MD 3.6/3.6 514 MCAT 4.0 Post-Bac (30 credits) Re-applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nooooooot

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a 27 year old New York resident looking to try the application cycle once more. Two years ago, I applied with a 3.4 GPA+sGPA and was ultimately waitlisted at 3 schools and rejected from a 4th post-interview - two state schools and two low ranked MDs. Upon receiving feedback from one of these schools, I determined that my lack of success was a result of my GPA and my clinical experience (~100 hours).

Since then I have completed a DIY post-bacc consisting of 30 credits and have obtained a 4.0 GPA in these classes. I also quit my tech job where I made a high 5-figure salary to work as an EMT. The new job has been fantastic as a whole and has given me lots of experiences to talk about. I am preparing to construct my new list for the coming cycle and am looking for input from the SDN community especially @Goro and @Faha.

My application:
3.6 GPA, 3.6 sGPA (raised from 3.4 GPA and 3.4 sGPA), 4.0 post-bacc over previous 30 credits
514 MCAT
Graduate of a top 5 university
Asian American

2000+ hours of work as an EMT.
100+ hours of work as a youth mentor for a well known national organization.

350 hours of work at a local nonprofit organization focused on youth development. (50 hour increase)
120 hours of shadowing (20 hour increase)
400 hours of research from my undergraduate years.
Plenty of leadership experiences that involve community outreach and the arts.
I was a TA for a high school summer program.

Here is my current list, italicized are schools where I am a reapplicant.
All SUNY schools (Upstate, Downstate, SBU, Buffalo)
Philly triplets
Wayne State
Dartmouth
Wake Forest
Quinnipiac
Tulane
EVMS
NYMC
VCU
Vermont
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Albany
WMed
Hofstra
Case Western

Creighton
MCW
Loyola
USF
Saint Louis
Cincinnati
Miami
Geisinger
Georgetown
BU
Seton Hall
Kaiser

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you have a good app - the fact that you got 4 interviews last time you applied is proof of that. You've taken the correct steps to improve your app in the areas you were lacking.

Make sure you apply to the school you were waitlisted at - they usually really liked those applicants and it was just a matter of space. Make sure to apply as early as possible.

I would also say to look into doing mock/practice interviews at your undergrad pre-professional advising. You might have not interviewed well enough which resulted in the 3 wait-list and 1 flat out rejection.

I would add UCF to your list. I know that they aim to accept about 25% of their class from out-of-state applicants and they really value those that have persevered and proven themselves - which you clearly have.

It would be nice to hear from @Goro and @Faha

I wish you the best in your application cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You could add these schools:
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
George Washington

Reactions: 1 user
App seems good. Apply broadly like you are and add a reach school or 2 for kicks, they might like your story.