3.494 cgpa, 3.42 BCPM, 504 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

COOLGUY2313

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I was just wondering if I can get into any MD or DO schools with theses stats. Recently recieved my MCAT score. Should I do an SPM or a masters? Any advice would help.
EC’s
- neuroscience research for 3 years- 3 posters + proposed own project
- volunteer- 80 hours hospital
- vice president of neuroscience club
- honors college graduate
- Teaching Assistant for calculus, precalc, and trig
- Scribe- 1 year
- 1 year of intermural sports

Members don't see this ad.

What score is good enough?

Depends are you a URM (underrepresented minority)?
A good score to compensate for your stats and shooting for a DO school would be around a 510. Also, you might want to volunteer more. Aim for at least 300 hours.

EDIT: not trying to sound harsh, you are in a better position than many people but apply with a complete application. Have you graduated yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
A good score to compensate for your stats and shooting for a DO school would be around a 510. Also, you might want to volunteer more. Aim for at least 300 hours.

EDIT: not trying to sound harsh, you are in a better position than many people but apply with a complete application. Have you graduated yet?
Yes I am a URM

SMP/Masters if you want MD. Otherwise, retake Mcat and some DOs are within reach.

I'd have to disagree about retaking the MCAT if he/she wants to go DO. A 504 MCAT and around an overall 3.5 GPA was the average for male matriculants in 2017. Source: https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-...-profile-summary-report.pdf?sfvrsn=4f072597_8

A 510 would be nice, obviously, but unless he/she is shooting for a "top" DO school, in my opinion, retaking the MCAT would be a waste of time and resources that could otherwise be used for volunteering and other EC's.

Reactions: 2 users
Your stats are competitive for the newer DO schools - generally speaking, a 508 is competitive for all DO schools.

You need to increase your volunteering, especially towards the lesser fortunate.

Lastly, you need to have shadowed a physician, preferably primary care, for a minimum of 50 hours (try to get a DO if at all possible.)

Your stats are competitive for the newer DO schools - generally speaking, a 508 is competitive for all DO schools.

You need to increase your volunteering, especially towards the lesser fortunate.

Lastly, you need to have shadowed a physician, preferably primary care, for a minimum of 50 hours (try to get a DO if at all possible.)
I scribe for a DO does this count as shadowing?

That will look good. Don't know the complete scope of what school you're aiming for. However, the only thing that looks bad is the MCAT. You probably won't need to retake it depending on where you apply.
My goal is NSUCOM and. CCOM
That will look good. Don't know the complete scope of what school you're aiming for. However, the only thing that looks bad is the MCAT. You probably won't need to retake it depending on where you apply.

I scribe for a DO does this count as shadowing?

Scribing does not count as shadowing but it does look good on an application.

Apply broadly to DO and your stats will be okay.

Other than that focus on increasing volunteer hours and finding physicians to shadow. Specifically DO physicians as I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) some DO schools like to see that you've actually shadowed a DO specifically.

Reactions: 1 user
You are a great DO candidate. Probably need the MCAT closer to 510 to have a good shot at in state MD’s but apply broadly to both MD&DO.
If only the thousandth decimal of your cGPA rounded you up to 3.5 lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are a great DO candidate. Probably need the MCAT closer to 510 to have a good shot at in state MD’s but apply broadly to both MD&DO.
If only the thousandth decimal of your cGPA rounded you up to 3.5 lol.
Do you think taking a class like physiology and getting an A postgrad to get it to a 3.5 would change anything?

Do you think taking a class like physiology and getting an A postgrad to get it to a 3.5 would change anything?
Nope. I had 3.4 cgpa and sgpa, 510 and got into a good DO and some interviews at MD, it’s just gonna be tough with 504 to get MD attention

Nope. I had 3.4 cgpa and sgpa, 510 and got into a good DO and some interviews at MD, it’s just gonna be tough with 504 to get MD attention

It depends on if they are considered URM or not. If so then they will get plenty of MD attention

Then apply broadly to all Florida MD schools, some low tier private MD, and a DO list of about 10 schools. That should be a good strategy to get you multiple interviews.
Do you think I should retake MCAT?

Hello I was just wondering if I can get into any MD or DO schools with theses stats. Recently recieved my MCAT score. Should I do an SPM or a masters? Any advice would help.
EC’s
- neuroscience research for 3 years- 3 posters + proposed own project
- volunteer- 80 hours hospital
- vice president of neuroscience club
- honors college graduate
- Teaching Assistant for calculus, precalc, and trig
- Scribe- 1 year
- 1 year of intermural sports
Cubans are not considered URM. Chances will be best with all FL state schools (except probably USF), Nova MD and any DO school.
I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Also consider the three PR schools that take mainlanders if you speak Spanish.

Try a cycle before considering an SMP or post-bac. An MCAT retake is suggested as well...504 is getting down around the 10th %ile for many schools.

Cubans are not considered URM. Chances will be best with all FL state schools (except probably USF), Nova MD and any DO school.
I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Also consider the three PR schools that take mainlanders if you speak Spanish.

Try a cycle before considering an SMP or post-bac. An MCAT retake is suggested as well...504 is getting down around the 10th %ile for many schools.
Can I ask why not NOVA? and do you think the stats are competitive for DO? If not should I aim for a 507?

Can I ask why not NOVA? and do you think the stats are competitive for DO? If not should I aim for a 507?
Four consecutive years of declining first time COMLEX pass rates. They're now around 85%, which is what you expect for a brand new school, not a veteran like Nova. Something is very wrong there. With a possible residency crunch coming, DOs with red flags will be the first to end up unemployable.

Additional MD schools you might have a sliver of a chance would be:
Loma Linda (if you don't mind that its a seventh-day Adventist school)
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola Chicago
Medical College of Wisconsin
Vermont

Also start volunteering and helping those less fortunate. You did not mention having any non-clinical volunteer hours which will definitely hurt your app.

Four consecutive years of declining first time COMLEX pass rates. They're now around 85%, which is what you expect for a brand new school, not a veteran like Nova. Something is very wrong there. With a possible residency crunch coming, DOs with red flags will be the first to end up unemployable.
What would you recommend the MCAT to be? as you said to retake the MCAT. I talked to both NOVA MD and DO and they both said I was competitive, but I took that Lightly as I know they just want the $

Rosalind Franklin
Loyola Chicago
Vermont

Also start volunteering and helping those less fortunate. You did not mention having any non-clinical volunteer hours which will definitely hurt your app.
I will be doing this in my gap year, thank you

What would you recommend the MCAT to be? as you said to retake the MCAT. I talked to both NOVA MD and DO and they both said I was competitive, but I took that Lightly as I know they just want the $
For MD: 513+
For FL state schools: 508+
For DO schools, no retake needed.

Reactions: 1 users
For MD: 513+
For FL state schools: 508+
For DO schools, no retake needed.
Thank you. One more question, if I am not considered a URM then does the hispanic/latino stats still apply to me using the lizzy M score?

Thank you. One more question, if I am not considered a URM then does the hispanic/latino stats still apply to me using the lizzy M score?
Maybe. Your chances will always be best with your state schools, AND also if you have evidence of service to Hispanic communities or others in need. Too many people suddenly become Hispanic upon application to med school.

Maybe. Your chances will always be best with your state schools, AND also if you have evidence of service to Hispanic communities or others in need. Too many people suddenly become Hispanic upon application to med school.
I did this in High school. Also I was born in Cuba.

Cubans are not considered URM.
Yes, that was why I was confused about how the chances change when you add that you are a hispanic/latino in AAMCAS. But I guess this is due to the other Hispanic groups. Thank you.

Rosalind Franklin
Loyola Chicago
Vermont

I thought if you weren't a strong faith christian you're shot at loma linda was slim to none

Reactions: 1 users
Cubans are not considered URM.
Hey @Goro I forgot to mention that I had a terrible semester in spring of junior year, but came back with a 3.7 senior year and a 4.0 fall senior year semester. Overall upward trend though with a 0’6 slope.