MD 3.5cum, 3.3science.. MD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minaboa

Reaction score
I got 2 D's in my entire college career, I was young and didn't know what I was doing. I got ONE C which I retook at another university for an A. Everything else is A's and B's, majority A's. Most of the science courses are A's (and I replaced the 2 D's with A's). Needless to say, the math of it all really knocks down my GPA. It's frustrating as it's clearly not a representation of who I am/what I am capable of. Still doesn't make sense to me we have to report classes we retook for better grades if it was only once. OY! But I digress... I've had some people tell me to largely skip MD schools and only go for DO. DO is just fine, but I've always wanted MD (for my own personal reasons, pls lets not make this political. That's not my question here). I know I will get varying answers, but nonetheless would appreciate some respectful thoughts/feedback. To help in your answers: I have a good resume- including research, publications, volunteering, shadowing, lots of clinical experience. My activities/experience clearly shows my commitment and understanding of the field. And no, I have not taken my MCAT yet. That's another factor - I plan on demolishing the MCAT (in the good way). So, lets pretend we have that scenario accompanied with the above. Let me know your thoughts, thank you. Kind and helpful answers only please, no shaming here.

p.s. of course I will still apply to MD schools as well and do research on where I should apply...

Members don't see this ad.

No one can really help you w/o a MCAT.
They'd also need your state of residence and if you're ORM or URM?

"no, I have not taken my MCAT yet. That's another factor - I plan on demolishing the MCAT (in the good way). So, lets pretend we have that scenario accompanied with the above. Let me know your thoughts, thank you. Kind and helpful answers only please, no shaming here.".

I'm pretty sure no one plans on bombing the MCAT, yet all the time people get scores they're unsatisfied with. If you really want MD, and assuming you're ORM you essentially have to kill the MCAT. If I had to guess somewhere around a 515+ for a decent chance.

Make sure your FLs are within the range you want to score on the MCAT before sitting for it! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user