3.6 GPA, 3.72 sciGPA - 39Q MCAT (LOTS OF SCHOOLS!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThatDude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got a 39Q on the May 1st exam. (13PS, 12VR, 14BS) only took the MCAT once if that matters.

I went to a community college and didn't know I was pre-med, so my GPA kinda sucked (3.5). I didn't take any premed curriculum at the jc though.

I transferred to UCLA and became premed. My cumulative UCLA GPA was 3.69 (cum laude), science GPA is around 3.72.

I have 250+ (less than 1 yr) hours of research, a poster presentation. 250+ hours of clinical volunteering/shadowing (primary care, cosmetic surgery, psychiatry). 200 hours of non-clinical volunteering at an elderly home. Undergraduate assistant for lab courses at UCLA. I coach youth basketball. 5 good letters of rec.

I am Afghan American so I think I have a really good story and my personal statement will be great. Let me know what my chances are to get into upper tier.

I am a California Resident. Applying to all UCs, 32 schools overall.

The main question: How many interviews do you think I can get if I apply to all these schools??

Low-Average Chance
1) Harvard Medical School
2) University of California, San Francisco
3) University of Pennsylvania
4) Johns Hopkins University
5) Columbia University of Physicians and Surgeons
6) Stanford University
7) Washington University in St. Louis
8) Yale University
9) David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
10) University of California, San Diego
11) Duke University
12) Weill Medical College of Cornell University
13) New York University
14) Mount Sinai (New York City)
15) Emory University (Atlanta)
16) Northwestern University
17) University of Chicago—Pritzker
18) Keck School of Medicine at USC
19) Case Western Reserve University
20) Brown University
21) Baylor College of Medicine
22) Mayo Medical School -

Good-Great Chance
1) Tufts University (Boston)
2) University of Miami
3) Albert Einstein (Bronx, NY)
4) University of California, Irvine
5) University of California, Davis
6) Georgetown University (DC)
7) Boston University
8) University of Rochester
9) George Washington University
10) Jefferson University

Members don't see this ad.

Got a 39Q on the May 1st exam. (13PS, 12VR, 14BS) only took the MCAT once if that matters.

I went to a community college and didn't know I was pre-med, so my GPA kinda sucked (3.5). I didn't take any premed curriculum at the jc though.

I transferred to UCLA and became premed. My cumulative UCLA GPA was 3.69 (cum laude), science GPA is around 3.72.

I have 250+ (less than 1 yr) hours of research, a poster presentation. 250+ hours of clinical volunteering/shadowing (primary care, cosmetic surgery, psychiatry). 200 hours of non-clinical volunteering at an elderly home. Undergraduate assistant for lab courses at UCLA. I coach youth basketball. 5 good letters of rec.

I am Afghan American so I think I have a really good story and my personal statement will be great. Let me know what my chances are to get into upper tier.

The main question: How many interviews do you think I can get if I apply to all these schools??

Low-Average Chance
6) Stanford University
8) Yale University
11) Duke University
13) New York University
20) Brown University

Good-Great Chance
2) University of Miami
7) Boston University
10) Jefferson University

I think your list is way, way too top heavy. Yes, your MCAT is fantastic and your GPA is average to above average, but you have less than a year of research. That's not going to fly well at the research heavy hitters, which comprises a huge portion of your list. Broaden your list to include more less selective schools.

Also keep in mind that med school admissions can be somewhat unpredictable. Don't automatically assume that you have a great chance at any school (especially the UC's) just based on stats alone. For example, I got rejected flat out by Albany, Tufts, Boston, and Rochester, but was interviewed at UCLA. :p

Oh and your GPA calculation by AMCAS is going to include all the classes you took at community college. So your GPA is going to be a bit lower than what you have listed in your thread title.

I think your list is way, way too top heavy. Yes, your MCAT is fantastic and your GPA is average to above average, but you have less than a year of research. That's not going to fly well at the research heavy hitters, which comprises a huge portion of your list. Broaden your list to include more less selective schools.

Also keep in mind that med school admissions can be somewhat unpredictable. Don't automatically assume that you have a great chance at any school (especially the UC's) just based on stats alone. For example, I got rejected flat out by Albany, Tufts, Boston, and Rochester, but was interviewed at UCLA. :p

Oh and your GPA calculation by AMCAS is going to include all the classes you took at community college. So your GPA is going to be a bit lower than what you have listed in your thread title.

My UCLA GPA is 3.69, I already averaged the JC and UCLA GPAs...what schools do you suggest that I add, and which do you suggest that I take out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Low-Average Chance
6) Stanford University
8) Yale University
11) Duke University
13) New York University
20) Brown University

Good-Great Chance
2) University of Miami
7) Boston University
10) Jefferson University

The ones that are bolded are all top 20 research institutions. You don't necessarily have to get rid of them, if you have the funds to apply to all of them. But if you're on a budget, I would try to narrow those down depending on whatever criteria matters most to you -- location, curriculum, etc. I would keep the ones in CA though.

It's also been thrown around on SDN here that Brown accepts very few applicants through AMCAS? I'm not well informed about the different programs that might funnel into the MD program at Brown, but might be something to look into as it would surely affect your chances there.

Other schools you might consider: OSU, Cincinnati, Wake, Wisconsin, UVa, Miami, OHSU.

Also you grouped shadowing & clinical volunteer hours together. They're actually considered separately. Hopefully you have at least around 150 hours of just volunteering. Also, I see no leadership activities? (Peer leadership is generally preferred)

Low-Average Chance
6) Stanford University
8) Yale University
11) Duke University
13) New York University
20) Brown University

Good-Great Chance
2) University of Miami
7) Boston University
10) Jefferson University

I have similar stats to you (3.65, 39) but with more research, less volunteering, and a higher ranked undergrad, and got 14 interviews out of 23 schools applied to on a pretty top heavy list ( 11 top 20, 11 20-40, 1 unranked).

I think your list is just fine, and you'll probably get ~15 interviews, though of course there is no such thing as certainty, and I'm not sure how much coming from a top5 undergrad affected things.

I have similar stats to you (3.65, 39) but with more research, less volunteering, and a higher ranked undergrad, and got 14 interviews out of 23 schools applied to on a pretty top heavy list ( 11 top 20, 11 20-40, 1 unranked).

I think your list is just fine, and you'll probably get ~15 interviews, though of course there is no such thing as certainty, and I'm not sure how much coming from a top5 undergrad affected things.

I think the OP is concerned with acceptances to a top 20 school as shown by his school list. It may also help if you say how many acceptances you received to those 11 schools, since you have similar stats.

Well, isn't it true that the point of stats is to get you to the interview room? And then after that its all you right? If I can get 10 interviews out of the schools on my list, that would be wonderful.

Do you still have your 23 schools? Because I want to narrow my list and I would like to see where someone with similar stats applied.

And also, which schools did you get those interviews at?

Well, isn't it true that the point of stats is to get you to the interview room? And then after that its all you right? If I can get 10 interviews out of the schools on my list, that would be wonderful.

No. Stats alone do not get you interviews at these schools or pretty much any school for that matter. Some people will have fairly crappy stats, but if they have ridiculous stuff outside the classroom, they can get an interview. The majority of people they interview at these schools will probably have a few points less than you on the mcat but they will have higher gpas. So your outside the classroom stuff is what's gonna get you that interview.

Stats are not the only important criteria. I think the bolded is an important difference between your app and the OP's, especially when considering Top 20's.

The ones that are bolded are all top 20 research institutions. You don't necessarily have to get rid of them, if you have the funds to apply to all of them. But if you're on a budget, I would try to narrow those down depending on whatever criteria matters most to you -- location, curriculum, etc. I would keep the ones in CA though.

It's also been thrown around on SDN here that Brown accepts very few applicants through AMCAS? I'm not well informed about the different programs that might funnel into the MD program at Brown, but might be something to look into as it would surely affect your chances there.

Other schools you might consider: OSU, Cincinnati, Wake, Wisconsin, UVa, Miami, OHSU.

Also you grouped shadowing & clinical volunteer hours together. They're actually considered separately. Hopefully you have at least around 150 hours of just volunteering. Also, I see no leadership activities? (Peer leadership is generally preferred)

this is good advice. a 39 can get you in and fightin' for scholarship money at great, but not top-20 med schools like OSU, UVA, UW, etc...

Brown has several routes to MD, including standard admit (via AMCAS) which they have been steadily increasing as they reduce the number of BS/MD spots. But because there are relatively few spots you're right, it is very hard to get in...but if you have decent stats as the OP does and are interested in the school, I think on the whole it is worth applying. Brown screens heavily and is relatively selective about who they interview, so if you get an interview you have a good shot at getting in (unlike schools who interview a huge percentage of their total applicants). Since in the grand scheme the interviews are the most expensive part of the process, it makes sense to go ahead and apply to Brown if you actually are interested in the school.

For top 20 schools, it's what you do outside of the classroom that matters. Because of the caliber of applicants, good stats is almost a given.

4 school on your list, GW, Jefferson, Georgetown, and BU have absurd number of applicants. I got interviews at top 20's but none from those. GW is all about public health/policy, GT about helping the underserved (your 200 hrs at an elderly home isn't going to cut it), so neither would work in your case.

Find schools that fit you and your background.