MD 3.53 cGPA, 3.39 sGPA, 508MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jobs_handler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
26 years old, white, male
Residence: Oregon

School:
cGPA: 3.53
sGPA: 3.39
BS biochemistry with departmental honors

MCAT:
(129/125/127/127)

Research:
2 yrs volunteer organic synthesis
5 months volunteer pharmacokinetics
2 yrs full time employment Melanoma redox chemistry at Oregon Health Sciences University

Volunteer:
75 hrs Search and Rescue

Shadowing:
25 hrs, Radiation oncology

Applicable Clinical employment:
Joint tumor boards/Melanoma boards microscopy support, Dermatology

School List
OHSU
U of A
Texas Rio Grande
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Wake Forest
Virginia Tech
California Northstate
Drexel
Creghton
Medical College of Wisconsin

I know my Gpa is weak and my volunteer/clinical EC's are weak.
Is it worth applying this cycle, or should I wait for next cycle and improve clinical EC's?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you aware that Northstate does not allow its students access to federally insured loans or payback mechanisms?
MCW is ok, U of WI would not be a good choice, though.

Thanks for the tip about Northsate, definitely financial suicide. I will remove it from the list.
Also updated to clarify MCW.

Thanks for the response!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You need more shadowing and clinical volunteering hours. Also additional science courses to raise your sGPA will improve your chances. With your current stats the GPA-MCAT grid shows your chances for a MD acceptance are ~48% so you should apply to DO schools also.

You need more shadowing and clinical volunteering hours. Also additional science courses to raise your sGPA will improve your chances. With your current stats the GPA-MCAT grid shows your chances for a MD acceptance are ~48% so you should apply to DO schools also.

OK thanks, I assume that 48% is also if I don't have weak extracurriculars. Do you think it is worth spending a year doing a post-bacc to boost my GPA and volunteering/shadowing all year? Financially, it will be a risk for me. If I took a full year of science classes and got straight A's it would still only boost my cGPA to 3.59 and my sGPA to 3.50. That presumes I can get all A's.

OK thanks, I assume that 48% is also if I don't have weak extracurriculars. Do you think it is worth spending a year doing a post-bacc to boost my GPA and volunteering/shadowing all year? Financially, it will be a risk for me.
If you cannot afford another year of classes then apply to DO schools also. You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to at least 10 and you should receive several interviews. For MD you could add schools such as:
GW
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan

If you cannot afford another year of classes then apply to DO schools also. You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to at least 10 and you should receive several interviews. For MD you could add schools such as:
GW
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan

OK thank you! I really appreciate the advice!

I can't recommend applying now. You have zero patient contact experience. That will be enough for autorejects anywhere.

26 years old, white, male
Residence: Oregon

School:
cGPA: 3.53
sGPA: 3.39
BS biochemistry with departmental honors

MCAT:
(129/125/127/127)

Research:
2 yrs volunteer organic synthesis
5 months volunteer pharmacokinetics
2 yrs full time employment Melanoma redox chemistry at Oregon Health Sciences University

Volunteer:
75 hrs Search and Rescue

Shadowing:
25 hrs, Radiation oncology

Applicable Clinical employment:
Joint tumor boards/Melanoma boards microscopy support, Dermatology

School List
OHSU
U of A
Texas Rio Grande
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Wake Forest
Virginia Tech
California Northstate
Drexel
Creghton
Medical College of Wisconsin

I know my Gpa is weak and my volunteer/clinical EC's are weak.
Is it worth applying this cycle, or should I wait for next cycle and improve clinical EC's?