3.44 GPA/34 MCAT - Too late for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluepotato

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My sGPA and cGPA are both around a 3.44/3.43 and I got a 34O on the MCAT (12 BS/10 PS/12 VR).

I'm kind of a non-traditional applicant and have a lot of non-medical volunteering and work experience. I've also done a good deal of physician shadowing and some clinical volunteer work, but not a ton.

This is my school list right now:

• OHSU (Oregon resident)
  • Marshall
  • Drexel
  • Rosalind Franklin Chicago
  • EVMS
  • Temple
  • Tulane

If I get my primary in today or tomorrow would I have a shot? Are there any schools I should/shouldn't be applying to? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The general consensus here is to apply once and with the strongest possible application and early. Unless your MCAT is expiring, I wouldn't reccomend it. Maybe you would use this year to bump your GPA to over 3.5 (if that is possible?).

I disagree with above. If you submit today or tomorrow, you'll be fine. Apply broadly, and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree with above. If you submit today or tomorrow, you'll be fine. Apply broadly, and good luck!

No, it is definitely on the later side, especially if you haven't submitted your primary yet as it will take weeks to verify. I submitted many secondaries in August and that already felt pretty late and potentially hurt me.

The general consensus here is to apply once and with the strongest possible application and early. Unless your MCAT is expiring, I wouldn't reccomend it. Maybe you would use this year to bump your GPA to over 3.5 (if that is possible?).

I don't really have the time or ability to bump my GPA at this point, and I've already submitted my osteopathic application so this cycle is it for me (hopefully!) . I'm just wondering if I'll have a chance at an MD school at this point or if August really is that late for someone with my stats.

If anyone has any other thoughts or feedback on my school list I'd appreciate it :luck:

My sGPA and cGPA are both around a 3.44/3.43 and I got a 34O on the MCAT (12 BS/10 PS/12 VR).

I'm kind of a non-traditional applicant and have a lot of non-medical volunteering and work experience. I've also done a good deal of physician shadowing and some clinical volunteer work, but not a ton.

This is my school list right now:

• OHSU (Oregon resident)
  • Marshall
  • Drexel
  • Rosalind Franklin Chicago
  • EVMS
  • Temple
  • Tulane

If I get my primary in today or tomorrow would I have a shot? Are there any schools I should/shouldn't be applying to? Thanks!
Absolutely apply to OHSU this cycle. As an oregon resident, I applied to OHSU last year in October and ended up with an acceptance. Because of their non-rolling admissions, it will not disadvantage you to apply late.

As for the other schools on your list, I really can't say much. The general consensus on SDN is to apply as early as possible, although I do no people accepted to other schools who applied late in the cycle.

Absolutely apply to OHSU this cycle. As an oregon resident, I applied to OHSU last year in October and ended up with an acceptance. Because of their non-rolling admissions, it will not disadvantage you to apply late.

As for the other schools on your list, I really can't say much. The general consensus on SDN is to apply as early as possible, although I do no people accepted to other schools who applied late in the cycle.

OHSU is my top choice for MD schools so that is really good to know. Thank you!

If money isn't the biggest issue I would give it a shot, although I would add some more schools to your list to increase your chances. Also try and pre-write all your secondaries while waiting for AMCAS to verify your primary. That will speed up your turn-around time tremendously post-verification.