MD 3.46 overall with 3.4 sgpa. lots of research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khendzel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So gpa isn't where I wanted obviously. I just graduated (gap year now) and I don't know if it's worth mentioning (I won't say the school's name so it doesn't look like I'm suggesting anything) but I graduated from a top 15 University per US News and Report. Not sure if that matters (really, I don't -but I have heard it might- I do not have an ego lol)

MCAT- 34- 12 on both science sections, 10 on VR

Volunteering- 50 hrs in clinical setting with 150+ during my Senior year of HS which I mentioned in the work/activities description; I didn't feel entirely comfortable doing that, but it was a lot of hours, so oh well. Currently doing more volunteering in an ER and children's hospital during gap year (100-200 hours by next year. I did document this plan)

Clinical work- I have been an ER scribe for the past year and am continuing this into my gap year, full time. I was doing this 20-30 hrs/week during my entire senior year and it definitely effected my studying time and whatnot

Research- I was in a lab for 3 semesters (10+ hours a week) and 2 full time summers (40 hours a week). I presented formally twice at conferences and was published once (contributing author). I have a second publication as a contributing author pending (unless my PI screws me over which is a possibility)

Shadowing- during senior year, shadowed about 100 hours at a family practice- at a "free" clinic.

Internships- I studied abroad in London and had an internship at a local school for children with developmental disabilities- it was a mix of lecture/essays and "student teaching"

Other ECs- Lots of intramural sports, Men Against Violence (sexual) club on our campus- nothing that would really stand out. I was also my dorm's technology "liaison"- basically I did tech support for a year.

Other work- worked full time (manual labor type job) in the summer prior to undergrad. while working full time in my lab during one summer, I was also a Summer RA. (it was a busy summer)

Tutoring- Tutored for 3 years at school, both paid and volunteer-type work.

Letters of rec- from the dr I shadowed, a doctor I scribed for, my lab PI, and a science professor. Think I should add one more? I could add another ER doc I scribed for easily or the professor I had the London internship with.

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your list?
oops my bad

IL resident- every IL school
Indiana, MSU, Western Mich, Central Mich, VT, Quinnipiac (spelling?), Military Med school, Minnesota, Wisconsin, New York Medical College, BU, Cincinnati, Toledo.

because why not: Vandy, Emory, Florida, Oregon, Dartmouth

Members don't see this ad :)
wow thank you, that is assuring especially with the gpa.

If you don't mind me asking, do you think it's overkill to get an additional letter from a doctor I scribed with? Or I guess what I'm asking is do you think I should be adding on an additional letter?

wow thank you, that is assuring especially with the gpa.

If you don't mind me asking, do you think it's overkill to get an additional letter from a doctor I scribed with? Or I guess what I'm asking is do you think I should be adding on an additional letter?
Physician letters are fluff.

Add a few more schools such as:
Vermont
Hofstra
Albany
Oakland Beaumont
St. Louis
Creighton
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Tulane

oh I did do SLU, just forgot to mention it. Trying not to break the bank here though.. The one that surprises me on that list is Penn State actually. Thanks for the advice

oh I did do SLU, just forgot to mention it. Trying not to break the bank here though.. The one that surprises me on that list is Penn State actually. Thanks for the advice
If you are concerned about finances then remove Oregon and Florida since they strongly prefer their own state residents.