3.5 cumulative/3.2 science (First two years of college were a struggle!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

galma89

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.5 cumulative gpa and a 3.2 science gpa. I want to add that my worse semesters were in the beginning of my college years, in which I had C’s and even a D twice in orgo. THIS ALL took place my first two years. It sucks that grade replacement does not apply anymore because I got a D and a D+ again, so I guess that means I have to count the grade twice, right?

My last 2.5 years of college were primarily good. There was a large upward trend with my last three semesters being around a 4.0. These last few semesters did include some biology courses, and one of my LOR will be from a professor who taught me my last semester.

I am currently retaking organic chemistry (I should be getting an A or B+). I already retook general chemistry and received an A. I will be taking biochem as well and hope to be receiving a good grade in that as well. (All three of these classes were/are being taken after graduation so it’s kind of like a post bacc.)

I have stellar extracurriculars, awards, leadership, community service, clinical hours, study abroad experience, and am even taking off another year to work as a scribe and have previous EMS experience. I may find a job doing clinical research as well. I have had four years of research working in a neurology laboratory and have even had a summer internship through a hospital and lab. I am just trying to be a little brief here but I feel like this area is taken care and the main areas to worry about are gpa and mcat!

MY MCAT: TBD. Yes! I know this is a huge factor, and I am working on it! I am taking it in September. I know it is difficult to say without the MCAT, but going into it, I guess I might need some motivation? I am just so worried about my science gpa and gpa. Can I not apply to any low tier MD schools with the gpa that I have even if I had an upward trend?

Any advice/tips appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Where you apply will be determined by your MCAT score. I assume that since you are taking the MCAT in September that you will not apply until June 2020. You could apply to DO schools in October when your score is available but that is too late for MD schools.

Where you apply will be determined by your MCAT score. I assume that since you are taking the MCAT in September that you will not apply until June 2020. You could apply to DO schools in October when your score is available but that is too late for MD schools.

Yeah I don’t plan on applying until next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Come back in the Fall when you have your MCAT. To speculate now is pointless. Your current GPAs are below average for MD but you do say you have an upward trend so your list depends on your MCAT score. And yes, the D and D+ in orgo are both counted. Every class you have ever taken, including every retake, is counted in your cGPA and sGPA.

Even though all grades are counted would admissions look favorably at the improvement and upward trend of the applicant?

Yes. For DO schools you'd want a 505 or better. For state MD schools, 510 or better; for midtiers, 513. Top 20s? Maybe with stellar ECs and a 520+ MCAT.