MD & DO 3.51 sGPA/3.65 cGPA/28 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buoyboat

Jeremiah 29:11
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a first time poster on SDN and would like to see if you guys could chance me! I am a 4th year graduating senior that will be applying when the next cycle opens up in June.

Optimistically, just for the sake of not having to take both board exams, I would like to go MD but I realize that my low MCAT score would qualify me more so for DO schools.

I am a California resident and I hear that we don't get a lot of in-state preference due to the popularity/prestige of our public school system.

I do have a preference for primary care as I would like to serve the underserved communities as I myself come from one. Hence my preference for volunteering in a free clinic as opposed to staying at the hospital.

My ECs are as listed:

100+ hours volunteering in a medical hospital
1 academic year of research - PI moved schools and dissolved the lab - sadly no publications :(
2 years as a Student Instructor - 1 year OChem, 1 quarter Human Physiology, 1 quarter Biochemistry
Shadowing a family practice physician (MD) consistently since this past september
Have shadowed two different DO's on separate occasions
Currently volunteering at a free clinic - started last month
Part of PhiDE - contributes to medical/non-medical volunteer work as we do service and philanthropy in our community.

Members don't see this ad.

With a DO letter you are a good candidate for both CA DO schools (and many others, too). You are a weak to fair candidate for the OOS MD schools where the MCAT median is at or near yours (if they take a fair number of OOS applicants, e.g. Albany).
It sounds like you already know this...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

I am a first time poster on SDN and would like to see if you guys could chance me! I am a 4th year graduating senior that will be applying when the next cycle opens up in June.

Optimistically, just for the sake of not having to take both board exams, I would like to go MD but I realize that my low MCAT score would qualify me more so for DO schools.

I am a California resident and I hear that we don't get a lot of in-state preference due to the popularity/prestige of our public school system.

I do have a preference for primary care as I would like to serve the underserved communities as I myself come from one. Hence my preference for volunteering in a free clinic as opposed to staying at the hospital.

My ECs are as listed:

100+ hours volunteering in a medical hospital
1 academic year of research - PI moved schools and dissolved the lab - sadly no publications :(
2 years as a Student Instructor - 1 year OChem, 1 quarter Human Physiology, 1 quarter Biochemistry
Shadowing a family practice physician (MD) consistently since this past september
Have shadowed two different DO's on separate occasions
Currently volunteering at a free clinic - started last month
Part of PhiDE - contributes to medical/non-medical volunteer work as we do service and philanthropy in our community.
I agree with gyngyn.

If you were to retake the MCAT and get a 30+ (preferably 32+), then you would have much better chances with MD.
You're looking great for DO though! Good job getting this far!