MD & DO 3.45 cGPA, 3.39 sGPA, 512 MCAT, UT Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoGeen

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to look my post. I appreciate any input into helping with my school list. I have used a combination of WedgeDawg, Lizzy M, and the MSAR report to decide on MD schools. I will also be applying to DO schools at a later point, as an MD re-applicant. My application is ready to go, just sifting through schools at this point and starting to pre-write secondaries. Willing to take any advice or criticism.

Background: Attended level two undergraduate school, according to WedgeDawg. Three years of lab research resulting in a publication. Currently volunteering in a low-income clinic with strong LOR from my supervisor. White male and Utahn.

GPA
3.45 cGPA, 3.39 sGPA verified

Engineer at a top-tier school for pre-med students. Course load and transcript are indicative of why my GPA is lower than the average matriculated student. Hopefully, my committee letter will address this with the information I have provided them. My only electives in college were language courses, so my entire transcript consists of science classes essentially.

MCAT

Clinical Experience (650+ hours)
- Low-income clinic with diverse, underserved patient base. (500 hours)
- Sports medicine clinic with very hands-on experience. (150 hours)

Non-Clinical Volunteering (200+)
- Unique volunteer experience with a group that assists disabled populations.

Research (1,000+ hours)
- Research assistant in a cancer research lab and oversaw another undergraduate.
- Publication

Chart Abstractor (400+ hours)
- A paid summer job at a medical facility.

Other Leadership
- Executive Board member in Greek Life.
- Committee head on student-run entertainment organization with three years involvement.
- EMT certification to be more hands-on in a clinical capacity.

Shadowing (70+ hours)
- Various physicians, ranging from family practice to orthopedic surgeons.

LORs
- Mid-to-strong LOR packet. I don’t want to be overconfident, but LOR from the low-income clinic is very well written with specific examples attesting to my capabilities.
- Personal statement about “passion” for medicine my whole life with examples verified by LOR.

School List:
I have tried to weigh WedgeDawg’s system with OOS yield from MSAR.

Strong ties to Utah (born and raised). Significant other’s family has lived in Ohio their entire lives. Dad’s family is all from update NY. Could I possibly claim connections there? Just throwing some *possible* connections out there.

Tentative List:
Ohio State
Rochester
Cincinnati
Maryland
Colorado
Virginia Commonwealth
Utah
Toledo
Wake Forest
Albany
Arizona – Phoenix
Wake Forest (legacy)
Albany
Wayne State
Drexel
Chicago Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Arizona – Tuscon

Possible Additions:
University of Iowa
Eastern Virginia
Illinois
Kentucky
USF
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Medical College of Wisconsin
Creighton
Minnesota – Minneapolis
Rush
New York Medical College
Geisinger Commonwealth
Quinnipiac

@Goro @Faha @LizzyM @gyngyn
Would appreciate your input.

Members don't see this ad.

You have many state public schools on your list that accept very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Utah
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
George Washington
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Carle Illinois (your engineering background may help)
California University (new school)
Kaiser (when it opens)
Also apply to at least 6 DO schools

Thank you for taking the time to look my post. I appreciate any input into helping with my school list. I have used a combination of WedgeDawg, Lizzy M, and the MSAR report to decide on MD schools. I will also be applying to DO schools at a later point, as an MD re-applicant. My application is ready to go, just sifting through schools at this point and starting to pre-write secondaries. Willing to take any advice or criticism.

Background: Attended level two undergraduate school, according to WedgeDawg. Three years of lab research resulting in a publication. Currently volunteering in a low-income clinic with strong LOR from my supervisor. White male and Utahn.

GPA
3.45 cGPA, 3.39 sGPA verified

Engineer at a top-tier school for pre-med students. Course load and transcript are indicative of why my GPA is lower than the average matriculated student. Hopefully, my committee letter will address this with the information I have provided them. My only electives in college were language courses, so my entire transcript consists of science classes essentially.

MCAT

Clinical Experience (650+ hours)
- Low-income clinic with diverse, underserved patient base. (500 hours)
- Sports medicine clinic with very hands-on experience. (150 hours)

Non-Clinical Volunteering (200+)
- Unique volunteer experience with a group that assists disabled populations.

Research (1,000+ hours)
- Research assistant in a cancer research lab and oversaw another undergraduate.
- Publication

Chart Abstractor (400+ hours)
- A paid summer job at a medical facility.

Other Leadership
- Executive Board member in Greek Life.
- Committee head on student-run entertainment organization with three years involvement.
- EMT certification to be more hands-on in a clinical capacity.

Shadowing (70+ hours)
- Various physicians, ranging from family practice to orthopedic surgeons.

LORs
- Mid-to-strong LOR packet. I don’t want to be overconfident, but LOR from the low-income clinic is very well written with specific examples attesting to my capabilities.
- Personal statement about “passion” for medicine my whole life with examples verified by LOR.

School List:
I have tried to weigh WedgeDawg’s system with OOS yield from MSAR.

Strong ties to Utah (born and raised). Significant other’s family has lived in Ohio their entire lives. Dad’s family is all from update NY. Could I possibly claim connections there? Just throwing some *possible* connections out there.

Tentative List:
Ohio State
Rochester
Cincinnati
Maryland
Colorado
Virginia Commonwealth
Utah
Toledo
Wake Forest
Albany
Arizona – Phoenix
Wake Forest (legacy)
Albany
Wayne State
Drexel
Chicago Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Arizona – Tuscon

Possible Additions:
University of Iowa
Eastern Virginia
Illinois
Kentucky
USF
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Medical College of Wisconsin
Creighton
Minnesota – Minneapolis
Rush
New York Medical College
Geisinger Commonwealth
Quinnipiac

@Goro @Faha @LizzyM @gyngyn
Would appreciate your input.
Are you aware the the OOS tuition at U ILL is ~$97K?

Here is a more realistic list:

Hofstra (maybe)
Albert Einstein (maybe)
U Toledo
Wayne State
Dartmouth
U VM
Miami
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Seton Hall
Nova MD
CUSM
U UT
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. Start list with the RVUs, TUNCOM, BCOM, AZCOM and all West Coast Schools.

Invest in MSAR Online and target schools from the above list where your GPAs are > their 10th %iles.

Thank you @Goro and @Faha for your advice. I have edited my list from both of your advice. The new schools were especially helpful and I am excited about Carle Illinois's engineering focus. I appreciate all of your help.

Reactions: 1 user