3.58 cGPA/3.5 sGPA - 512 MCAT - Military Exp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theProudMoth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm pretty new to this forum and was suggested by a colleague of mine who applied to med school last cycle and got in. A little bit about my history. I started undergrad the year of 2010 and finished with a B.S. in Physiology and a minor in Biochem. I went through a couple of rough patches my freshman year where the first semester I received a 2.67 GPA with a D in my Pre-Calc, C in Gen Chem 1 and the second semester a C in gen chem but ended that semester with a 3.21 GPA which evens out to around a 2.93 my first year in college. From that moment, I put myself in gear and retook the Chemistry and Pre-Calc classes and got a B in Pre-Calc and A's in the others. The next few years, I had a strong upward trend since then (Only a couple of B's in some pre-reqs). After graduating, I decided to enlist into the Navy as a corpsman in order to figure out if the medical life was for me. And here I am. Figuring out this whole medical stuff. I just took my MCAT and am hoping to apply for next cycle. My plans are to go to USUHS or go on HPSP. As of right now, I need recommendations on my school list whether it be M.D./D.O.

Stats and ECs:
cGPA: 3.58
sGPA: 3.5
MCAT: 510

I currently live in Maryland but completed my B.S./Minor at Baylor.

Other than the 4 years of experience as a Corpsman

I have racked up a ton of volunteer/paid clinical hours during my undergrad.
These include:
1000+ volunteer EMS
500+ paid EMS
I used to work/volunteer for an EMS agency where I held multiple leadership positions, ended up doing a ton of admin work while doing shift work on the side.
200+ hours volunteering for multiple Mexico club clinics
300+ Volunteering at family's retirement home business
200+ hours of research

LOR:
I still have LORs from my former Medical Directors (3 LORs M.D.)
2 D.O.
1 M.D. Trauma Surgeon
(Still keep in touch with most of them)

Non-Clinical
200+ hours volunteering for Non-Clinical events for a club I was involved in
300+ hours with Big Brothers/Big Sisters

Really just looking for advice for a school list because med school was never an option for me until my 3rd year in the Navy. I always thought I was going into Fire/EMS so i haven't really done enough research about the whole application process but am doing that as we speak. Any type of help/advice works!

Members don't see this ad.