3.6 cGPA / 33O... but VR=8

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMTDoc

ALOC
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I retake the MCAT?? I would like to be a competitive applicant for CA schools.

CALIFORNIA RESIDENT
Major= Biomedical Engineering
cGPA= just shy of 3.6
sGPA= 3.7
MCAT= VR8 / PS12 / BS13

ECs:
1500+ Clinical Hours (Worked as an EMT and ER Scribe all through college to support myself)
1 Year research (pending peer review publication wont be out by app cycle)
1 Year club president (Engineering Volunteer)
1 Year volunteer program director
3 Month hospital internship in South America
(a few more things, but what is listed above are the main points)

I am happy with my overall MCAT score, but there are not very many medical schools (especially CA) that have a bottom 10th percentile below 9 for verbal.
I have already reserved a seat for April 5th hoping that I could bring my verbal up even if it is only by 1 point.

Should I retake my MCAT or could I potentially break the mold and be accepted to a CA school with a verbal of 8?

Members don't see this ad.

I hope you're a competitive applicant, because I'm in a similar situation as you, without all the EC's.

Major: Biomed Engineering (junior)
GPA ~ 3.7
MCAT: 14PS/9VR/15BS = 38O :cool:
ECs:
not too many yet
volunteered for 40 hours, planned for at least 40 more before applying
going to become emt-b by june
1.5 yrs of research by june
Hopeful about a surgery internship for the summer

What do u think my chances are for a CA school?

Edit: I think you're fine. As long as VR>7, you'll be okay. (Maybe not at the very top end schools, but u should get in somewhere).
I don't think you would need to retake, but you can if you're confident enough to get a good score.

Last edited:
Total = 33 GPA = 3.6
Is it worth retaking?

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, you are fine. Just apply broadly.

There are going to be schools that will definitely hate on that 8 in VR. But there will be plenty of schools that will also see 33 3.7sGPA and throw an interview invite at you. Apply broadly and it will work out.