3.54 GPA, 3.377 sGPA, no MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

doctorK2.0

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
-year:junior at UCLA
-major: in psychobiology with a minor in society and genetics.
-resident: Florida
-race: hispanic
- overall GPA 3. 54 and a 3.377 science GPA
-I anticipate raising my GPA to at least a 3.6 overall by graduation, but my goal is a 3.7.

I have not taken the MCAT yet, so I know this may be hard to predict given my unfinished coursework and lack of MCAT-- but it's finals week and I'm freaking out.

EC:
-200 hours shadowing a cardiologist in Miami
-30 hours shadowing a neurosurgeon in the OR and office
-1 semester doing psych research on PTSD
-(1+ year internship in progress) doing research at a behavioral health facility with my two psych professors
-so far I am on one poster(not 1st author)
-I will likely be published and on 3-4 more posters this year (non 1st author)
-and at least 1 poster where I am the 1st author
-leadership position in my international medical volunteer group
-public health and newsletter assistant chair
-120+ hours volunteering in medical clinics in central america where I diagnosed, treated, and prescribed patients under the watch of certified medical doctors
-another trip planned in a few months

honor societies and awards:
-graduated member of PEERS, a UCLA science honor society
-member of the alpha lambda delta and phi eta sigma honor societies
-recipient of the florida alumni scholarship

hobbies/skills:
-I am a member of a panhellenic sorority
-fluent spanish
-elementary french


LOR:
-none YET
-planned: 2 from my psychology professors that I work for, 1 from the cardiologist i interned for
-hopefully: 1 from the neurosurgeon, 1 from a very prestigious professor I am taking a class with next quarter.

1-------->WHAT ARE MY CHANCES: I want to go to UCLA very badly! I would love going to cambridge as well but it is a reach. UofM is a target school I guess.
2-------->WHAT CAN I DO TO RAISE MY CHANCES: I will have a significantly higher GPA by graduation, I know I need a strong MCAT in the 34 range, and I;m hoping to work in a "wet" lab next school year--preferably in a neuro/genetics lab

THANK YOU
 
Last edited: