3.55 science and cum - CUSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slopes23

Parlors & Poop Shoots
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cum: 3.55
Science: 3.56
MCAT: 29, retaking in jan. target is 33

Shadowing: 100 hrs - 3 doctors 1 @ 65 hrs, and 2 @ 15-20 ea

Volunteer: 400 hrs - includes 240 hrs of hospital (ED and ICU), 60 hrs of medical mission (Costa Rica and Nicaragua), 50 hours of habitat for humanity, and 50 hours in the Civil Air Patrol

Research: 2 years worth (~1200 hrs) at a very well known lab with a poster presented at a national minority conference - amazing letter of rec from my PI (have known the PI personally for 6 years to that point)

Leadership: Biology Peer Advisor for 1 1/2 yrs, Pre-Health Peer Mentor for 1 1/2 yrs.

EC: Instrument Rated Private Pilot with 150 hrs flight time, enjoy all outdoor activities (hiking, camping, fishing, skiing, tennis, golf, etc)

Employment: Physician Scribe for a private practice will be ~7 mo when I submit AMCAS in June

Rec Letters: 7 letters of rec, including a committee letter (1 committee & 2 science, 1 non-science, 1 physician, 1 my PI, 1 employer)

Honors: Dean's List and Provost's List

Top Choice SOM: University of Colorado School of Medicine applying as ISS

Other: URM - Puerto Rican - Native Fluent in Spanish

Notes: I am in my 1st gap year, plan on applying day 1 AMCAS opens in June

So what are my chances?

Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Last edited:

I replied because I love this reference! I am also ISS applying to CU this cycle. I am a late applicant so I will probably be reapplying next year--we might be classmates! CU is notoriously difficult to get in to. The average GPA for matriculants last year was about 3.7 with an MCAT of 32 so the higher your retake, the better! Your ECs sound great and your URM status will probably help. However, I would apply broadly. Your GPA is on the lower side of MD matriculants even if you factor in a higher MCAT. MD applications feel like a game of chance to me so cast a wide net.