prof/advisor and bio prof/chair of bio.
Thanks a lot!

more than likely you will get accepted at AUC, Ross and Saba with those numbers almost definately. SGU would be the only one i would be worried about hearing a rejection from