3.61 cGPA, 3.53 sGPA (?), 513 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HorseOfJuly1394

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am here to ask, given my stats, what I should be looking for in terms of Safety, Target, and Reach schools.
About me:
I am currently in the process of finishing up my primary application. I am a re-applicant for medical school, having had one interview last year.
About me: I am both Latino (Argentine) and white by most definitions, and am an Illinois resident.
Stats: 3.61 cGPA, uncertain sGPA but according to my undergraduate institution my major GPA is 3.53 (I think my advisor said once that my sGPA itself would be a 3.65, but I cannot remember perfectly). MCAT is 513. I have improved my grades dramatically, bringing my undergraduate GPA from a 3.23 my first semester to a 3.91 for my final semester.
In terms of extracurricular activities, I have 1.5 years of research experience, working in a biochemical and a toxicology lab. In addition, I participated in 1 semester of volunteering in an ICU (~48 hours) by my University, and have significant non-medical volunteering experience (100+ hours), especially in social empowerment and environmental restoration. In addition, I was heavily involved in the Jewish culture scene on my campus, and have also played in a traditional Indonesian folk music ensemble for 3 years.

Members don't see this ad.

Schools where you have a chance for an interview with your stats include:
Illinois
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Albany
New York Medical
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Tulane
Roseman (new school accepting applications sometime this year)
Your lack of shadowing and limited clinical volunteering hours may be hurting your chances.
You are competitive for any DO school so apply to at least 8 and you should receive several interviews.

Hi Faha,
I do have some limited shadowing experience. If I were to spend my gap year participating in more rigorous clinical volunteering and shadowing, would that help my case?

Hi Faha,
I do have some limited shadowing experience. If I were to spend my gap year participating in more rigorous clinical volunteering and shadowing, would that help my case?
Yes, that would help as long as it is in your application so the schools are aware of it.