3.53/3.42/510 (TX resident)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brownkid95

Reaction score
Just curious what my chances are of getting an interview from any school on my school list. Applying this upcoming cycle. Mainly aiming for DO's because of GPA.

Half Colombian/half white

cGPA: 3.53
sGPA: 3.43

very solid upward trend starting from sophomore year

MCAT takes:

1st take in august of 2019: 502 (129/123/126/124)

2nd take on 3/14: 510 (127/126/130/127)

Clinical volunteering:
200 hours of passing out hot drinks and snacks to patients in clinical lobbies at my local hospital. Been doing this weekly for 3 years.

Non-clinical volunteering:
100 hours at my local food bank starting from January of this year (ongoing).

Shadowing:
50 hours total (25 with a cardiologist and 25 with a vascular surgeon)

Research:
520 hours of research in a clinical lab focused on substance abused participants (no publications or presentations).

Employment:
3000 hours I guess?
Been working in the restaurant industry since highschool, full time in the summer and part time on the weekends during the semester. Needed to do this to pay my portion of my tuition. Still in the industry to this day. This consisted of serving and a summer of bartending.

School list:
All TX medical schools because I am a TX resident (Not including Baylor because I don't want to fill out amcas for one school, plus very big reach).
TCOM
Sam Houston
University of Houston
Mcgovern
UT southwestern
Paul L. Foster
Texas A&M
TTUHSC
UT Long School of Medicine
UT Dell Medical School
UTMBSM
UT Rio Grande

DO out of state schools (limited to only these schools due to not having a doctor LOR):
LECOM
ROWAN
UNECOM
PCOM
OU-HCOM
NYITCOM
MSUCOM

If y'all have any advice on how to improve my chances of getting accepted that would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
MSUCOM, OUHCOM and ROWAN accept few non residents. Consider adding these DO schools:
AZCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
UIWSOM
ACOM

MSUCOM, OUHCOM and ROWAN accept few non residents. Consider adding these DO schools:
AZCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
UIWSOM
ACOM
Thank you for the advice! Are these schools okay to apply to without a letter of recommendation from a doctor? My LORs are 2 science profs and 1 from my lab PI

Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor is only a reach if you haven't reached out to them before hand, IMO. As it stands, I agree if you are fiscally conscious, you can avoid AMCAS unless you consider the HBCU schools (Howard, Meharry, Morehouse, Drew), but I'm also sure they are wary of taking Texas applicants given the difference in costs.

Reactions: 1 user
Baylor is only a reach if you haven't reached out to them before hand, IMO. As it stands, I agree if you are fiscally conscious, you can avoid AMCAS unless you consider the HBCU schools (Howard, Meharry, Morehouse, Drew), but I'm also sure they are wary of taking Texas applicants given the difference in costs.

As a TX resident myself, I would appreciate hearing more about how reaching out to Baylor would work and how it increases chances.

Is Baylor unusual in this regard?

Thanks!

As a TX resident myself, I would appreciate hearing more about how reaching out to Baylor would work and how it increases chances.

Is Baylor unusual in this regard?
I don't think it's unusual. Connect with other students who currently attend Baylor who post here on SDN and who are active in AMSA. They may direct you to the admissions staff if you don't already do it.

I don't think it's unusual. Connect with other students who currently attend Baylor who post here on SDN and who are active in AMSA. They may direct you to the admissions staff if you don't already do it.

So showing interest by speaking with admissions staff helps and doesn’t hurt? Do you mean speaking with admissions counselors at the school?

Reactions: 1 user

Could you clarify what you mean by this? Are you saying that reaching out to admissions staff turns a reach school into a non-reach school?

Could you clarify what you mean by this? Are you saying that reaching out to admissions staff turns a reach school into a non-reach school?
Not in and of itself, but you may be surprised that what you think is a reach school may not actually be as much of a stretch as you think, especially if you present yourself as more than a number or a desperate premed.

Not in and of itself, but you may be surprised that what you think is a reach school may not actually be as much of a stretch as you think, especially if you present yourself as more than a number or a desperate premed.

How would you recommend presenting this image to medical schools?

@Mr.Smile12 Any suggestions on how to network with schools during COVID-19. Most schools are not having open houses and most of their staff are working remotely. How do you suggest that I reach out to medical schools?

@Mr.Smile12 Any suggestions on how to network with schools during COVID-19. Most schools are not having open houses and most of their staff are working remotely. How do you suggest that I reach out to medical schools?
Current students? A few weeks ago AMSA and SNMA had a joint virtual conference, and I am certain virtual open houses are being scheduled (granted, probably as second-look weekends for retaining committed students). Check out SDN and anyone posting from schools that interest you. Don't use the "working remotely" excuse to prevent you from emailing your inquiries.

Just curious what my chances are of getting an interview from any school on my school list. Applying this upcoming cycle. Mainly aiming for DO's because of GPA.

Half Colombian/half white

cGPA: 3.53
sGPA: 3.43

very solid upward trend starting from sophomore year

MCAT takes:

1st take in august of 2019: 502 (129/123/126/124)

2nd take on 3/14: 510 (127/126/130/127)

Clinical volunteering:
200 hours of passing out hot drinks and snacks to patients in clinical lobbies at my local hospital. Been doing this weekly for 3 years.

Non-clinical volunteering:
100 hours at my local food bank starting from January of this year (ongoing).

Shadowing:
50 hours total (25 with a cardiologist and 25 with a vascular surgeon)

Research:
520 hours of research in a clinical lab focused on substance abused participants (no publications or presentations).

Employment:
3000 hours I guess?
Been working in the restaurant industry since highschool, full time in the summer and part time on the weekends during the semester. Needed to do this to pay my portion of my tuition. Still in the industry to this day. This consisted of serving and a summer of bartending.

School list:
All TX medical schools because I am a TX resident (Not including Baylor because I don't want to fill out amcas for one school, plus very big reach).
TCOM
Sam Houston
University of Houston
Mcgovern
UT southwestern
Paul L. Foster
Texas A&M
TTUHSC
UT Long School of Medicine
UT Dell Medical School
UTMBSM
UT Rio Grande

DO out of state schools (limited to only these schools due to not having a doctor LOR):
LECOM
ROWAN
UNECOM
PCOM
OU-HCOM
NYITCOM
MSUCOM

If y'all have any advice on how to improve my chances of getting accepted that would be greatly appreciated!

I think you should still fill out AMCAS for TCU-UNTHSC... I don’t see that anyone mentioned it here.

Add UIWSOM in San Antonio to your list - no DO LOR requirement & was an amazing school to be so new.
I got into several MDs/DOs IS & OOS (Texas resident) with a 499 MCAT & 3.7 GPA (& not much stellar extracurriculars). Apply broadly & be flexible - but you can definitely get in!