3.6 gpa, 40 mcat &...well, not much else...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jordan_az

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Promise this is not a thread prognosticating "chances", but I simply would like to hear others people's opinions. If all you can put down on paper is a 3.6 cumulative, 3.9 science gpa & 40 points for the mcat, but the rest of your resume in areas like extracurriculars are pretty much blank or insubstantial, would you be worried that the round table folks who make the decisions will pretty much scoff at your application, along the lines of "Gee, that's it?" Hear that at most European schools, students are selected solely based on their academic record through a lottery system, with higher grades giving you more slips of paper to scratch your name on for the draw. In any case, anyone been accepted despite similar situation or know a friend who has been?

Members don't see this ad.

shoot, sorry, didn't realize my previous one actually got posted. thought it didn't get through, disregard if that annoys you. sorry

You have absolutely nothing that would validate your interest in medicine?

Members don't see this ad :)
When are you applying? You still have time to add to your resume. What's the worst that could happen? You get rejected, then you have a whole year to work on ECs. It's much harder to bring up a low GPA or get an outstanding MCAT (and yours is beautiful), then it is to get some volunteering or shadowing under your belt.

Do get some ECs. Two reasons: you know about how it'll help your app, but more importantly (and the reason it will help your app) it'll help you decide whether medicine is really right for *you* and the adcoms will know you've made that decision based on real info, not what your mommy wants for you.

As of now, I don't have anything in the way of showing to other people on paper my interest in medicine. Clutching very tightly, however, to the initial personal statement, as that at least is a venue to get through in written words somehow to the decision folks. Am wanting to apply this summer, MoosePilot, but am given to the feeling that trying to add EC's to resume at this point will actually seem much worse than just throwing myself to the sharks the way things stand now. Won't they be thinking, "Who the heck do you think you're trying to fool?!" Anyways, thanks for replying, that was why I started this thread - just to hear back some opinions while keeping my moaning to a mininum.

jordan_az said:
As of now, I don't have anything in the way of showing to other people on paper my interest in medicine. Clutching very tightly, however, to the initial personal statement, as that at least is a venue to get through in written words somehow to the decision folks. Am wanting to apply this summer, MoosePilot, but am given to the feeling that trying to add EC's to resume at this point will actually seem much worse than just throwing myself to the sharks the way things stand now. Won't they be thinking, "Who the heck do you think you're trying to fool?!" Anyways, thanks for replying, that was why I started this thread - just to hear back some opinions while keeping my moaning to a mininum.

Heck, no! Your time management is your own issue. Tell them you concentrated on GPA and MCAT up to this point, because your advisor told you those things were easy to let slip. Once you were sure you had a handle on those portions of your application, you looked for ways you could be sure medicine was right for you and you gained valuable experience doing "X". Dude, don't feel guilty because you did a good job of prioritizing. It's paid off for you. Now round out your app and enjoy your acceptances next year.

I agree. I think you'll feel better about your overall portfolio and you'll likely have a better selection of places. That year worth of work will allow for some real self-discovery time and I think will pay off in more years of happiness compared to you just jumping in now and getting into a school different than where you're at. Plus, you've got a whole semester. Do something quality and it won't be that bad. But try and make it a little unusual as it'll help you stand out a touch more.

The question that will be asked by the adcoms, either to you directly or during the initial evaluation of your application, will be "how does jordan_az know s/he wants to be a physician without any exposure to what it really means to be one?"

I'm in the same boat. I really like the European way of doing things. Maybe I'm just a loser, but it really baffles me how people can get a 3.8+ GPA with a solid 30+ even 35+ MCAT with tons of research and volunteering while not going crazy!

Academics is my top priority right now. Will it screw us (me and OP) because of this?

Aero047 said:
I'm in the same boat. I really like the European way of doing things. Maybe I'm just a loser, but it really baffles me how people can get a 3.8+ GPA with a solid 30+ even 35+ MCAT with tons of research and volunteering while not going crazy!

Academics is my top priority right now. Will it screw us (me and OP) because of this?

I believe it's because the system of admitting based purely on numbers has produced a lot of doctors that don't care about their patients. What US medical schools have done to combat that is admit well-rounded applicants who have shown a desire for medicine and a passion for humanity.

as long as you don't have a criminal record you can do anything!!! otherwise, plan on putting in some years until your next application round!

jordan_az said:
Promise this is not a thread prognosticating "chances", but I simply would like to hear others people's opinions. If all you can put down on paper is a 3.6 cumulative, 3.9 science gpa & 40 points for the mcat, but the rest of your resume in areas like extracurriculars are pretty much blank or insubstantial, would you be worried that the round table folks who make the decisions will pretty much scoff at your application, along the lines of "Gee, that's it?" Hear that at most European schools, students are selected solely based on their academic record through a lottery system, with higher grades giving you more slips of paper to scratch your name on for the draw. In any case, anyone been accepted despite similar situation or know a friend who has been?

Dude(tte): You're looking to be shot down like a fat duck in hunting season. Your grades and scores are excellent, but if I were you I'd spend a year or two rounding myself out like a wholesome breakfast. Then you'll be unstoppable!!

If you have the resources to do so, go ahead and apply. Otherwise, if it's a one time shot and never again, then "sharpen your ax",like Lincoln put it, for a couple years, and then give them all you've got.

Members don't see this ad :)
jordan_az said:

Your numbers easily qualify you for any school in the U.S. But not having any EC's may hurt you in the process, especially if you don't have health related experience just because you will get the question in interviews of "Why medicine." And your interviewer is going to look for an answer that shows some thought and is baed on some of your personal experiences. But looking at your numbers alone I'm pretty sure you could handle the workload and excel in medical school

If you have the money and don't mind about which medical school you go to then apply this cycle. Lacking EC's will probably shut you out of top schools though but I'm sure at least one school would grab at you.

If I was in your shoes though, I would just take this year and volunteer/ shadow and just get that otu of the way. It'll make writing your PS much easier since you have some concrete examples to work with.

Getting a good GPA/ great MCAT score is the toughest part of the application process and it would be a shame to apply with such great numbers and no EC's because you could just be shutting yourself out of some very reputable schools.

Start shadowing a doctor with the maximum hours you can possibly put into it. You need this not only for your app but also to ascertain if medicine is really for you. It's not for everyone no matter how long ago it wa syour dream. And there hasn't been any ECs you participated in???? Foind something you're interested in (not just for an app) and really throw yourself into it. Your numbers are great but adcoms want to see a whole person, one who can handle multiple aspects of life and who can contribute to their school, not just a brain. Good luck!

I've worked in an ICU for the past six months, volunteered there for months before that, and I still have had interviewers ask me, "But what do you really know about it?" I have some fairly good numbers too and was rejected by schools outright.

I know someone who had similar stats and got into a top med school without volunteering or doing anything else medically related for an EC. I wouldn't recommend it, but it is possible.

jordan_az said:
Promise this is not a thread prognosticating "chances", but I simply would like to hear others people's opinions. If all you can put down on paper is a 3.6 cumulative, 3.9 science gpa & 40 points for the mcat, but the rest of your resume in areas like extracurriculars are pretty much blank or insubstantial, would you be worried that the round table folks who make the decisions will pretty much scoff at your application, along the lines of "Gee, that's it?" Hear that at most European schools, students are selected solely based on their academic record through a lottery system, with higher grades giving you more slips of paper to scratch your name on for the draw. In any case, anyone been accepted despite similar situation or know a friend who has been?[/QUOTE

With those numbers you'll get in somewhere sometime, but I'd worry about the "is this how I want to spent my entire time on the planet" personal question. How do you know that medicine is for you if you don't have any experience with it?

Apply to WashU

I agree with what a lot of the others have said in that it can't hurt to do a little extra volunteer work. Especially if you already have the numbers, now you can focus on building up your resume. One activity that I participate in that interviewers loved hearing about was MDA summer camp. You volunteer for 6 days out of your summer in June helping children with muscular dystrophy at a summer camp. It's a great experience and something that doesn't require a lot of time, but takes a lot of heart. Look for volunteer experiences that show your compassion for other human beings and your willingness to unselfishly give of your time. Hope that helps.

Best of luck!

Perrin said:
Apply to WashU

haha, Wash you will take you with that MCAT, even if you killed someone.

jordan_az said:
Obviously, you will get into A medical school with those stats. Some schools will accept anyone with an abnormally high GPA just because of a statistics game they play with US news and its rankings. However, the EC's you have will determine what kind of med school you will be attending. To be curt, if you want to get into Hopkins or Harvard, having no EC's is simply not going to cut it. Schools like that reject 4.0/43T's without hesitation (and without mercy). It seems pretty obvious when you attend the interviews and talk to former students that these schools really want people who have very different talents than simply science, and I do think that this mentality is warranted. The great majority of people who have influenced our scientific/societal mindsets are not just proficent in mixing test tubes, but are true renaissance men (/women).

Numbers ain't gonna buy you a spot in a medical school.

I have a 3.72 gpa and a 35 MCAT. I thus far haven't gotten into a single medical school, though I have had 7 interviews.

I've been volunteering in the medical community and other arenas since high school, but I believe it really hurt me when I started a semester of law school and dropped out. I'm really having my dedication questioned, and while I feel that I've been able to address this concern, schools seem really uptight about it.

Part of me really resents the fact that this isn't like law school, where the subjectivity is stripped away and performance is all that matters. The other part of my fully understands why this is the case, given the needs, demands, and expectations of the profession.

My advice: give them as little room to question you as possible.

you can get in (depending on essays, interview etc) but lack of ... well... anything else will hurt you if you are aiming high. I mean, realistically, schools could fill their classes with the 1800 people who had 36+ MCAT scores right? but the averages of top schools is (with the exception of the notorious Wash U) not usually above a 35-36, or for harvard and hopkins a 34.

Do you really mean that you did ABSOLUTLY nothing else, or just nothing medically related? I mean no engineering clubs, social junk, intruments, study abroad, field camp, jobs involving social interaction, anything? Any of these would be a start.

To be frank, it would be in your best interests (both for apps and for career guidance) to start volunteering at a hospital intensively now and commit for the coming year. A little is better than nothing at all and a lot of people (myself included) dont start untill halfway through their second year or later.

But all things considered I wouldnt sweat it out too much. There is a lot to an application and you will in all liklihood get in somewhere (barring some untold weirdness/ incredible bad luck) . the real question here is where you want to go.

PostalWookie said:
haha, Wash you will take you with that MCAT, even if you killed someone.

obviously a numbers school, just as they are for undergrad

freaker said:
Numbers ain't gonna buy you a spot in a medical school.

I have a 3.72 gpa and a 35 MCAT. I thus far haven't gotten into a single medical school, though I have had 7 interviews.

I've been volunteering in the medical community and other arenas since high school, but I believe it really hurt me when I started a semester of law school and dropped out. I'm really having my dedication questioned, and while I feel that I've been able to address this concern, schools seem really uptight about it.

Part of me really resents the fact that this isn't like law school, where the subjectivity is stripped away and performance is all that matters. The other part of my fully understands why this is the case, given the needs, demands, and expectations of the profession.
i see UVA is holding it against you...

why the heck did Vandy reject you pre-secondary????