3.58 cGPA 3.55 sGPA 35S MCAT Rate School list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjolso12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a MA resident, looking to apply this cycle as a graduating senior. I'm a Biology major from a top 25 liberal arts schools. Sorry for the long post. This is probably the first and last time I'll do one of these.

My MCAT is a little unbalanced. 35S (13PS 8VR 14BS). 3.58 cGPA (3.3 after freshman year but upward trend with 3.93 for both of my senior semesters). 3.55 sGPA. I have received A's in all of my upper level (300) biology courses (Biochemistry I and II, Toxicology, Animal Physiology) and B+/A- in most of my prereqs. Only 1 B- on my transcript in gen bio 2, nothing below that. According to my pre-med committee, my school is known for grade deflation and so they recommend looking at schools with a little higher GPA in mind.

EC's
Co-founded and co-chair of my school's First Responder's club. Wrote up constitution, met with campus deans, risk manager, and chief and lieutenant of campus Public Safety to discuss scope of practice and the organization's role. We offer a first responder's certification class and opportunity to do ride time with a local ambulance company to our club members. We cover our campus' weekly dances and annual spring carnival and concert. Club is working towards one day covering all on-campus emergencies. Our Public Safety serves as our supervisor and sponsoring agency. All of our work is volunteer
Certified EMT-B. Have logged 1250 hours working on both BLS and ALS ambulances doing 911 and some medical transport. I work full-time during the summer and part time during school.

Volunteer EMT-B for a town in MA. (75 hours)

Academic Internship- shadowed an orthopedic surgeon 8 hours per week (4 OR and 4 office) (about 80 hours total)

Volunteer emergency department liaison-take care of and talk to patients, grab pillows, blankets, and food or drinks for them, talk to family members and accommodate their needs as well (4 hours per week, 36 hours total so far but ongoing)

Volunteered at a local underprivileged elementary school through school's volunteer program. Tutored after-school students and engaged in sports/activities with them after homework (3 hours per week for two semesters)

Plenty of other work experience. Worked as a waiter for four years from junior year in high school to end of sophomore year in college at Chili's Bar and Grille. Worked my last two summers as a laborer doing stone masonry work in addition to my EMT job. Worked as a research lab animal caretaker all throughout college.

Played intramural sports (basketball, football, soccer) throughout college and also work out for about one to two hours, 4-5 times per week. Staying in shape and keeping a well balanced schedule during school is important to me and I consider it a big commitment.

For my gap year I have been applying to research jobs since that it was one thing my application lacks. I am going to continue my job as an EMT. I plan on continuing to volunteer. I am currently scheduled to participate in Habitat for Humanity projects in Providence, RI and I am continuing to volunteer in the emergency department. I am trying to join back on the volunteer EMT service. The commitment is one twelve hour shift per week (generally an overnight).

School list

UPenn
Mount Sinai
Columbia
NYU
Pittsburgh
Northwestern
Mayo
Case Western
Einstein
Boston U
Dartmouth
UMass
Rochester
Tufts
UVM
Rush
Georgetown
George Washington
Temple
NYMC
Drexel
Jefferson
Creighton
Saint Louis
Albany
Loyola
Hofstra

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a MA resident, looking to apply this cycle as a graduating senior. I'm a Biology major from a top 25 liberal arts schools. Sorry for the long post. This is probably the first and last time I'll do one of these.

My MCAT is a little unbalanced. 35S (13PS 8VR 14BS). 3.58 cGPA (3.3 after freshman year but upward trend with 3.93 for both of my senior semesters). 3.55 sGPA. I have received A's in all of my upper level (300) biology courses (Biochemistry I and II, Toxicology, Animal Physiology) and B+/A- in most of my prereqs. Only 1 B- on my transcript in gen bio 2, nothing below that. According to my pre-med committee, my school is known for grade deflation and so they recommend looking at schools with a little higher GPA in mind.

EC's
Co-founded and co-chair of my school's First Responder's club. Wrote up constitution, met with campus deans, risk manager, and chief and lieutenant of campus Public Safety to discuss scope of practice and the organization's role. We offer a first responder's certification class and opportunity to do ride time with a local ambulance company to our club members. We cover our campus' weekly dances and annual spring carnival and concert. Club is working towards one day covering all on-campus emergencies. Our Public Safety serves as our supervisor and sponsoring agency. All of our work is volunteer
Certified EMT-B. Have logged 1250 hours working on both BLS and ALS ambulances doing 911 and some medical transport. I work full-time during the summer and part time during school.

Volunteer EMT-B for a town in MA. (75 hours)

Academic Internship- shadowed an orthopedic surgeon 8 hours per week (4 OR and 4 office) (about 80 hours total)

Volunteer emergency department liaison-take care of and talk to patients, grab pillows, blankets, and food or drinks for them, talk to family members and accommodate their needs as well (4 hours per week, 36 hours total so far but ongoing)

Volunteered at a local underprivileged elementary school through school's volunteer program. Tutored after-school students and engaged in sports/activities with them after homework (3 hours per week for two semesters)

Plenty of other work experience. Worked as a waiter for four years from junior year in high school to end of sophomore year in college at Chili's Bar and Grille. Worked my last two summers as a laborer doing stone masonry work in addition to my EMT job. Worked as a research lab animal caretaker all throughout college.

Played intramural sports (basketball, football, soccer) throughout college and also work out for about one to two hours, 4-5 times per week. Staying in shape and keeping a well balanced schedule during school is important to me and I consider it a big commitment.

For my gap year I have been applying to research jobs since that it was one thing my application lacks. I am going to continue my job as an EMT. I plan on continuing to volunteer. I am currently scheduled to participate in Habitat for Humanity projects in Providence, RI and I am continuing to volunteer in the emergency department. I am trying to join back on the volunteer EMT service. The commitment is one twelve hour shift per week (generally an overnight).

School list

UPenn
Mount Sinai
Columbia
NYU
Pittsburgh
Northwestern
Mayo
Case Western
Einstein
Boston U
Dartmouth
UMass
Rochester
Tufts
UVM
Rush
Georgetown
George Washington
Temple
NYMC
Drexel
Jefferson
Creighton
Saint Louis
Albany
Loyola
Hofstra

School list contains a lot of reaches for your GPA. I hope you realize this. Grade deflation is not universally known nor universally respected.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk