3.59 Gpa, 3.45 Bcpm

Started by string1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

string1

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Three Questions

1) My GPA is on the lower side (3.59) and my odds of getting in are iffy as it is for a MD program but my BCPM is what worries me. It's below a 3.5 (3.45), is that even competitive enough?

2) Does Human Anatomy classify as health sciences or biology? My schools lists it under kinesiology.

3) Do you think it would be wise to take microbiology before I apply? Right now I work for an awesome company that will pay for me to take ANY class I want. I plan on taking it anyways next fall because I hear it's helpful in med school but should I do it now so it can bump up my BCPM before I apply?


BTW, I'm confident in my ability to get an A in microbiology and it will only move my BCPM to a 3.48 and overall to a 3.60. To me this is a small change but I graduated 3 years ago (5 by the time I enroll in Med School) and someone told me it could help to show some recent science coursework.
 
do you have MCAT scores yet?

I don't think your GPA is something that good MCATs wont help
 
Three Questions

1) My GPA is on the lower side (3.59) and my odds of getting in are iffy as it is for a MD program but my BCPM is what worries me. It's below a 3.5 (3.45), is that even competitive enough?

2) Does Human Anatomy classify as health sciences or biology? My schools lists it under kinesiology.

3) Do you think it would be wise to take microbiology before I apply? Right now I work for an awesome company that will pay for me to take ANY class I want. I plan on taking it anyways next fall because I hear it's helpful in med school but should I do it now so it can bump up my BCPM before I apply?


BTW, I'm confident in my ability to get an A in microbiology and it will only move my BCPM to a 3.48 and overall to a 3.60. To me this is a small change but I graduated 3 years ago (5 by the time I enroll in Med School) and someone told me it could help to show some recent science coursework.

You are in pretty much the same situation I was last year. 3 years out of graduating, I had a 3.55 GPA and a 3.49 Science GPA. I put Human Anatomy under Biology (it is at my school). My MCAT was 30 and I got into 5 DO schools and one MD. I had 3 MD interviews. Do better than I did on your MCAT and I don't think you will have a problem.