MD & DO 3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 30 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TspCapacity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lurked for a long time, just recently started posting since I'm planning on applying in the upcoming cycle. Help me with my school list too?

~3.6 cGPA, ~3.5 sGPA, upward trend (physics was my GPA killer and I took it as a freshman/sophomore. terrible idea)
MCAT: 30 (8 PS, 10 BS, 12 VR); debating a retake, but may just go through with the cycle first to see how I fare
Microbiology major
Wisconsin resident
(SE) Asian, so technically not URM but I bet I could manage to swing it in some places given my ethnicity
Taking a gap year during the upcoming cycle; plans tbd but hopefully an Americorps position with a local clinic helping with outreach and intervention

Extracurriculars:
  • ~7 years teaching at my local church
  • 4 years active involvement in scholarship program, with leadership positions during 3 of those 4 years
  • 2.5 years active involvement in student org that involves science education outreach to area schools
  • 2.5 years active involvement in student org for my major, leadership position during 2 of those years
  • 2.5 years active involvement in student org that involves reaching out to pre-health students of color, leadership position during 1 of those years
  • ~2 years paid employment tutoring low income students and students of color in area schools
  • helped plan a conference revolving around health disparities (the conference is annual, and I helped for two of those conferences, with being the head of the planning committee for one of those years)
  • 1 year undergraduate public health research
  • 1 semester interning at local DHS
  • 1 week summer program exploring healthcare delivery and health disparities in WI
  • ~100 hours clinical volunteering in hospice facility
  • ~40-50 hours shadowing various physicians (family med, neurology, pathology)
  • scattered non-clinical volunteering, as most of my time was spent with my job and student orgs, but it's there
I want to go to a school that has a strong primary care/public health focus. Would also like schools in diverse areas and/or near mid-sized to large cities. MD or DO is fine. Overall, at the end of the day, medical school is medical school. Current list includes:
  • University of Wisconsin
  • MCW
  • Georgetown
  • George Washington
  • EVMS
  • Buffalo
  • Albany
  • Creighton
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • Loyola
  • UCF
  • Drexel (and/or Jefferson and/or Temple; still looking into these schools...)
  • Boston University (and/or Tufts; again, still looking at these guys)
  • Rochester (reach because stats but I really like their medical education track; take it off for good?)
  • UC Davis (super reach because OOS but I really like their focus on the underserved; take it off for good?)
  • PCOM
  • CCOM
  • DMUCOM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How about SLU? With regard to UCD: very low yield; 1554 OOS applicants, 21 interviews, 3 matriculates.

Overall, I give you credit for a thoughtful list.

Mmm, I hadn't thought of SLU. Will look into it further. From a brief glance at MSAR, looks pretty good though. Thanks for the addition!

UCD odds are indeed very low, but I sure can try my darndest to be one of those 21 interviewees, if not one of the 3 matriculates. XD My application probably would be a donation in the end, but I would've tried.

And thank you. I did a lot of poring through this subforum and sifting through the current MSAR. We'll see if/how my list changes as time goes on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mmm, I hadn't thought of SLU. Will look into it further. From a brief glance at MSAR, looks pretty good though. Thanks for the addition!

UCD odds are indeed very low, but I sure can try my darndest to be one of those 21 interviewees, if not one of the 3 matriculates. XD My application probably would be a donation in the end, but I would've tried.

And thank you. I did a lot of pouring through this subforum and sifting through the current MSAR. We'll see if/how my list changes as time goes on.
Keep all your PA schools.

There's nothing wrong with Tufts!

Alright, sounds good. Hopefully I can update this list in the next few days and ask for more input. Thanks so much for the help so far.

Last edited:
I've forgotten to mention that I need schools that, if they require calculus or any English, are either AP credit friendly or more flexible with their requirements (such as accepting any writing intensive course for an English requirement). I dont think it necessary to take a course at a community college or online just to apply somewhere where there are perfectly good schools that will either accept my AP credits or be willing to substitute a semester of their English requirement with any of my writing/reading-intensive humanities courses, therefore I will be editing my list. I think the only schools that eliminates are SLU and (maybe?) Drexel.

Last edited: