3.61 cGPA, 3.53 sGPA; 30M MCAT; Texas Schools Only

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoricuaMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my MCAT score today.

I am only applying to Texas medical schools (excluding Baylor COM and TCOM)

3.61 cGPA, 3.53 sGPA

MCAT: 30M (PS:10, VR:9, BS:11)

ER Tech for 2 years (~2500 hours, also cross trained as ICU tech and CNA)
Volunteer EMS/ first-aid (several local events)
Officer of Pre-Medical Society (3 semesters)
Worked part-time at grocery store throughout undergrad (2 years)
Shadowed primary care physician (~40 hours)
Shadowed Urologic surgeon (one procedure)
Volunteered in ER (~85 hours)
Volunteer little league football coach (2 months)
EMT-B certified
CPR/BLS for the healthcare provider certified
Fully Bilingual in english and spanish

I am Puerto Rican, for what its worth.

Any comments, thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got my MCAT score today.

I am only applying to Texas medical schools (excluding Baylor COM and TCOM)

3.61 cGPA, 3.53 sGPA

MCAT: 30M (PS:10, VR:9, BS:11)

ER Tech for 2 years (~2500 hours, also cross trained as ICU tech and CNA)
Volunteer EMS/ first-aid (several local events)
Officer of Pre-Medical Society (3 semesters)
Worked part-time at grocery store throughout undergrad (2 years)
Shadowed primary care physician (~40 hours)
Shadowed Urologic surgeon (one procedure)
Volunteered in ER (~85 hours)
Volunteer little league football coach (2 months)
EMT-B certified
CPR/BLS for the healthcare provider certified
Fully Bilingual in english and spanish

I am Puerto Rican, for what its worth.

Any comments, thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I believe you have a great shot in Texas especially since you are a URM and your GPA and MCAT are on par with most Texas schools average except Baylor.

I believe you have a great shot in Texas especially since you are a URM and your GPA and MCAT are on par with most Texas schools average except Baylor.

Thanks dude. I'm not gonna lie I am a little worried about my cumulative and science GPAs since they are a little lower than the average accepted GPAs for most Texas schools. Also, since I am in Texas, which is full of hispanics, I don't think the whole "URM" thing applies here...seems like mexican-american and other hispanic applicants are quite common in this state.

Any other thoughts / suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks dude. I'm not gonna lie I am a little worried about my cumulative and science GPAs since they are a little lower than the average accepted GPAs for most Texas schools. Also, since I am in Texas, which is full of hispanics, I don't think the whole "URM" thing applies here...seems like mexican-american and other hispanic applicants are quite common in this state.

Any other thoughts / suggestions?
While that may be true that Hispanics are common in Texas they are not that common in med school. TCOM(just using as example because i was on there website) had 10 and 20 Hispanics matriculate in 2010 and 2011 respectively that's less than 5% of the 202 entering med students in 2010 and less than 10% of the expanded 231 in 2011. (2012 stats not available yet for some reason)

While that may be true that Hispanics are common in Texas they are not that common in med school. TCOM(just using as example because i was on there website) had 10 and 20 Hispanics matriculate in 2010 and 2011 respectively that's less than 5% of the 202 entering med students in 2010 and less than 10% of the expanded 231 in 2011. (2012 stats not available yet for some reason)

Good point, and you're right, there is another school, I believe it was Texas Tech Lubbock, who had like 6 hispanics in their incoming med school class. That's a pretty small percentage.

Hopefully things work out, thanks again.

Bump.

Any other suggestions, thoughts, opinions?

Thanks

I've got similar stats to you (check my MDApps) and am applying to the same places. My advice is to apply right now and complete the secondaries ASAP. From the school-specific forums, it looks like interviews are going out to the top stat applicants right now, so after you apply it might be a bit before they get to you.

I've got similar stats to you (check my MDApps) and am applying to the same places. My advice is to apply right now and complete the secondaries ASAP. From the school-specific forums, it looks like interviews are going out to the top stat applicants right now, so after you apply it might be a bit before they get to you.

Great stats.

All secondaries were complete by june 13th and primary was transmitted june 20th.

The only thing the schools were waiting on were my MCAT scores (which I just released yesterday) and my health professions packet which is on the way as we speak, according to my advisor.

Thanks for the advice though. I wish us the best.

Update for any future applicants with similar stats who want to gauge how their application cycle might go.

5 Interview invites: Texas Tech - El Paso, UTMB, UT Houston, UT Southwestern and Texas A&M

2 Pre-matches: Texas Tech - El Paso and UT Southwestern

Will be ranking UT Southwestern #1 and matriculating there...If anyone was curious my ranking order was....

1. UT Southwestern
2. UT Houston
3. UTMB
4. Texas A&M
5. Texas Tech - El Paso

Hit me up if you got any questions/comments :thumbup:

Hi,

I wanted to know, did you end up going to UT Southwestern ? I'm currently working on my Bachelors Degree in Biology but I've had my eye set on UT Southwestern. If you are attending, is it a good medschool or what you hoped it would be ? I'm PuertoRican too, which is kind of making me nervous about the whole acceptance rates for "hispanics". I hope to hear from you!

Thanks !

Hello MedicalMarie38,

Yes I am currently attending UT Southwestern, it is an awesome school and I am very glad I decided to come here. Although the transition has been rough and there are times when the work can seem overwhelming, I am still having a lot of fun. UTSW does a great job of supporting their students and providing fun activities for us to engage in to relieve stress and foster a friendly, cooperative relationship with the student body.

Being Hispanic will help you somewhat due to demographics, but in reality UTSW is so selective that only the top minority applicants get accepted. Do not rely on your ethnicity to get you into UTSW, or any medical school for that matter. Speaking Spanish is a big plus and will help you in your career regardless of where you go, but that's about as far as it goes. Work on making your application as strong as it could possibly be with a high GPA & MCAT, plenty of extracurriculars, LORS, etc, and then perform strongly during your interview.

I hope that helps, if I can be of assistance in any other way please do not hesitate to contact me.

Cheers

That's great that your attending UTSW! Thanks so much for replying. How was your interview process? Do you have any tips on how to so a good job ? Also, did you take a class to practice for your mcat or did you do it on your own ? Sorry I'm asking a lot, I just want to be prepared ahead of time. Thank you again!